• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Do We Achieve Pro-Active Disclosure In The Marketplace?

How To Achieve Pro-Active Disclosure  

282 members have voted

1. 1. How To Achieve Pro-Active Disclosure

513 posts in this topic

In response to the cbca kool aid drinkers.... I helped create the org. And I press books, as do 2 other board of directors-founders. But thanks Dale, pretend the cca and NOD are the same. They arent..

Dale, Just to back Pat up here, I also helped create the organzation, I am an officer and former president. I have had books pressed and will continue to have books pressed. I have no problem with pressing.

CBCA is not NOD - it really isn't. With one or two exceptions, most of the people that you probably associate with NOD and antipressing are no longer associated with the CBCA (at least not actively). The opinions on pressing are probably just as diverse among CBCA members as they are here. In fact there is far more discussion of pressing here than on the CBCA boards. As about half the membership joined from outside these boards, I suspect that many of the newest members know very little if anything about pressing. To be honest, CBCA seems to be evolving into more of social organization than anything else. (shrug)

That is very good to hear.

I will press everything here on out. Because then my collection will be worth more :insane:

In all seriousness I have always admired those who are pro-active in disclosure. And when I became (somewhat) more knowledgeable, it is the path I took as well. Just seems right.

And as much as I like Dale Roberts I ask this. If it is too hard to disclose upfront since you will have to find out what books were or were not pressed, etc.. What difference would it make later? If you dont know, you dont know. But why not just log your books as pressed or not? It isnt difficult. Im sure you know which are restored right? What is the difficult aspect of keeping another set of notes?

Pat,

Seriously, do you have any idea how many books I go through? Obviously not or you wouldn't suggest it is just as easy as keeping another set of notes. And the simple fact is, I don't want to spend any more time "working" than I do now.

I guarantee that it is easier for you to ask me, than it is for me to dig back through invoices to find out what nobody buy a few guys on this board care about.

And I deal in so few restored books of any kind, I can pretty much name them right off the top of my head, and I always put an R in the price tag to note restoration.

Dale

:idea: P R

Seriously, pressing is NOT restoration. It is a different process, but calling pressing restoration is like calling water milk. The simple fact that you call it that doesn't make it so.

Drives me nuts when people who frequent the CGC boards basically ignore CGC's stance on pressing. They don't care. If you don't believe it, ask them. I have and they don't.

If you want to go to the CBCA board and post such drivel that is fine. The kool aid drinkers will lap it right up.

Sorry for going off on you guys, but I feel the post was inappropriate in a grown up conversation.

Dale,

First, I don't think Sha is calling pressing restoration. I interpret her post as your simply adding a "P" on your book notes in the same way you post an "R" for restored books.

Second, as others stated, the CBCA rarely even discusses pressing. In fact, the topic was only recently brought up over there as a carry over from the discussion here--and nowhere near the extent that it continues to go on here. I'm totally fine with pressing as are other members who are actively involved in the organization. I'm fine with comparisons and analogies... providing they're accurate. You'd certainly dislike my painting all dealers with a broad brushstroke as I'm sure you'd not want others to place you in the company of some dealers.

Third, I'm kind of disappointed. I haven't been a customer of yours but I've always looked through your sales threads as you seem to uncover quite a bit of different stuff. Heck! Your booth was the first I hit at NY this year. But there is something that bothers me about someone who consciously holds back information from a potential buyer--regardless of whether they ask or not. I completely understand that it takes more time to keep track of add'l info, and more often than not, that info is just not available. As buyers, we can really only ask so much from sellers--full-time or part-time.

And up to this point, I've really only heard positive things about you... but to hear from your own mouth (relatively speaking) that you won't actively disclose information about a book when you may know about it? It just doesn't strike me as completely honest and forthright. It's goes along with what my old battalion commander used to tell us all the time, "Do the hard right versus the easy wrong." While it takes more work to keep track of additional details, I think it speaks volumes about that person. And while I thoroughly respect the belief that pressing isn't wrong (because, again, I also espouse this mindset), that doesn't mean others aren't or wouldn't be bothered by it and wouldn't want to know (because let's face, we all forget to ask some questions about some books we've purchased).

