• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Do We Achieve Pro-Active Disclosure In The Marketplace?

How To Achieve Pro-Active Disclosure  

282 members have voted

1. 1. How To Achieve Pro-Active Disclosure

513 posts in this topic

You ask. :gossip:

Not a problem - and what's the likelihood that I'll get an honest answer when the seller knows I don't buy pressed books?

Probably the same likelihood as if that person pro-actively disclosed it.

I will press everything here on out. Because then my collection will be worth more :insane:

In all seriousness I have always admired those who are pro-active in disclosure. And when I became (somewhat) more knowledgeable, it is the path I took as well. Just seems right.

And as much as I like Dale Roberts I ask this. If it is too hard to disclose upfront since you will have to find out what books were or were not pressed, etc.. What difference would it make later? If you dont know, you dont know. But why not just log your books as pressed or not? It isnt difficult. Im sure you know which are restored right? What is the difficult aspect of keeping another set of notes?

Because it is a complete waste of time and nobody besides some of those on the CGC boards care. I've been to plenty of shows and never heard one person ask if a book was pressed. Never.

Within the next 5 to 10 years all of the books that can benefit from pressing will have been pressed so if collecting CGC is your thing and you don't like pressing then you might as well find a new hobby.

You're as bananas as Rino. Possibly worse as you're coherent.

I will press everything here on out. Because then my collection will be worth more :insane:

In all seriousness I have always admired those who are pro-active in disclosure. And when I became (somewhat) more knowledgeable, it is the path I took as well. Just seems right.

And as much as I like Dale Roberts I ask this. If it is too hard to disclose upfront since you will have to find out what books were or were not pressed, etc.. What difference would it make later? If you dont know, you dont know. But why not just log your books as pressed or not? It isnt difficult. Im sure you know which are restored right? What is the difficult aspect of keeping another set of notes?

Because it is a complete waste of time and nobody besides some of those on the CGC boards care. I've been to plenty of shows and never heard one person ask if a book was pressed. Never.

Within the next 5 to 10 years all of the books that can benefit from pressing will have been pressed so if collecting CGC is your thing and you don't like pressing then you might as well find a new hobby.

So I should hand out flyers for CFP at shows, explain pressing and how most if not ALL major dealers press books. THEN I can also pimp the CBCA, the need for disclosure of restoration, and how OSPG used to consider it resto before CGC? I think it is a great idea, you?

But please, tell me how you are right and I am wrong.

P.S. You have never been to a show I was at.

Pat,

Seriously, do you have any idea how many books I go through? Obviously not or you wouldn't suggest it is just as easy as keeping another set of notes. And the simple fact is, I don't want to spend any more time "working" than I do now.

I guarantee that it is easier for you to ask me, than it is for me to dig back through invoices to find out what nobody buy a few guys on this board care about.

And I deal in so few restored books of any kind, I can pretty much name them right off the top of my head, and I always put an R in the price tag to note restoration.

Dale

I ask for obvious reasons. The number one is you are very open about the dealer aspect. So your input is valuable Dale.

That's because most are not aware of the process.

Thanks for the advice

whilst you are my favourite boardmember

Not a problem - and what's the likelihood that I'll get an honest answer when the seller knows I don't buy pressed books?

Depends on the seller. The one that's going to lie, is going to lie regardless. Not to be a basturd, but do you label the books on your website as "Not Pressed" ? I honestly haven't looked.

We don't. We don't say restored either unless we know.

If we knew any books were pressed we would say so in the description.

This is about sellers who know books have been pressed stating that fact upfront.

It's not about anything else.

Some wild assumptions there. I think a good fart could break this one loose. (thumbs u

Some wild assumptions there. I think a good fart could break this one loose. (thumbs u

lol You just missed one here. I just lit my wife up! :banana:

Depends on the seller. The one that's going to lie, is going to lie regardless. Not to be a basturd, but do you label the books on your website as "Not Pressed" ? I honestly haven't looked.

This is about sellers who know books have been pressed stating that fact upfront.

Actually it is. Proactive disclosure works both ways. I want to know which books haven't been pressed so I can crack, press and resub them.

lol You just missed one here. I just lit my wife up! :banana:

You are incorrigible. Doesn't she smoke? You could have blown you both sky high.

Actually it is. Proactive disclosure works both ways. I want to know which books haven't been pressed so I can crack, press and resub them.

I love it when you talk dirty :luhv:

What make you think I would sell anything to you?

What make you think I would sell anything to you?

You're a greedy British anti-presser.

I will be looking into getting a few samples tested for damage soon. Both old and new, pressed books. I would ideally like to see microscopic pictures of the paper fibers in comparison to books that have not been pressed.

Will that realistically show anything about the pressing? Might it not show effects of how the book was stored or preserved, maybe even prior to your owning it.

If you could look at books which you purchased at the same time, have been stored in the exact same conditions and one pressed and one not pressed, you might come up with something useful.

I have spoken with Kenny about getting half of a book pressed, leaving the other half not pressed.

I will be looking into getting a few samples tested for damage soon. Both old and new, pressed books. I would ideally like to see microscopic pictures of the paper fibers in comparison to books that have not been pressed.

Will that realistically show anything about the pressing? Might it not show effects of how the book was stored or preserved, maybe even prior to your owning it.

If you could look at books which you purchased at the same time, have been stored in the exact same conditions and one pressed and one not pressed, you might come up with something useful.

I have spoken with Kenny about getting half of a book pressed, leaving the other half not pressed.

Hey thats something new, lets give that a try :idea:

You can also get digital cameras that attach to microscopes and take before and after pictures of the fibers. That not only works for determining the exact changes, it works for communicating those changes clearly to other people via the images. If I could think of more applications to use one of these below for more than just pressing, I might geek out enough to buy one.

boom_microscope.jpg

We have this disclaimer on our website.

"If we know that any of our comics are restored or manipulated in any way (such as trimmed, pressed, colour touched sealed tears, etc) then we will list it in the notes for that individual comic. We do not restore or manipulate comics ourselves and will always disclose any such work that we are aware of."

In the 8 months since we started, we've sold two pressed books that were both proactively disclosed.

We have this disclaimer on our website.

"If we know that any of our comics are restored or manipulated in any way (such as trimmed, pressed, colour touched sealed tears, etc) then we will list it in the notes for that individual comic. We do not restore or manipulate comics ourselves and will always disclose any such work that we are aware of."

In the 8 months since we started, we've sold two pressed books that were both proactively disclosed.

(thumbs u