• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original Art to Superman #14 cover and Detective #69 cover in Nov/Dec CC auction

134 posts in this topic

The reserves on these covers were set by Jerry Robinson.

I would have greatly preferred to have auctioned these pieces with no reserve so that I could bid on them for my own collection

fixed that for you! :) Too bad. They would look good next to some of your other pieces.

I hope Jerry's reserves will be more reasonable than the past prices he was reportedly looking to get for the collection

Steve, will you be selling other art from Jerry's collection? Also, do you have any of the LB Cole stuff online for viewing?

or can you even give us some broad idea of what sort of cole OA you will have for auction. published covers? how many? etc.

Wow! That's incredible!

I think Gator needs that Superman 14 OA!

Don't think the Gator can outbid the Fish on this one

What I can't fathom is that the pages even made it to auction. Seems like the Fish would have jumped on them for his already incredible GA art collection (shrug)

was thinking the same thing. These two are RIGHT up fish's alley

Those two pieces are up several collector's alleys.

Some of those collectors have shown a serious interest in this artwork, combined with net worth high enough to buy and sell the other interested parties several times over.

They weren't able to get a deal done. We'll just have to wait and see where these reserves fall and how they compare to the collection asking price in the recent past.

Well, I think based on the following information:

-Jerry tried to sell the entire collection for a number that no one who could afford to buy it determined that it was worth purchasing at that number.

-despite Stephen's attempts otherwise, the covers are being auctioned at a reserve.

we can surmise that the reserves are quite high, so there is no guarantee of an actual sale, though I'm sure that Metropolis will work hard on the part of the seller and any potential buyers to reach a sale agreement post auction if such an outcome occurs.

Regardless, it's tremendous press for ComicConnect and their auctions.

So, when we say "quite high" what are we talking about? Seven figures? High six?

Well there were more than these two pieces in the collection and it blew past the seven figure mark like it wasn't even there.

Well, I think based on the following information:

-Jerry tried to sell the entire collection for a number that no one who could afford to buy it determined that it was worth purchasing at that number.

-despite Stephen's attempts otherwise, the covers are being auctioned at a reserve.

we can surmise that the reserves are quite high, so there is no guarantee of an actual sale, though I'm sure that Metropolis will work hard on the part of the seller and any potential buyers to reach a sale agreement post auction if such an outcome occurs.

Regardless, it's tremendous press for ComicConnect and their auctions.

exactly. jerry's taken a hard line approach in the past from what I understand - and from reading between the lines on fish's comments it doesn't seem like much has changed. he was very specific in saying the reserves were chosen by jerry not him.

I would think Jerry would set a real high reserve. If it is met great, if not he can use this to gauge the what the community thinks is a fair price.

Not necessarily. Bidding when everyone knows there's a strong reserve isn't necessarily an indication of what real pricing would be. Bidding can be even more distorted if people have a fairly strong idea what the reserve is.

So, when we say "quite high" what are we talking about? Seven figures? High six?

My guess is the reserve for the Superman 14 would immediately result in a new record price for OA.

Yeah, in my mind, that's reasonable. I think it should set the record. I guess I'd be dubious if the reserve were set to double the current record or something similar.

I would think Jerry would set a real high reserve. If it is met great, if not he can use this to gauge the what the community thinks is a fair price.

Not necessarily. Bidding when everyone knows there's a strong reserve isn't necessarily an indication of what real pricing would be. Bidding can be even more distorted if people have a fairly strong idea what the reserve is.

You are 100% correct. A high reserve, especially if known will result in people bidding up to just under the reserve.

You are 100% correct. A high reserve, especially if known will result in people bidding up to just under the reserve.

Thrill bid away folks!!

Or not bidding very hard at all because they know they have no chance of beating the reserve.