• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Thanks G.A.tor. That confirms what I was thinking. The reason I asked is because Tec 40 has the first appearance of clayface and possible joker cover (I.e. depends on who you ask). I thought it may give Tec 37 a run for its money. Thanks again.

Kinzebac

When I first got into comic collecting as a kid in the 1960s just about all of my friends read comics and most collected them as well. Despite my best efforts, my own three sons read comics only briefly -- my youngest son not at all. I can't recall ever seeing any of their friends reading comics or having comics around their houses. All three of my kids like superhero movies but were not motivated to go back and read the comics the movies are based on.

You also have to take into account that there are a lot more boomers like me then are in the next generation or the generation after that.

Comic collecting may shrug off the double whammy of having fallen out of favor with kids and having the generation where comics were hugely popular (and who own the bulk of the most collectible books) pass from the scene. Hard to believe these factors won't matter, though.

On the other hand ... people have been prophesying the end of comic collecting almost as long as I've been involved with it, so who knows?

A reasonable conclusion, I think, is that anyone sinking big bucks into books expecting appreciation at the rates we have seen historically is taking on a lot of risk.

I remember the black and white implosion of the 80's, the massive store failures of the 90's, and Overstreet's "revaluing" in the 2000's. It's interesting to note that while no comic is selling as well as even the minor big 2 books of the early 90's, the industry is shipping more than twice as much product as they were in 1997. http://www.comichron.com/yearlycomicssales.html

There is far more variety and I think a healthier market than has been seen since the late 40's. I am not saying there are as many comic-book readers but there are more comics published with new distribution models and even I am picking up more digital and collected works than individual new comics now. With more ways to read comics there will always be a small subset of people who want to own the original books that started their favorite characters.

We will see more bust and boom cycles but I believe the back-issue market will be here long-term. Then again, my wife says I look at things with Disney-Made glasses.

"Gawrsh!"

There's also the disconnect between the content of modern books and the content of pre-1980 books. Of course, with the advent of CGC many people just collect cool covers, so maybe the content won't matter when current buyers think about buying GA/SA/BA books. (shrug)

I agree with your take on things, Sqeggs -- fortunately I never really have had the funds to play in what I consider to be the deepest end of the comic collecting pool. As such, I love the books I have a great deal, but should they be valued a small or great deal less in years to come, that would be disappointing, but not a financial blow that would affect my life overall. I suppose I'd just keep on collecting them as best I could. I plan to do that anyway. :)

I have come back to the oracle as I am still having trouble finding this book:

Worlds Finest Comic #3

and:

a 8.0+ Detective Comics #225

I will be in a position to purchase in about 10 days - time payments though if the grades are heading northwards!

Any leads Rick?

Thankyou Oracle!

I see wf3 around. I have a copy but not sure of anyone selling a copy right now.

Tec225 in low to mid grade is very common. But above 8.0 it is a scarce book (not sure i have ever owned a hg copy)

Thanks Rick - mirrors the exact problems I am finding.

WFC #3 nothing decently priced (for grade) is available, and Tec #225 is now being closely guarded, especially in HG.

Thankyou anyway.

Andy

I've been asking for a year!

But yup, there is a reason.

Find me one Rick......... :devil:

GAtor what is the best GA cap comic as far as bang for the buck wise and do you think this is a good sub until I could afford a GA cap comic 6d83b69937b642cb3493bdc3ab82c4f9.jpg

We’ll eventually afford a Cap GA issue, Nick!

Or maybe not… :sorry:

Winter Soldier: :censored:

Yup,but I think that winter soldier one is a good sub till then huh? lolhm:idea:

Dear Rick,

A few months ago I asked how a relative newbie could learn quickly about comic book history, particularly GA. You suggested the Benton books. I'm working my way through a couple of them now - and Wow, really informative. Learning how the genres have shifted from the late 30s to the late 80s is very interesting. Also, it's cool to find out there's nothing new under the sun after the Golden Age. Those writers and artists inspired most of what was to come in subsequent decades.

Great suggestion. Thank you!

-Keston

Dear Rick,

A few months ago I asked how a relative newbie could learn quickly about comic book history, particularly GA. You suggested the Benton books. I'm working my way through a couple of them now - and Wow, really informative. Learning how the genres have shifted from the late 30s to the late 80s is very interesting. Also, it's cool to find out there's nothing new under the sun after the Golden Age. Those writers and artists inspired most of what was to come in subsequent decades.

Great suggestion. Thank you!

-Keston

they are a great resource (thumbs u

cap27.jpg

........how much did you get that book for?

Around $500.

Oh shut up! lol

It would have been more but he got a discount because of the writing on splash page.