• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SS Books Versus Universal Books - Points Awarded

Should SS books be awarded more points than Universal books in the registry?  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Should SS books be awarded more points than Universal books in the registry?

125 posts in this topic

A signed 9.8 should never be worth the same as or more than a 9.9 or 10.0.

I agree with that for sure. Which doesn't really leave much room to increase the points for an SS.

That is how I would like to see it. SS should only get a couple point boosts and should never exceed that of a 9.9 and 10.0, imo. That way someone who has a complete set will be higher on the set list than someone who is missing books. This would place a little more importance on getting the books first. Of course if there was a set for SS and a set for Uni's this thread probably wouldn't exist hm

Jerome

I was always surprised that CGC doesn't award MORE points for SS. I think it's huge to get the creative team to sign some of these books!
'

'

I have to agree with this, I always felt the extra time and money spent to acquire signatures deserved more than just a couple points. Whenever I send a book in for a universal grade, I'm reminded how easy it is to go this route.

I've been working hard putting together a Lady Mechanika set with as many SS books as possible. If I had went the universal route, I would have a complete set at this point....easy. As it is, I'm sitting at 56% on my registry set. I've got four more books at DWC getting sigs. That hit my pocketbook for about 170 dollars, I could have gotten universals for about 60 dollars or so.

That extra effort and cost has got to be worth something, right?

Books that are more rare or costly are worth more points, why not a book with a sig, which is more rare than a universal and more costly.

That belittles the Universal collectors' registry sets in such a succinct way.

Just a note as I feel as I'm coming across as a bit of an arse, which really isn't my intention at all.

I admire people who have the dedication to collect complete runs of SS books, or who get big books SSd, or people who have great collections of sketched blank covers. I'm not trying to take away from that at all as I appreciate what goes into it.

But basically it's all down to personal preference, no?

Take Watson's sketched covers for example*. I've seen a lot of his books and they are sublime, to get them sketched and graded, crack them out to get inked then regraded, crack them out to get coloured and keep the grade is something to be applauded. They're great books and nothing should detract from that.

But an SS run of a standard title (again, no detraction, I know the effort that goes into this), a Universal collector wouldn't give a flying about it. And rightly so as it's all down to personal taste. SS collectors shouldn't be punished for the time, money and effort they put in, nut neither should universal collectors.

And to sign off, I have no vested interest in this 'argument' anymore as I don't collect slabbed books. I've just always tried to look at things fairly.

*I used Jim as an example as I've seen a lot of his collection. There are obviously many others out there who probably own just as impressive sets of sketch covers.

No. You make a good point. The effort for a ss is always greater than its blue counterpart.

If Xcgc9.8ss > Xcgc9.8 is true for FMV, effort, cost, and scarcity, it would be illogical an unfair, to me at least, for an equal amount of registry points to be awarded.

Just a note as I feel as I'm coming across as a bit of an arse, which really isn't my intention at all.

I admire people who have the dedication to collect complete runs of SS books, or who get big books SSd, or people who have great collections of sketched blank covers. I'm not trying to take away from that at all as I appreciate what goes into it.

Take Watson's sketched covers for example*. I've seen a lot of his books and they are sublime, to get them sketched and graded, crack them out to get inked then regraded, crack them out to get coloured and keep the grade is something to be applauded. They're great books and nothing should detract from that.

But an SS run of a standard title (again, no detraction, I know the effort that goes into this), a Universal collector wouldn't give a flying about it. And rightly so as it's all down to personal taste. SS collectors shouldn't be punished for the time, money and effort they put in, nut neither should universal collectors.

And to sign off, I have no vested interest in this 'argument' anymore as I don't collect slabbed books. I've just always tried to look at things fairly.

*I used Jim as an example as I've seen a lot of his collection. There are obviously many others out there who probably own just as impressive sets of sketch covers.

Cure the situation once and for all... eliminate all Registry points, period. Problem solved.

I really don't care. I've moved all of my sketch covers over to www.myslabbedcomics.com. It's a much better venue for display and no Registry wildly_fanciful_statement. (thumbs u