• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suggested Template for Marketplace Information Regarding Condition

Template  

264 members have voted

1. 1. Template

203 posts in this topic

I like your template, Sharon, but I would add that it might be easier to include "Rusty Staples", "Date Stamp" & "Complete" under a section called "Notes" - where any defects, anomalies, etc would be listed. For example: light tanning to front/back cover, centerfold detached at lower staple, date stamp on cover, 1/2" tear interior pages, etc. Just a thought

You know, it's funny, I usually add this information for eBay, Angelo, for some reason I write less here, but these are good suggestions and perhaps after a few days, we can come up with something a little better after seeing all the suggestions

It was Joey's Template, btw, not mine. He gets the credit for the idea....I just liked it:)

I'd be happy to start doing this, and will actually try and implement it on a mass scale in the Holiday thread. It's a significant added time investment on some smaller books, but just to prove it can work under any circumstances, I'll take the extra time to make it happen.

Since we buy slabs on here as well as raw, would this make sense?

CGC case cracked: YES ___ NO ___

I've had two situations where a seller either mailed a book with a cracked case and admitted later it was cracked before shipping, or caught it right before packing the case was shattered across the back.

Serious comment: I'm concerned about placing more stigma on some of these descriptors. Date stamps in particular. The more you list, the more people worry, and slabbing has already driven people crazy trying to find or avoid certain defects that CGC treats more or less severely. (ultimately this rationale is driving the bulk of pressing - disclosed or not).

Sarcastic cynical comment: How about simply listing a grade, pertinent defects, and a scan?

Serious comment: I'm concerned about placing more stigma on some of these descriptors. Date stamps in particular. The more you list, the more people worry, and slabbing has already driven people crazy trying to find or avoid certain defects that CGC treats more or less severely. (ultimately this rationale is driving the bulk of pressing - disclosed or not).

Sarcastic cynical comment: How about simply listing a grade, pertinent defects, and a scan?

Well, YOU could...this is just a suggested template. I think this way, people who are concerned about disclosure can see which sellers disclose (without having a blacklist) and they can use freedom of choice when making a decision who to buy from.

If the "I don't give a damn" people prefer buying from people with less information, they can make more purchases from those people.

Like Brian said, this is a LOT of work for a seller, but I'm personally willing to try it.

This is an excellent post and worthy of being quoted and meditated on.

Things have been pretty decent here with a relatively high level of satisfaction. The wheel really isn't broken. Most people list pertinent defects and front and rear scans on a questionable book anyway, and those of you who are extremely picky buyers send a list of questions that would never really be covered by any template.

I really see more separation coming from the template idea. More rules = more division in my experience.

Tape ...

Check doh!

BTW, having a suggested list, doesn't mean you can't make your own changes.

Could have an Additional Details field with suggestions in brackets (tape, cracked case, moisture damage).

(shrug)

How's this as an example?

Pressed: It was printed on a "press".

Page Quality: They still turn.

Date Stamps: I've never dated anyone with a tramp stamp.

Distributor Ink: Probably

Grade: Pretty damn nice.

Price: How much are you offering?

Restored: Who's definition are we using?

Complete: It's a copy of Youngblood. Yes. It's complete mess.

Rusty Staples: Any relation to Rusty Wallace?

Things have been pretty decent here with a relatively high level of satisfaction. The wheel really isn't broken. Most people list pertinent defects and front and rear scans on a questionable book anyway, and those of you who are extremely picky buyers send a list of questions that would never really be covered by any template.

I really see more separation coming from the template idea. More rules = more division in my experience.

I hear ya Roy. I'm willing to give it a try and see whether or not more people are more confident because there's more information. That's why I'm willing to try it. I certainly want it to be a "rule" that requires sellers to do this, but I look at it as a marketing technique. We'll see. I certainly don't feel I "need" to do this but I think it could be helpful for the buyers.

I think any template should be voluntary. I am willing to use because it's my decision to use it. Any talk of making it mandatory is where I start to balk.

(thumbs u

Things are fine as-is. I have had far more trouble with deadbeat buyers on the selling side than I have with sneaky sellers on the buying side. Actually, it's been about 100% in favor of the former.

Based on the original list:

Pressed:

Page Quality:

Date Stamps:

Distributor Ink:

Grade:

Price:

Restored:

Complete:

Rusty Staples:

I think that some type of list could work. I think that PQ, distributor ink and rusty staples would need to be removed though. For a list to work, I'd say that all of the items in question would have to be simple enough so that a "Yes" or "No" answer could be given without hesitation. "Pressing" and "restoration" could be answered by a simple "Yes" or "No". If something as ambiguous as distributor ink or rusty staples were included, there would be too much room for error as with very minor cases of each defect rely completely on the keen eye of the person doing the grading. When it comes to specific defects like this, it should all just boil down to the final grade that the book is being advertised as.

If *I* saw the information upfront, I'd buy more.

It's not a rule...it's a suggestion, even if we asked to have it added, it would only be as a "suggested" template.

I know I buy a lot of stuff here, but I can't possibly be the only one who has been getting books missing pages, with brittle pages, books that look like pancakes and I don't mean nicely pressed, I mean pancaked...water damage, that's another one.

I used to have a list of questions that an eBay friend gave me, but it always seems kind of onerous as a buyer to send them to each seller. I Do ask questions (as many of you know) but I find it awkward. For ME as a buyer, I'd love the information.

It's just a personal preference.

In any case, I'm going out, but I hope that the discourse on this, in what ever direction remains polite.

I hear ya Roy. I'm willing to give it a try and see whether or not more people are more confident because there's more information. That's why I'm willing to try it. I certainly want it to be a "rule" that requires sellers to do this, but I look at it as a marketing technique. We'll see. I certainly don't feel I "need" to do this but I think it could be helpful for the buyers.

I think any template should be voluntary. I am willing to use because it's my decision to use it. Any talk of making it mandatory is where I start to balk.

I think it's a terrific idea in theory. TERRIFIC! More info leads to more streamlined decision making and more satisfied buyers. I love streamlined info because personally, my mind works that way.

The problem I have with the template idea is a psychological one. Once templates start appearing, as Dan said, stigmas are formed and books that people once enjoyed are scrutinized to the nth degree.

This happened to me after joining this forum. There are now certain defects that I did not even consider at one time that I now avoid. It took some of the enjoyment out of it.

I know it's a small distinction in theory but I do believe it's a larger one in practice.

Edit: and I do and will continue to list whatever defects I feel will be important to a buyer's purchasing decisions, just not sure a template is the way to go. For those that feel it is, more power to you!

:foryou:

I agree that the simpler the better.How about:

Price:

Grade:

Page Quality:

Pressed:

Restored:

Complete:

Notes:

I think Angelo suggest the "notes" category that could be where any significant flaws or defects can be listed as appropriate. Call it whatever you want, but I think it's a good idea to have a category like this. Trying to put make a yes/no list for every potential flaw is just unwieldy, imo.