• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

What are your thoughts on the future upside/downside of Brave and the Bold #54?

What are your thoughts on the future upside/downside of Brave and the Bold #54?
cool teen titans origin book. Not sure why there would be any great upside short of maybe a tt movie. (Thumbs u

gator I need your expert advice re: which would you get/what is the better deal/what would you do if you were I?

looking to get a superman 76

there is one on ebay graded at 3.5 for 750

and there is one on metropolis website that they have listed as a 4.5 (I question that grade with the spine role despite glossy cover) for 520 unslabed (I would pay to get it slabed by cgc but I wouldn't want it coming back lower then the 3.5 that I can get on ebay) so which would you get here are links to both thanks for your input keep going back and forth-dont mind spending the 750 if the book is going to end up grading higher then the metropolis book which doesn't look like a 4.5 to me, but I am far from an expert

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190928915138?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://www.metropoliscomics.com/load_bookDetails.php?id=456623&set=0

The eBay 3.5 has very little eye appeal (faded etc) and is way overpriced. I am not a fan of huge spine rolls so personally, I wouldn't buy either (and the fact that both are currently available means no one else wants to buy either right now. That should be enough of an indicator ). Just my opinion

There are plenty of supes 76s out there....patience

Cgc always tries to be consistent. That said, the human element comes into play every day. My recent submissions seem to be fairly consistent with previous past periods.

Hey, G.A.tor

You've been able to help me out in the past with my comic related questions and hoping you can do it again. I've long been interested in Golden Age books, mostly horror, and syfy ones, but know I've found myself being drawn over to the WW2 hero books. ( Timelys and early DC) Looking at all of the books though I've only ever found images of the three main axis powers we we're at war with(Germany, Japan, and Italy) and couldn't find any other countries we were at war with. For instance Finland was an axis power, but I can't seem to find any covers with them depicted on it. So did books like these get made with other axis powers on it and harder to find, or did comic publishers just stick with the main big three?

Thanks as always G.A.tor

... For instance Finland was an axis power, but I can't seem to find any covers with them depicted on it.r

Techincally there were only three Axis members (who signed the Tripartite Pact) Japan, Nazi Germany, and Italy.

Thus why you usually see Musolini, Hirohito and Hitler depicted.

Finland actually only saw their "war" as a war with Russia (who had taken land recently in the Winter War) so they sided with Germany when Germany began to fight Russia. FInland did sign the Anti-Comintern Pact. Finland repeatedly rejected signing the Tripartite pact because they specifically wanted to maintain diplomatic relations with the US.

I dont know that the US ever technically declared war on Finland (though the UK did, due to Finland's agression towards the UKs ally Russia), or that the US forces ever fought Finnish forces...

ok that was entertaining research, back to work, it is still a good question to GAtor regarding WWII depictions of any forces or leaders other than the big three.

... For instance Finland was an axis power, but I can't seem to find any covers with them depicted on it.r

Techincally there were only three Axis members (who signed the Tripartite Pact) Japan, Nazi Germany, and Italy.

Thus why you usually see Musolini, Hirohito and Hitler depicted.

Finland actually only saw their "war" as a war with Russia (who had taken land recently in the Winter War) so they sided with Germany when Germany began to fight Russia. FInland did sign the Anti-Comintern Pact. Finland repeatedly rejected signing the Tripartite pact because they specifically wanted to maintain diplomatic relations with the US.

I dont know that the US ever technically declared war on Finland (though the UK did, due to Finland's agression towards the UKs ally Russia), or that the US forces ever fought Finnish forces...

ok that was entertaining research, back to work, it is still a good question to GAtor regarding WWII depictions of any forces or leaders other than the big three.

If I'm remembering correctly, the U.S. debated sending aid to Finland during the "Winter War" between Finland and the Soviet Union in 1940. If the Finns had held out longer, the U.S. probably would have ended up sending aid. The stories about heroic Finns during that episode would have made them poor comic book villains even though they did fight on the German side when Germany invaded the Soviet Union in 1941.

To the broader point, I don't think the average person in the U.S. would have known which small European countries were on our side and which were on the German side. Hitler, Mussolini, and Tojo/Hirohito were recognizable villains.

Ok, so I'm watching Bizarre Foods and Andrew Zimmern is eating gator on a stick and I thought of you.

I hadn't noticed before that Streak the Wonder Dog made a solo appearance on the cover of GL #38. Other than Rang-A-Tang of Blue Ribbon Comics - do you know of other "super" pets (excluding the funny animal genre) that were "pup-ular" enough to solo on a cover?

And I guess I'll ask - have you tried gator on a stick? I've had alligator but not a stick. Your thoughts?

Ok, so I'm watching Bizarre Foods and Andrew Zimmern is eating gator on a stick and I thought of you.

I hadn't noticed before that Streak the Wonder Dog made a solo appearance on the cover of GL #38. Other than Rang-A-Tang of Blue Ribbon Comics - do you know of other "super" pets (excluding the funny animal genre) that were "pup-ular" enough to solo on a cover?

And I guess I'll ask - have you tried gator on a stick? I've had alligator but not a stick. Your thoughts?

GL 34, too.

142113.jpg.862794597730c9caa2d038ab2c0bdfa9.jpg

G.A.tor do you think there will be an appreciation in pre robin tecs without Batman on the cover? They seem very cheap compared to the BM covers.
minor...they are early tecs and in demand, but way less demand than batman covers...

To the broader point, I don't think the average person in the U.S. would have known which small European countries were on our side and which were on the German side. Hitler, Mussolini, and Tojo/Hirohito were recognizable villains.

Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria and Slovakia all joined the Axis and were Sovietised after the war.. The Croats were the only nation that the Nazis trusted to run their own concentration camps. To this day there is an alpine meadow high above Ljubljana which bears witness to the final struggle.

But, oh, sorry - you were talking about comic books.

Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria and Slovakia all joined the Axis and were Sovietised after the war.. The Croats were the only nation that the Nazis trusted to run their own concentration camps. To this day there is an alpine meadow high above Ljubljana which bears witness to the final struggle.

:o

:o

Sorry Rick - I'm just being a

(One man's war is another man's wikipedia)

Edited by Flex Mentallo

Question for GATOR, I have a chance to possibly purchase a recently graded 'Tec 15 in 8.0 with Cream to O/W pages. It is tied for the highest graded #15 (besides the ungraded MH 15 that graced us a few weeks ago) and was asking what you think a fair offer for this book might be?

I was thinking $8500 or something around there but with limited sales on this book in any grade let alone the highest graded to date, I dont want to insult the owner and I really want to acquire it. I looked at it before he sent it in and I, along with a few other collectors, told him it was at least a 7.5. I was very happy to see it come back an 8.0.

If anyone else would like to give me some opinion on a fair offer I would appreciate it. You can reply here or Inbox me.

Thanks everyone.