I understand that my opinion doesn't really matter in the long since I've not been a purchasing customer from you up to this point and am but one member of the boards (amongst MANY). And please don't think I'm painting you as a "bad guy" or anything along those lines as I am not. I just think it would be an opportunity to take the higher road in taking care of customers.

2c

Sorry for misunderstanding. I think if you look back at her post, you can see how I took it wrong though.

And in my opinion, I am doing the right thing by disclosing. Its not hard for me to do because I know it is the right thing. The easy thing would be never to mention it and go on about my business, and I choose not to do that.

I still think many have lost sight of the forest for the trees. Disclosure is the goal, not proactivity. I am full on in support of disclosure. I don't think you can expect more.

I did have the urge to start arguing about how pressing is restoration but my deja-vu sense started tingling and I just don't have several hours for the ensuing argument.

I did have the urge to start arguing about how pressing is restoration but my deja-vu sense started tingling and I just don't have several hours for the ensuing argument.

What time you setting off in the morning?

I'm just about to look at train times now. I'm thinking that it'll be something like leave at 10 am and arrive Midday. :juggle:

I'm just about to look at train times now. I'm thinking that it'll be something like leave at 10 am and arrive Midday. :juggle:

Cool - I'll text you about 11ish (thumbs u

Do you know how far the train station is from the centre?

You never text me. :(

My choices are....

... leaves 10.01, arrives 12.01 costs £16.40

... leaves 10.37, arrives 11.45 costs £40.60 :eek:

I don't want to upset Watson :gossip:

Not again.

Surely, in this community, we can come up with at least a single book that was pressed 20-25 years ago, no?

Pick just about any "Recil Macon".

I don't want to upset Watson :gossip:

Not again.

(shrug)

In response to the cbca kool aid drinkers.... I helped create the org. And I press books, as do 2 other board of directors-founders. But thanks Dale, pretend the cca and NOD are the same. They arent..

Dale, Just to back Pat up here, I also helped create the organzation, I am an officer and former president. I have had books pressed and will continue to have books pressed. I have no problem with pressing.

CBCA is not NOD - it really isn't. With one or two exceptions, most of the people that you probably associate with NOD and antipressing are no longer associated with the CBCA (at least not actively). The opinions on pressing are probably just as diverse among CBCA members as they are here. In fact there is far more discussion of pressing here than on the CBCA boards. As about half the membership joined from outside these boards, I suspect that many of the newest members know very little if anything about pressing. To be honest, CBCA seems to be evolving into more of social organization than anything else. (shrug)

To further expound on this, I have little knowledge of the goings on of the CBCA. When the organization first formed, I was fairly excited and actually filled out an application and I believe I would have been a member (based on conversations with Mike). However, very quickly several former NOD members became very vocal about the direction and goals of the organization and I withdrew my application.

Glad to hear that new membership has taken over and I very sincerely hope you have the hobby's best interests at heart and I will keep an open mind (and a closed mouth) about your activities until I know more about it.

I do know that any organization of which Ricky Evans is a member can't be that bad. I hope to be just like him when I grow up.....well except for that one bad habit.

I will press everything here on out. Because then my collection will be worth more :insane:

In all seriousness I have always admired those who are pro-active in disclosure. And when I became (somewhat) more knowledgeable, it is the path I took as well. Just seems right.

And as much as I like Dale Roberts I ask this. If it is too hard to disclose upfront since you will have to find out what books were or were not pressed, etc.. What difference would it make later? If you dont know, you dont know. But why not just log your books as pressed or not? It isnt difficult. Im sure you know which are restored right? What is the difficult aspect of keeping another set of notes?

Pat,

Seriously, do you have any idea how many books I go through? Obviously not or you wouldn't suggest it is just as easy as keeping another set of notes. And the simple fact is, I don't want to spend any more time "working" than I do now.

I guarantee that it is easier for you to ask me, than it is for me to dig back through invoices to find out what nobody buy a few guys on this board care about.

And I deal in so few restored books of any kind, I can pretty much name them right off the top of my head, and I always put an R in the price tag to note restoration.

Dale

:idea: P R

Seriously, pressing is NOT restoration. It is a different process, but calling pressing restoration is like calling water milk. The simple fact that you call it that doesn't make it so.

