• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

1. What was your first comic book? Or memory of seeing a comic etc.

2. Where did you buy/view comics as a kid?

3. What was the first comic you bought in the aftermarket?

1-1973 my dad bought me a copy of silver surfer #1 for a quarter at a flea market (still have it 40 years later)...

2-flea market and newsstands (early 70's)

3-I collected the entire sa initially, but hunting down SS 2-18 was my first memory... in 1990 I bought my first action 1 for $30k (or maybe I bought for 18K and sold for 30...hard to remember these days lol )..been downhill ever since lol

GAtor,

What is your NYCC booth number? I could not find New Force in the NYCC mobile app. I will come by and heckle you. :baiting:

Also, you are a great b-baller. Have you ever hustled anyone on the b-ball court?

BOM

should be under filter (Adam) 2645?

No hustling. Not my style.

cool :)

what covers of Miss Fury did Schomburg do?

thanks Gator

issue 1 & 5, 6 I believe. Tarpe mills did most I think

GCD lists 1,2,5,6,7,8. Do you think 2,7 and 8 are misattributions?

And on that note how does GCD determine attributions?

im actually in an airport without notes so was going from memory.

hello mr gator, long time listener, first time caller.......

I was wondering, why are there not more disputes over golden age characters like with superman? did other creators have better deals? or any other character just aint worth the money compared to superman? examples like capt marvel, archie, the flash, batman etc etc. why are these characters creators heirs not after royalties? any thoughts sir?

hello mr gator, long time listener, first time caller.......

I was wondering, why are there not more disputes over golden age characters like with superman? did other creators have better deals? or any other character just aint worth the money compared to superman? examples like capt marvel, archie, the flash, batman etc etc. why are these characters creators heirs not after royalties? any thoughts sir?

pretty much all the creators are dead. No one alive to dispute lol

Of course back then the creators really didn't have rights and the publishers owned the creations (just the way it was done)

Hey Gator,

I noticed that CL had a CA Comics 46 (Holocaust cover) CGC 1.5 in their latest auction that ended up going for $1700.00. Using this as a starting or reference point what do you think a 3.0, 4.0 5.0 and 6.0 would fetch at auction?

Thanks for your time!

SLR

Edited by Stevenrams

Hey Gator,

I noticed that CL had a CA Comics 46 (Holocaust cover) CGC 1.5 in their latest auction that ended up going for $1700.00. Using this as a starting or reference point what do you think a 3.0, 4.0 5.0 and 6.0 would fetch at auction?

Thanks for your time!

SLR

Cap 46 is a book that is in incredible demand. A different 1.5 recently sold on eBay for $1800

I have priced/sold 3.0 @3500 and I've seen them push 4k for great eye appeal copy

4.0 approx 4500

5.0 approx 5500-6

6.0 approx 6-7500

Etc

Dear Gator

What is the best comic to hold on to for long term investment, that is somewhat easy to locate, and won't break the bank staying at around a few grand for the moment?

lower grade af15

Dear Gator

What is the best comic to hold on to for long term investment, that is somewhat easy to locate, and won't break the bank staying at around a few grand for the moment?

lower grade af15

Even over a cap GA schomburg cover?

Dear Gator

lower grade af15

for sure

Dear Gator

lower grade af15

for sure

I didn't relalize af 15 kept climbing that high. I'm not a a big spidey fan but as an investment type book hm......my grail is a GA cap book. I try and do both collect for value and what I like.

GAtor:

Are you more or less valuable due to the views in this thread?

Also, will Florida lose by more or less than a TD at LSU?

My value remains unaffected.

Florida will either win or lose against lsu. The differential is not relevant