• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please Grade My MTU #1

23 posts in this topic

Well it looked 9.2 until the bottom of the scan loaded, which took about 10 mins.

2MB downloads... 893frustrated.gif

I'd guess VF/VF-.

I think you might get a 9.0 out of it even with the minor creases at the LRC. I have a worse looking copy that came back 8.0 from CGC. I bought it raw VF/NM.

i was gonna go with 9.0 until i looked at it a second time. found a couple of color breaking spine tics and what looks to be a small crease about 1/3 way up from bottom on right edge. i think 7.5 to 8.5 has it covered. good luck if you slab it 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

You would get more for it raw if you provide a nice scan like this one. This book has great eye appeal and someone that wants a nice raw copy would pay a decent dollar amount for it. Slabbing it would be a waste of money and time.

Wow... you guys are being pretty harsh when grading this comic. I can't believe some of you guys are going to knock this comic down to a VF or worse because of some very minor corner creases and color flake by top staple. This is a solid VF/NM IMHO. The over all eye appeal of the book is awesome. This is a hard book to get in HG simply because of the black cover. I have seen some 9.2s and 9.4s on other comics like Marvel Spotlight #5 that had less eye appeal than this comic.

I remember a Silver Age Green Lantern that got a 7.0 from CGC that looked about the same. Apparently the "double crease" on the bottom corner is a far more serious flaw than a single-crease, and may get hammered for it.

At least that was the consensus the last time.

I am going to say 7.5. Although it is a possible 8.0 depending on how perfect the back cover is, I probably wouldn't go that high. From the front cover, I can see at least 8 spine tics/stress marks that break color. There is also some color loss near the LLC, and the LLC is slightly abraded. The LRC is the most obvious wear on the book, with several color breaking creases, including one that is about 1/4 inch long, and the LRC itself is quite rounded. Then there is color loss/stress about 1/2 inch above the LRC.

The book bears wear characteristics consistent with the Iron Man #1 on page 211 of the OGG, and that book got a 7.5. I'd stick with 7.5 as my grade.

Wow... you guys are being pretty harsh when grading this comic. I can't believe some of you guys are going to knock this comic down to a VF or worse because of some very minor corner creases and color flake by top staple. This is a solid VF/NM IMHO. The over all eye appeal of the book is awesome. This is a hard book to get in HG simply because of the black cover. I have seen some 9.2s and 9.4s on other comics like Marvel Spotlight #5 that had less eye appeal than this comic.

You should see my 9.2 MTU #1 then. You would grade it a 9.6 then!

This is my MTU #1 CGC 8.0 VF. Now tell me that Werner_Von_Doom's copy isn't in better grade than VF. If you compare the 2 Werner_Von_Doom's has to be a 9.0 or 8.5 at the least. It is hard to tell by my photos, but there are severe stress lines at top and bottom staples along with 8-10 other stress lines or dings along the spine. The LRC is mangled at the tip and missing color which to me is worse than a couple of creases.

418566-full.jpg

418567-toplabel.jpg

418569-bottom.jpg

418570-topstaple.jpg