• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original Art to Superman #14 cover and Detective #69 cover in Nov/Dec CC auction

134 posts in this topic

I wonder if the original cover art still exists for Action Comics #48 hm

I know Heritage has sold the OA for Action #45 so I guess it's possible.

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that much more GA and early SA OA remains in existence than we were originally led to believe.

I know condition "doesn't matter" and shouldn't really affect the ending price but I do find the condition disappointing on this Supe #14 cover. IIRC jerry's comics were cream/tan/brittle and this cover looks to be brittle at the edges too. Should restore nicely but right now the paper quality takes away from the impact, at least to this member of non-dues-paying peanut gallery

I was worried about the same thing when I looked at the picture posted in this thread. Can you imagine spending a fortune on it only to have it crumble in your hands? :eek:

I saw the cover in person at the Skirball Museum in L.A. last summer. It didn't appear brittle. It appeared to be just discoloration and glue. But, maybe an expert can chime in on this.

well, look at the corners. It looks like they have literally flaked off.

and... given that the pieces currently on displays are copies, are you sure you were looking at the real thing?

Whatever you were looking at, big chunks have clearly crumbled off the corners, sure looks brittle to me (shrug)

A long time ago, this was for sale and I kept the scan.

Thanks for posting! (thumbs u

How long ago, and do you remember what the asking price was at the time?

My guess is it was about 8 years ago. Asking was low for nowadays, about $70K but don't quote me....the first thing to go is is the memory, (thankfully not all of the comics, but wish I had one of those Amazing Fantasy 15's back) :banana:

I've been wishing for an Action 1 my whole life. Wish I had gone after original art but could never afford them and comics too. 30 years ago, remember passing on dozens of #1s thinking I'd get a better copy one day. Now, who can afford a coverless one?!! :makepoint:

I think they`re such incredible pieces that the final price will be "Did Not Meet Reserve".

What the HK lawyer said; odds of this going down at public auction ... zzz

It is awesome to see that they both exist, kind of like seeing treasure in a museum.

Would you swap an Action Comics 1 for this OA cover?

action15.jpg

Wow! I didnt know this cover existed. Is it real, real? Verified?

Is this one of the early Action covers that was offered on Ebay years ago... Remember someone offering a few of them, not sure if they were real though.