• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SS Books Versus Universal Books - Points Awarded

Should SS books be awarded more points than Universal books in the registry?  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Should SS books be awarded more points than Universal books in the registry?

125 posts in this topic

In the end, SS still makes a difference.

Of course it does. To people who collect SS books it makes it better. To people who don't like signatures on their books it makes it worse. A difference both ways, so why should people who don't like signatures on their books score less points than the ones who do?

Because CGC gets more business when a book is cracked and resubbed with signatures. Wake up and smell the commerce, Mr. Pegg.

I know that, I'm just trying to get past the 'SS is bettah!' blinkers with a bit of rationale. Of course SS books will score more in the hope that it puts more business the program's way.

Guest Grails

Of course it does. To people who collect SS books it makes it better. To people who don't like signatures on their books it makes it worse. A difference both ways, so why should people who don't like signatures on their books score less points than the ones who do?

You are correct. I've posted this earlier in the thread. I prefer SS books but agree that the points system is penalizing those that do not collect signatures. And before a mob comes on and says its harder to get signatures and there is extra risk involved, etc. - again, there are those that don't collect signatures so why are they penalized? SS should be given their own registry to allow for fair competition.

You are correct. I've posted this earlier in the thread. I prefer SS books but agree that the points system is penalizing those that do not collect signatures. And before a mob comes on and says its harder to get signatures and there is extra risk involved, etc. - again, there are those that don't collect signatures so why are they penalized? SS should be given their own registry to allow for fair competition.

Sounds like a bunch of tree-huggin', everyone-gets-a-trophy hippie talk goin' on in here.

Guest Grails

Sounds like a bunch of tree-huggin', everyone-gets-a-trophy hippie talk goin' on in here.

:whee:

Because CGC gets more business when a book is cracked and resubbed with signatures. Wake up and smell the commerce, Mr. Pegg.

I know that, I'm just trying to get past the 'SS is bettah!' blinkers with a bit of rationale. Of course SS books will score more in the hope that it puts more business the program's way.

Well, if you've already got the proper conclusion, it kind of renders everything moot, don't it, limey?

Well, if you've already got the proper conclusion, it kind of renders everything moot, don't it, limey?

Because back when I collected blue label slabs I didn't see why I should score less because I didn't want to fork out more for someone to write all over them as it wasn't to my personal taste.

Agendas; sometimes you lose 'em.

I voted SS gets more points because you are spending more money and the SS makes it (slightly) more of a one of a kind book. Plus the fact that a book could get a grade drop from mishandling along the way adds another element of rarity.

I'm fine with the way things are now and don't think it should get changed.

However, that being said, I would prefer to see registry competitions for Universal and SS separately. So that once your set has even one SS book, the whole set automatically jumps over to the SS competitive registry category. Likewise, if you no longer have any SS books in your set, then the whole set automatically gets put in the Universal set category.

Double the set awards and we could even make an 'undisputed' champion for those who snag both the SS and Universal #1 spots. Just throwin' out ideas.

Jerome

Registry points are (loosely) based on FMV. SS books normally and regularly sell fro a premium over their universal counterpart. Pretty simple imo.

Registry points are (loosely) based on FMV. SS books normally and regularly sell fro a premium over their universal counterpart. Pretty simple imo.

If that's the case a Batman #227 5.5 SS would be worth more points than a Universal 7.0. Doesn't make sense if that's how simple it is. That wasn't my initial point anyway.

My problem with the SS book bump is when just a colorist signs it or something (Joe Quesada signing anything for example). I can agree with a signature bump if a direct creator or someone equally iconic to the book or character (sigh, I guess that's you Stan Lee), but that's my perspective toward the SS program. Disclaimer: I have nothing against colorists in general (I've spoken to Jay Fotos from time to time and have a crush on Nei Ruffino. lol

I guess in the end it just depends on what fits into your own personal collection and not the Comics Registry. I'm thinking that's a little more important for a collector's happiness. It's why I'm out of the Registry. :)

For now.