• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ebay sniping software question

17 posts in this topic

I don't use it because I am not putting my account name and password into anything other than the eBay website.

But I'm picky about stuff like that.

I snipe the old fashoned way. devil.gif

If I miss one...at least I still have my account to snipe with next time.

I don't use it because I am not putting my account name and password into anything other than the eBay website.

What is it that you're afraid of exactly?

How do you know the person that wrote the software or built the website would not use them to steal your account?

To me it's no different than replying to one of the scam emails that *look* like eBay but is just a con to get steal your account.

Why do I want to even take a chance at using something that could be used to steal my account?

Better safe than sorry.

Would you use some third party program that would log into your bank records and give you detailed information about your account?

Why do it with eBay?

FWIW, this is why I asked the board. I figured that it was safer to ask you guys who have used a service and not had your personal info misused than it was for me to take a chance with the first name that comes up on a Google search.

I snipe the old fashoned way. devil.gif

If I miss one...at least I still have my account to snipe with next time.

How do you know the person that wrote the software or built the website would not use them to steal your account?

To me it's no different than replying to one of the scam emails that *look* like eBay but is just a con to get steal your account.

That's an interesting way to look at it. I personally don't see how a legit business that is providing a useful service is the same as a scammer. Sure the danger is there, but in my mind it's so remote that I just don't see it as a concern.

Why do I want to even take a chance at using something that could be used to steal my account?

Better safe than sorry.

I can't argue with that axiom, I just don't agree with your assessment of the danger inherent in one of these services or apps. Sure the possibility is there, but there is always something between you and eBay. Should I worry about my firewall and web browser too?

To my mind, if you're a Windows user and you don't visit Windows Update once a week then the least of your concerns is what info you have stored in some third party app.

Would you use some third party program that would log into your bank records and give you detailed information about your account?

I already do, it's called Microsoft Money. I'm sure there are some Quicken and TurboTax users on the board as well.

I too use auctionsniper.com. I don't think there is a worry about putting your info on to these other sites, as long as they are tried and tested!

Saying that someone from a legit company is gonna steal your account is the same as the 95 year old in my road saying 'I'm not sure how safe it is to use my credit card on the internet'!

There is always scepticism, but it's the way to move forward thumbsup2.gif

I'm not 95 but how safe is it to use my credit card on the internet? I do, frequently, with no problems so far, but there's a lot of people out there who have been screwed. If I get to 95 and I'm not one of them, I'll be very happy.

I think you'll find there are more stories out there because the get talked about more!

It's safer to use your CC on the net than it is to use an ATM, and that is a proven fact. But of course, there are commone sense issues. I would be more catius of sites with no history/no contact details/a free email service (hotmail, yahoo etc). Of course some of these can still be OK, but I'd search around for references.

I've worked in computers and been on the internet since about 1995. I have used my CC on over 1000 different sites and about a million transactions. In that time, the only problem I had with someone else using my CC was when someone let themselves into my mother-in-laws house at night and took a single card from my wives purse. Just had to happen when we stayed there, but they came back every weekend and took 1 card from everyone! She doesnt use it AT ALL, so we didnt know until the CC co. contacted use.

Of course, whether you have insurance or not, then the CC covers you for this sort of problem, that is unless the EU have there way 893frustrated.gif

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I went with Auction Magic because it was the only one posted last night. I think I prefer the fixed pricing, rather than the pay-as-you-go deal. I've already won two auctions with it, so it seems to work like a charm. Thanks again to everyone who posted. thumbsup2.gif

I've never had a problem with www.esnipe.com.

Same pricing structure as Silver mentioned.