• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are comics a good investment anymore?

185 posts in this topic

I used 2 collect back late 90s and early into 2000s from an investment perspective never paying extremes unless buying a 1/1 book like the many ASM CGC 9.9s I captured into my collection.

In the last few years after I sold my first 2 or 3 collections, I asked myself am I as a collector even having much fun with this. Truth was when looking at dollars & cents in relation to my favorite hobby it had become quite the bore.

If you feel worried about the value of books your buying maybe take a few months off buying expensive books and instead, spend $100 on a huge TPB lot of one of your favorite titles. The time off will be worry free and perhaps give you time to get a better understanding of the bigger picture.

After I started collecting in late 2009 again, I haven't thought about getting money for my current collection once. That is because this time I am in it for my love of the hobby and not the dollars & cents. Also now I have shifted gears into SS yellow label sigs & sketch land which is also a nice change of pace.

Rich

yes. all the CGC books that i sold from 02'-04' are worth WAY more now, than when i sold them.

e.g.

FF 52 CGC 9.2

MS 5 CGC 9.2

ASM 28 CGC 8.5

FF 55 CGC 9.2

JIM 89 CGC 7.5

JIM 114 CGC 9.2

batman 251 CGC SS 9.2

B&B 61 CGC 9.2

ASM 18 CGC 9.2

TTA 59 CGC 8.5

TOS 58 CGC 9.0

Personally, I view comics as a hobby...I don't want to invest more than I could stand to lose if a paper blight made all the paper go away...of course since I buy much more than I sell, I'm sure it would hurt a lot now, but I'd still be able to have food and shelter.

I've heard of stagflation, but we don't seem to have the inflation yet. If we did...then collectible prices might inflate as well. No one really knows, or we'd all be doing the same thing;) doesn't look like real estate is going to inflate so fast...and that would be a change...so they will just have to make up a new name for "it".

Low grade GA comics seem to be doing fine, I get outbid ALL the time, or things in the marketplace get snapped up before I have a chance.

The key is REALISTIC pricing, not wishful pricing...or paying so much that you don't want to "take a loss" so you price it unrealistically when you go to sell the books..

:applause:

yes. all the CGC books that i sold from 02'-04' are worth WAY more now, than when i sold them.

Umm, wasn't the high water mark for the majority of books the 2006-2008 period? So aren't you WAY off on this comparison?

I'd have no qualms about buying books to pay for my kids college or braces, but I'd stress you need to buy the right books at the right price.

But for "investment purposes" the big auction houses and dealers have these jokers paying "new GPA highs" for their "investment-grade collectibles" which will translate into huge losses for the buyers going forward.

These investors also don't have the time nor the inclination to look around for deals and usually just "buy what everyone else is buying".

I honestly don't understand the mentality of buyers who bray about paying new GPA prices for anything. If I can't buy a book for 30-40% UNDER the running GPA average, I'll almost always pass on it. Imagine paying a record price and then getting hit with a 20% buyers premium on top of that.

Major keys issues won't be found under GPA.

Umm, wasn't the high water mark for the majority of books the 2006-2008 period? So aren't you WAY off on this comparison?

no. because they are selling for WAY more now still then when i sold them.

Certain comics are only a good investment if you have time to allow them to increase in value. Plus it depends on the books you are buying for investment purposes.

If you are buying titles like TOS 39, ASM 1, Hulk 1, Avengers 1, Avengers 4, FF 1, etc...those will only go up in value over time. All the data suggests it to be true.

I've yet to see any of those books drop in value over the years...one exception are the super HG books like 9.4 - 9.8 that might have had amazing values when they were rare on the census but once more books were listed in those grades...the pricing fell.

If one is buying new comics and thinks that the variant cover to Avengers Assemble or Iron Man are going to be worth money...well think again. Those books are for the most part over inflated already and probably won't increase in value much, if at all.

Of course, there are exceptions to the rule. Looks at TMNT...that book sure had serious value increases.

The bottom line is you should collect comics because you enjoy it. If you are in it for a monetary return then make sure you are buying the right key books and plan on holding them for years to come.

At least that's how I see it. YMMV.

That's acceptable as long as the GPA isn't based on an auction where the buyer just "had to have it". I have a set of lithos where someone paid 26k at auction where the set is really worth 8k (at the time I bought it). Does that mean guide price is 26k and walking into your local comic shop a Hulk 181 is going to be listed on the wall for 14k? I use art and comics a lot to link my experience to what I observe in comics. I said before that dealers are bumping the grades up and then asking way over guide based on that grade too. In my opinion: buying from a dealer for the purpose of investing is a lose-lose situation for the buyer.

Are comics a good investment? If you can get key,gold and silver issues at 60% book then yes. Dealers do it all the time. Look at the back cover of the 40th Overstreet guide. The guy paid 30k (? is that the price) for his ad and states he buys millions of dollars of comics a year. If it wasn't profitable, then he would be flipping burgers and reading comics that are printing in the daily newspaper. There is money in it.