Drives me nuts when people who frequent the CGC boards basically ignore CGC's stance on pressing. They don't care. If you don't believe it, ask them. I have and they don't.

If you want to go to the CBCA board and post such drivel that is fine. The kool aid drinkers will lap it right up.

Sorry for going off on you guys, but I feel the post was inappropriate in a grown up conversation.

Dale,

First, I don't think Sha is calling pressing restoration. I interpret her post as your simply adding a "P" on your book notes in the same way you post an "R" for restored books.

Second, as others stated, the CBCA rarely even discusses pressing. In fact, the topic was only recently brought up over there as a carry over from the discussion here--and nowhere near the extent that it continues to go on here. I'm totally fine with pressing as are other members who are actively involved in the organization. I'm fine with comparisons and analogies... providing they're accurate. You'd certainly dislike my painting all dealers with a broad brushstroke as I'm sure you'd not want others to place you in the company of some dealers.

Third, I'm kind of disappointed. I haven't been a customer of yours but I've always looked through your sales threads as you seem to uncover quite a bit of different stuff. Heck! Your booth was the first I hit at NY this year. But there is something that bothers me about someone who consciously holds back information from a potential buyer--regardless of whether they ask or not. I completely understand that it takes more time to keep track of add'l info, and more often than not, that info is just not available. As buyers, we can really only ask so much from sellers--full-time or part-time.

And up to this point, I've really only heard positive things about you... but to hear from your own mouth (relatively speaking) that you won't actively disclose information about a book when you may know about it? It just doesn't strike me as completely honest and forthright. It's goes along with what my old battalion commander used to tell us all the time, "Do the hard right versus the easy wrong." While it takes more work to keep track of additional details, I think it speaks volumes about that person. And while I thoroughly respect the belief that pressing isn't wrong (because, again, I also espouse this mindset), that doesn't mean others aren't or wouldn't be bothered by it and wouldn't want to know (because let's face, we all forget to ask some questions about some books we've purchased).

I understand that my opinion doesn't really matter in the long since I've not been a purchasing customer from you up to this point and am but one member of the boards (amongst MANY). And please don't think I'm painting you as a "bad guy" or anything along those lines as I am not. I just think it would be an opportunity to take the higher road in taking care of customers.

2c

Sorry for misunderstanding. I think if you look back at her post, you can see how I took it wrong though.

And in my opinion, I am doing the right thing by disclosing. Its not hard for me to do because I know it is the right thing. The easy thing would be never to mention it and go on about my business, and I choose not to do that.

I still think many have lost sight of the forest for the trees. Disclosure is the goal, not proactivity. I am full on in support of disclosure. I don't think you can expect more.

I do see where you first interpreted her post like that which is why I offered my reading of Sha's post. Looks like we're copacetic there. :)

And Dale, believe me--I understand proactive disclosure isn't always easy. I do hope you understand I am not lumping you in the same group as those who will not disclose when asked. Those are a special group of dealers... :mad: But I will tell you this much about myself: I'm just 30 and I teach. I haven't taught for decades upon decades yet so I still tend to think I can make a difference, even if in a small way. I also worked for a systems engineer when I was in the military so whenever I see a problem, I look for ways to fix it. Added together, I still think it's possible to work towards finding best possible solutions versus pretty good ones.

Passive disclosure is better than uninformed selling and world's better than nondisclosure... but proactive disclosure should still be the goal. And it has to start somewhere...

I do know that any organization of which Ricky Evans is a member can't be that bad. I hope to be just like him when I grow up.....well except for that one bad habit.

I know, I hate the way he looks down his nose at me when he talks to me too.

To further expound on this, I have little knowledge of the goings on of the CBCA. When the organization first formed, I was fairly excited and actually filled out an application and I believe I would have been a member (based on conversations with Mike). However, very quickly several former NOD members became very vocal about the direction and goals of the organization and I withdrew my application.

Glad to hear that new membership has taken over and I very sincerely hope you have the hobby's best interests at heart and I will keep an open mind (and a closed mouth) about your activities until I know more about it.

:applause:

Wait until you meet their newest member; Jim Jones. I hear he travels with his own brand of "Kool-Aid."