• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Do We Achieve Pro-Active Disclosure In The Marketplace?

How To Achieve Pro-Active Disclosure  

282 members have voted

1. 1. How To Achieve Pro-Active Disclosure

513 posts in this topic

Ever hear of the French revolution? Happened in a place called Europe.

Wouldn't the French revolution be an example of LACK of governance? The ensuing chaos was so bad that they ended up going back to a totalitarian regime.

Against what were they revolting, Tim? I know I don't have to walk you through this. But the point of this argument isn't history, it's the fact that you can't just make random comparisons to make a point. The comparison needs to be relevant, and to compare fascists, communists, nazis, to pressing, much less medicine, is a red herring.

how I feel a community should hang together.

So who voted you king dork, protector of the pocketbook of the innocent masses?

Now that you've admitted it has nothing to do with anyone but you, you can stop treating everyone like we're all dumbasses. It's getting old quickly.

(worship) Exactly Nick is trying to push his beliefs on us! Just because he hates pressing doesn't mean everyone feels the same way.

All hail NICK (worship)king dork, protector of the pocketbook of the innocent masses (worship):roflmao:

How about those who care ask, those who do not don't ask.

Why would we want it to be simple when we can FUBAR the whole situation? We should be our own government.

Well, some people think we need governance. Thank God they're looking out for my best interests because I'm incompetent and can't make decisions on my own.

I can't think of any situation that governance can help, it's not like the medical profession can benefit from governance

Are you comparing pressing to practicing medicine? I'm not sure what relevance that has.

Just trying to say that governance is not a bad thing, can be beneficial if applied correctly, and mandating proactive disclosure is hardly the evil that it seems to be claimed by some.

Well then if we're just making random comparisons, then let's look at how well governance worked in Russia in the 1920s & 1930s, Germany in the 1930-40s, Spain, France, Italy, etc.

I can make bad comparisons too.

You certainly can - France?

You might want to read a few books about it - it's called learning.

OK genius, I'm calling your bluff. The French revolution happened because the people were against autocratic governance. Fits perfectly in with what I said. What learning do I need?

Why would we want it to be simple when we can FUBAR the whole situation? We should be our own government.

Well, some people think we need governance. Thank God they're looking out for my best interests because I'm incompetent and can't make decisions on my own.

I can't think of any situation that governance can help, it's not like the medical profession can benefit from governance

Are you comparing pressing to practicing medicine? I'm not sure what relevance that has.

Just trying to say that governance is not a bad thing, can be beneficial if applied correctly, and mandating proactive disclosure is hardly the evil that it seems to be claimed by some.

Well then if we're just making random comparisons, then let's look at how well governance worked in Russia in the 1920s & 1930s, Germany in the 1930-40s, Spain, France, Italy, etc.

OK genius, I'm calling your bluff. The French revolution happened because the people were against autocratic governance. Fits perfectly in with what I said. What learning do I need?

Probably the meaning of the word governance.

"As a process, governance may operate in an organization of any size: from a single human being to all of humanity; and it may function for any purpose, good or evil, for profit or not."

It's only a bluff when you don't know what you are talking about.

"As a process, governance may operate in an organization of any size: from a single human being to all of humanity; and it may function for any purpose, good or evil, for profit or not."

I'm just quoting this so that when you sober up and come back to read all this you can see how little sense you're making.

Seriously, and not a bit sarcastic, one the most effective ways to encourage pro-active disclosure of pressed books is to let the world be safe for people who press books and want to sell pressed books to people who don't mind pressed books.

Recall Gator's description of offering two books, one pressed, and the buyer choosing the one that was pressed. Now imagine if people who despise pressing descended on that same buyer and told him the book was tainted, and that it was restored and since it was restored it should really be in a purple holder and if it's a in purple holder that means it is worth 10% as much as the books that's not pressed and even at that price the buyer should never, ever epect to sell it for as much as he paid, no matter how long he waits. In that scenario, I guarantee youi most buyers avoid the pressed books. (not counting the ones who are so confused or so turned they decide to collect no books)

If people want to buy and sell pressed books, tell them disclose it and we will not try to vilify you or your book, and I guarantee you there will be more disclosure.

