• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toon Tumblers

32 posts in this topic

Dishwasher is a big no-no for my glasses. I've had my Tumblers since July '09 and not one bit of fading. I hand wash mine when they get used. Just like Mac said, they are like any other pint glass with an emblem.

Definitely get a hold of Paul (silverandbronze). He's a 100% good guy (thumbs u

:gossip: I might have tried getting a hold of him before posting the pics, though. 2c

Ditto. I've had tumblers for years with no fading.

The OP may want to cut back on the detergent. We've found that you can crack one of the detergent tablets in half and the dishes get just as clean. Excessive heat and detergent is what causes the etching effect on glasses.

Did you buy those from me on eBay?

I've never seen a decal bleed like that. I have to think there's some chemical reaction going on there. What kind of detergent do you use in your diswasher? HCl, take me away?

I just went back to check and noticed the bleeding--yeah, mine isn't like that at all. I touch of fading along the edges here and there, but otherwise, no issues and still quite happy with 'em.

Frankly, if in a few years they fade more, I'll just go buy some new ones. Aside from a few of my favorite old coffee mugs, there aren't many other dishes I've actually enjoyed using as I have my toon tumblers.

I actually talked to Paul at the show as he was set up right beside Dale and I. Liquid dish washing gel is a no-no because it is too alkaline. If you couple that with the high temperature from a drying cycle, well it probably wouldn't be good. In essence, running decaled glass through the dishwasher probably isn't the best of ideas.

it's not so much bleeding...

the paint is kind of just turning to a powder that just rubs off if you touch it.

it took about 2 months.

our dishwasher is a miele ingognito

and we use cascade pouches.. we have sam adams glasses and all sorts of coffee cups and mugs that we have had for years without issue.

i remember reading somewhere that the toon tumblers have been going in dishwashers all the time with no problems, and the designs stay put. i can't remember where i read that.

maybe they should be handwashed only...

I actually talked to Paul at the show as he was set up right beside Dale and I. Liquid dish washing gel is a no-no because it is too alkaline. If you couple that with the high temperature from a drying cycle, well it probably wouldn't be good. In essence, running decaled glass through the dishwasher probably isn't the best of ideas.

Bullseye on both accounts. But in the 2 years I've had 'em, it really hasn't made a big difference, and I'll just replace them eventually when I need to do so. :grin:

maybe they should be handwashed only...

When I bought mine, I asked them about how to wash them and they said to keep it shiney you should always hand wash. And my friend has tumblers from Disney, which quickly became clear tumblers from the dishwasher.

Hand washing is the only way to go with any imprinted glass. My tumblers never see the dishwasher. Even the powder detergents can be nasty, and combined with a heat dry cycle it is only a matter of time.

I honestly would like to know what would remove an image off of one of these glasses

(without hurting the glass of course).

I recently got a batman robin glass that has an awesome Bob Kane

cover image from Batman # 9, BUT onthe other side it has a modern

image of duo I think done by Lee???

I don't know, but to be honest I don't like the old school art mixed with the new school -

it just doesn't gel. It's like putting a real diamond on a ring pop (real diamonds belong with Gold

and the fans of the sugary candy moderns are missing out too).

104785.jpg

I would like to remove the modern art and keep the classic Bob Kane.

:(

I honestly would like to know what would remove an image off of one of these glasses

(without hurting the glass of course).

I recently got a batman robin glass that has an awesome Bob Kane

cover image from Batman # 9, BUT onthe other side it has a modern

image of duo I think done by Lee???

I don't know, but to be honest I don't like the old school art mixed with the new school -

it just doesn't gel. It's like putting a real diamond on a ring pop (real diamonds belong with Gold

and the fans of the sugary candy moderns are missing out too).

104785.jpg

I would like to remove the modern art and keep the classic Bob Kane.

:(

Only look at the side with the older art. ;)

Of course there could always be a defective one, but mine seem to be OK, they look like new to me.

I've had some of these for maybe 3 years? at least...Took a few out to show. They have been in the dishwasher but only on the glass cycle, no Cascade, and most of the time I hand wash them.

tumblers.jpg