• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SS Books Versus Universal Books - Points Awarded

Should SS books be awarded more points than Universal books in the registry?  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Should SS books be awarded more points than Universal books in the registry?

125 posts in this topic

I agree with both of these points (below) - my preference lies between these two points.

I prefer modern books in SS with a sketch or just blue label; older books, I would not want signed. I think that the paper quality is much better and the sheer number of hgh grade copies available for modern books make it OK for me to get in SS (i could always pick up the blue label later on) - to name just a few reasons.

I would appreicate, however, nice early books that were signed by the creators in pencil on the 1st page - but it is hard for me to take a marker to a GA/SA book.

So... I completely agree with the OP that this is merely a matter of opinion; as such they should carry equal weight. There are a couple of things that bother me about point allocation, but all-in-all, I am amazed at the system and am shocked I have only recently taken part in it...

I don't have a problem with SS books getting a few more points than universal. Getting a book through the signature process greatly increases it's chance for damage making getting a 9.8 even more challenging.

If it is a big source of contention, just ask Gemma to make a set specifically for SS copies. Or better yet, get the artist to do a head sketch on a copy and slab it for a 9.8. That's pretty cool to me.

Most of my collection is Signature Series books. That being said, it is my unpopular opinion that SS books should not be awarded any more points than their blue label counterparts. Take my SS Wings Comics #52 for example. Someone else owns a highgrade copy of it as well and prefers to keep it original. Is there really a "superior" copy? No, it just boils down to the collectors preference so why should the blue label collector be penalized in the registry? Its simply wrong.

Many prefer to keep the books in their original state and that should be equally respected in the registry.

Just because a book is harder to get does that make it more desirable and therefore awarded more points?

The rest of the registry would indicate this is not the case.

Just because a book is harder to get does that make it more desirable and therefore awarded more points?

In most cases, i'd say yes.

I don't see where "the registry indicates this is not the case", but if you can show me a Universal grade that's worth more than a "SS" grade........

I have no idea what the SS point markup is for most sets but for my Death/Return of Superman set it is approximately 10% per book. SS books are about twice the cost to submit with one sig plus the risk of all the extra handling. If you add another sig, or a sketch, the cost and risk goes up but the registry points do not. Factor in the extra time to find the artist at a show, contact a witness attending and prepare the book to get signed, and you have quite an investment in both time and money. All this for 10% more points.

All I'm saying is anyone with enough cash can assemble a 9.8 blue label set but it takes a little more dedication to complete a SS set. If the extra yellow label points puts a few more interesting sets at the top, I'm all for it. I'm tired of seeing sets, with no descriptions or pics winning best set.

In most cases, i'd say yes.

I don't see where "the registry indicates this is not the case", but if you can show me a Universal grade that's worth more than a "SS" grade........

I'm comparing apples to apples using the criteria that you presented. Your argument was that SS should get more points because it is harder to get. There are many books harder to get (low print runs, low grades, recalled editions, variants for example) that are not worth more points than other higher volume common as dirt books.

My point was that "harder to get" does not translate to "more registry points" consistently.

My point was that "harder to get" does not translate to "more registry points" consistently.

This is so true. There are some tough books out there listed for 25-35 points.

But if you bring them to Gemma's attention with the right supporting information, she seems to always be open to making the appropriate changes.

:cloud9:

i had a copy of avengers 1 signed by stan lee on the inside bottom of front page "stan lee 1986" it said, ididnt get the autograph but a friend did, and that didnt add any value to the book in my opinion, but it was cool.

now an autographed copy of fantastic four sighned by the king, i could see how that would be more valuable, but getting a signed ss copy of avengers intitiative 1 by dan slott, um i think its cool, but its not worth more than my univeral 1. because there will be millions of signature of slott books before he retires or dies or just quits signing books.

so new books getting signed and being more valuable, um, NO, older books signed by legends, probably, new books signed by legends who had nothing to do with the books that signed, well, thats just stupid, if they are worth more money then lets get willie mays to sign a copy of amazing spider-man 1 and make it worth more money, do you see how much sense that makes.

I have no idea what the SS point markup is for most sets but for my Death/Return of Superman set it is approximately 10% per book. SS books are about twice the cost to submit with one sig plus the risk of all the extra handling. If you add another sig, or a sketch, the cost and risk goes up but the registry points do not. Factor in the extra time to find the artist at a show, contact a witness attending and prepare the book to get signed, and you have quite an investment in both time and money. All this for 10% more points.

All I'm saying is anyone with enough cash can assemble a 9.8 blue label set but it takes a little more dedication to complete a SS set. If the extra yellow label points puts a few more interesting sets at the top, I'm all for it. I'm tired of seeing sets, with no descriptions or pics winning best set.

Totally agree with this.

......The 9.6 MOS #18 signed by Bogdanove in your set is very nice.... :applause:

The problem is with the grades above it. Should a yellow label 9.8 be worth more than a 9.9 or a 10.0 blue label? I don't think so. Therefore, the SS 9.8 has to fall somewhere between the point values for a blue label 9.8 and a blue label 9.9, and in Moderns that's only an eight point spread.

The problem is with the grades above it. Should a yellow label 9.8 be worth more than a 9.9 or a 10.0 blue label? I don't think so. Therefore, the SS 9.8 has to fall somewhere between the point values for a blue label 9.8 and a blue label 9.9, and in Moderns that's only an eight point spread.

I completely agree. I'm not fighting for giving SS books getting loads of extra points, but I do think the current point system is well deserved. In my sets the 9.8SS sits right between a 9.8 and 9.9 in points. If that is untrue in other sets, it probably should be changed.

this is just my opinion as I look at CGC SS and CGC Universal this way:

we have book A:

Marvels Project 1 variant sketch cover CGC Universal 9.8, heck let's make it a 9.9

we have book B:

Marvels Project 1 variant sketch cover CGC SS 4.0 with a signature and painting by Joe Simon

I know what I'd value more. I'm sure you do as well.

I know I know, this is a sketch cover book. Different than others? Some people might say yes because the book is meant for sketching being a blank cover and all. But comparing the two books above they're still both "comic books" nonetheless and the signature and painting on the CGC SS clearly made it the better book with much more value in the eyes of many collectors.

In the end, SS still makes a difference. Since the early days, fans go to conventions to not only meet and greet creators but to have something signed by them. Why? Because it's the nature of the typical collector to get something signed. Baseball, Basketball, etc. Signed stuff would always fetch higher and demand will always be higher. More people still value signed stuff over the regular stuff. On one hand someone can show off to his friends and say "hey, the legendary Frank Frazetta held and signed this book!", on the other.."I also have that book in the same condition, not signed though". Who would mostly get the "wow-that's-awesome" reaction from people? The Frazetta signed book. The typical collector mentality would be to give better props to the signed book. Again, just my opinion.