I am torn between the money and the collecting. If I buy a CGC'ed book I can't open it, feel it, read it and enjoy it. Unlike a slabbed coin where you can see both sides there are 40 or so pages in between the comic cover that convey what the readers were experiencing when it first hit the shelves. Breaking open the book is usually not an option.

Are comics a good investment? If you can get key,gold and silver issues at 60% book then yes. Dealers do it all the time. .

Regular buyers (non dealers) will rarely get key gold and silver books at 60% guide. Sorry but if you are able to buy true key gold and silver at 60% of guide...well please let us all know how you are doing it.

Only dealers can achieve this for the most part...or if an individual is buying a ton of comics and they can negotiate a deal off a key book...perhaps it can happen.

I've bought many key books over the last year and I can tell you that even in this economy key silver books are not being sold for 60% of guide. Especially if they are already slabbed. Perhaps you can get closer to 80% of guide if the book is raw....maybe.

Hey, I could be wrong and overpaying for my books but I've yet to see it here on the sales threads or in LCS or conventions. As a mater of fact...try buying any key books at a Con for 60% of guide.... lol

Are comics a good investment? If you can get key,gold and silver issues at 60% book then yes. Dealers do it all the time. .

Regular buyers will rarely get key gold and silver books at 60% guide. Sorry but if you are able to buy true key gold and silver at 60% of guide...well please let us all know how you are doing it.

Only dealers can achieve this for the most part...

doh!

I'd have no qualms about buying books to pay for my kids college or braces, but I'd stress you need to buy the right books at the right price.

But for "investment purposes" the big auction houses and dealers have these jokers paying "new GPA highs" for their "investment-grade collectibles" which will translate into huge losses for the buyers going forward.

These investors also don't have the time nor the inclination to look around for deals and usually just "buy what everyone else is buying".

I honestly don't understand the mentality of buyers who bray about paying new GPA prices for anything. If I can't buy a book for 30-40% UNDER the running GPA average, I'll almost always pass on it. Imagine paying a record price and then getting hit with a 20% buyers premium on top of that.

hm

Regular buyers will rarely get key gold and silver books at 60% guide. Sorry but if you are able to buy true key gold and silver at 60% of guide...well please let us all know how you are doing it.

doh!

Sorry...didn't see your bolded part.

Welcome to the boards. Your join up date is... familiar.

doh!

Sorry...didn't see your bolded part.

(thumbs u

Welcome to the boards. Your join up date is... familiar.

Oh boy...here we go again. :ohnoez:

Regular buyers (non dealers) will rarely get key gold and silver books at 60% guide. Sorry but if you are able to buy true key gold and silver at 60% of guide...well please let us all know how you are doing it.

Only dealers can achieve this for the most part...or if an individual is buying a ton of comics and they can negotiate a deal off a key book...perhaps it can happen.

I've bought many key books over the last year and I can tell you that even in this economy key silver books are not being sold for 60% of guide. Especially if they are already slabbed. Perhaps you can get closer to 80% of guide if the book is raw....maybe.

Hey, I could be wrong and overpaying for my books but I've yet to see it here on the sales threads or in LCS or conventions. As a mater of fact...try buying any key books at a Con for 60% of guide.... lol

I'm actually working on that still :)

Oh, I try all the time to get the price of a book lowered...but most of the time it's a minimal reduction and the attitude is....if you want the book you better buy it now because it's only going up....(key silver and gold that is).

Kepp trying and let us know how you do. (thumbs u

Oh, I try all the time to get the price of a book lowered...but most of the time it's a minimal reduction and the attitude is....if you want the book you better buy it now because it's only going up....(key silver and gold that is).

Kepp trying and let us know how you do. (thumbs u

I've bought some art that is in high demand for less than half of its actual value. I bought one piece two years ago for about 16k and got a call less than 2 weeks later for a buyer that was willing to pay 40k plus. I've done this many times. It just takes a lot of work and luck. A piece that sells for about 10k I paid $1600. I don't see a difference here at all. Then again, maybe it's a totally different world, but the art world is the most unscrupulous minefield you will every buy and trade in.

As a mater of fact...try buying any key books at a Con for 60% of guide....

-------

putting aside a con, it's certainly doable out there...

well, it depends on what you consider "key" and the condition. When I sold my B&B 28 I think I got around 65% of OPG for it. sure, it was raw and the buyer took the chance of an overgrade and/or resto. I actually sold it as a 5.0, I had bought it from Metro as a 5.5. of course, I had paid 1/3 of 5.5 OPG for it from Metro (back when they did no reserve ebay auctions...), so I was ok with the results.

I sold my ASM 4 for 2/3 guide. Can't remember if it was here or ebay.

A few others in the same area.

Getting slabbed keys for 60% of OPG is another story. I think there's some wiggle room on raw, particularly if you can find a dealer who grades tighter than CGC in some grade range or something along those lines.