• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SS Books Versus Universal Books - Points Awarded

Should SS books be awarded more points than Universal books in the registry?  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Should SS books be awarded more points than Universal books in the registry?

125 posts in this topic

That's why each book should be listed in the census by who it is signed by.

(also multiple signatures / sketches should lead to more points)

Imma tell you, you poop in one hand and wish in the other...

That's why each book should be listed in the census by who it is signed by.

(also multiple signatures / sketches should lead to more points)

Imma tell you, you poop in one hand and wish in the other...

I just poop in one hand.

Why limit yourself? (shrug)

This true.

Gav, shoot for the stars and poop in both hands.

I rub them together when the first one is full.

My problem with the SS book bump is when just a colorist signs it or something (Joe Quesada signing anything for example). I can agree with a signature bump if a direct creator or someone equally iconic to the book or character (sigh, I guess that's you Stan Lee), but that's my perspective toward the SS program. Disclaimer: I have nothing against colorists in general (I've spoken to Jay Fotos from time to time and have a crush on Nei Ruffino. lol

I guess in the end it just depends on what fits into your own personal collection and not the Comics Registry. I'm thinking that's a little more important for a collector's happiness. It's why I'm out of the Registry. :)

For now.

Te other side of that is a universal maxx1 going for 20$ (on a good day) and a ss Kieth going for 300$+ and being a difference of 3 registry points.

Te other side of that is a universal maxx1 going for 20$ (on a good day) and a ss Kieth going for 300$+ and being a difference of 3 registry points.

I have never read or plan to read The Maxx.

If SS books didn't receive higher points in the Reigstry, then I would not need to acquire them anymore. I'm sure the CGC has been smart enough to see that as a marketing/selling advantage.

I was always surprised that CGC doesn't award MORE points for SS. I think it's huge to get the creative team to sign some of these books!
'

'

I have to agree with this, I always felt the extra time and money spent to acquire signatures deserved more than just a couple points. Whenever I send a book in for a universal grade, I'm reminded how easy it is to go this route.

I've been working hard putting together a Lady Mechanika set with as many SS books as possible. If I had went the universal route, I would have a complete set at this point....easy. As it is, I'm sitting at 56% on my registry set. I've got four more books at DWC getting sigs. That hit my pocketbook for about 170 dollars, I could have gotten universals for about 60 dollars or so.

That extra effort and cost has got to be worth something, right?

Books that are more rare or costly are worth more points, why not a book with a sig, which is more rare than a universal and more costly.

Also, I'll address my own selfish desires here as well :) I own no 9.9's, a sig book is the only way I could ever hope to catch anybody in a registry set with a 9.9. I think it evens the playing field a little in the competitive sets and creates a greater opportunity for some friendly competition.

A signed 9.8 should never be worth the same as or more than a 9.9 or 10.0.

I agree with that for sure. Which doesn't really leave much room to increase the points for an SS.

I'm perfectly happy with the points system right now, as far as what an SS gets you compared to a universal. Just because I would like more points, doesn't mean I think the current system is bad. :)

A signed 9.8 should never be worth the same as or more than a 9.9 or 10.0.

It should if they could keep track of who signed by the Cert #, but i know that will never happen.

Example: 9.8 Alan Moore Killing Joke vs. 9.9 Blue Label

Quick question...how are points decided?

I ask because in checking out the top two Wolverine registry sets neither has a copy of #102.5 registered. Then I checked the 'points spread' and census, for a book that is difficult to obtain in high grade, it seems the points awarded aren't equal.

1 - 9.8 (25 points)

2 - 9.6 (15)

10 - 9.4 (10)