Of course I also guarantee there will be more books pressed and more pressed books sold and resold.

Whether a collector can live with that may in some cases come down to whether he wants it to be easier for him to avoid buying pressed books himself, or whether he's more concerned about making others avoid buying them.

I'm just quoting this so that when you sober up and come back to read all this you can see how little sense you're making.

Makes perfect sense to me - which parts can't you understand?

Seriously, and not a bit sarcastic, one the most effective ways to encourage pro-active disclosure of pressed books is to let the world be safe for people who press books and want to sell pressed books to people who don't mind pressed books.

Recall Gator's description of offering two books, one pressed, and the buyer choosing the one that was pressed. Now imagine if people who despise pressing descended on that same buyer and told him the book was tainted, and that it was restored and since it was restored it should really be in a purple holder and if it's a in purple holder that means it is worth 10% as much as the books that's not pressed and even at that price the buyer should never, ever epect to sell it for as much as he paid, no matter how long he waits. In that scenario, I guarantee youi most buyers avoid the pressed books. (not counting the ones who are so confused or so turned they decide to collect no books)

If people want to buy and sell pressed books, tell them disclose it and we will not try to vilify you or your book, and I guarantee you there will be more disclosure.

Of course I also guarantee there will be more books pressed and more pressed books sold and resold.

Whether a collector can live with that may in some cases come down to whether he wants it to be easier for him to avoid buying pressed books himself, or whether he's more concerned about making others avoid buying them.

Oh the irony.

I wouldnt go that far. Pressing can be a very personal issue. Nick is a good guy. Perhaps he may have gotten ahead of himself but there is no need to ridicule. Same as with Rino earlier. We are a community and it is good to air things out imo. Opinions are usually self serving and there is nothing wrong with that. A nice book is a nice book in my eyes. I want it I try to buy it. Pressed or not. There are what I call purist collectors out there and they want nice unmolested books. Hey thats their thing. Yet we are all collecting just in different ways.

Oh joy. Another crusader has come to take on sales threads in an effort to protect me, the naive and innocent buyer.

I hope the thanks is payment enough to keep you guys hard at work with your demon slaying. :whatev:

Oh the irony.

I expected that. But it's too the point. Yes, I allowed a book to be advertised with descriptions of work done on it using words describing the 'work' -- words like "color touch" and "cleaned" and "tears sealed" but without demanding the word restored be added also. I should also add that when the book was sold I did tell the buyer that this community would call it restored.

The point is that the way some people here say a pressed book is restored, I think people can easily imagine that one day disclosure of pressing will not be enough for everyone here. Some will likely insist the disclosure is not being honest unless and until they use the word restored.

The question is whetther that debate will end up completely overtaking this one.

Wouldn't the French revolution be an example of LACK of governance? The ensuing chaos was so bad that they ended up going back to a totalitarian regime.

Against what were they revolting, Tim? I know I don't have to walk you through this. But the point of this argument isn't history, it's the fact that you can't just make random comparisons to make a point. The comparison needs to be relevant, and to compare fascists, communists, nazis, to pressing, much less medicine, is a red herring.

Yes Dan, but to equate ANY governance with some of the most extreme cases of totalitarian oppression is also a red herring.

Yes Dan, but to equate ANY governance with some of the most extreme cases of totalitarian oppression is also a red herring.

Tim, that's the point I was trying to make. You can make ridiculous comparisons on both sides of the coin, but neither have any relevance.

how I feel a community should hang together.

Now that you've admitted it has nothing to do with anyone but you, you can stop treating everyone like we're all dumbasses. It's getting old quickly.

It's not just him dinkus. I want proactive disclosure too. So do a lot of boardies according to the poll.

Mike I think he means the poll from this thread not the other one.