• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post those low grade books with great eye appeal!

55 posts in this topic

I don't think either of my GA acquitions from Megacon would net better than 4.0's, but the covers are in great shape with almost no creasing so I'll include them here!!! thumbsup2.gif

Excitingcomics.jpg

allamerican2.jpg

I think they are solid examples and I will take good care of them for a long time cloud9.gif

The book has a bit of a spine roll. I bought the book already slabbed, so it's hard to tell how bad the spine roll is, as the slab may be holding the spine down. Otherwise, it just has general edge wear. No major defects at all.

I'm always looking for upgrades for my Actions, but even the 6.0s and 7.0s I've seen haven't had the eye appeal of this one, so I'm happy to hang onto it.

It was surprising to me how long it took to put together my Action 52-63 set, unrestored and graded. These books just don't seem to be offered very often.

This came backa 4.5, so I freed it, and returned it to my SS run. 418224-Image002%20%286%29.jpg

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

you just can't resist showing that super high contrast picture, can you? gotta admit that in that context, this looks like a beautiful book. but we've all seen what the defects are due to valiant turning that contrast way down.

still, i wouldn't kick it outta my collection devil.gif

I don't know if I would define 4.5 as low grade... shocked.gifwink.gif ...but here's my contribution. Really nice edges, color, gloss and corners for the grade. Light reading crease and top overhang knocks it down.

laugh.gif

JIM83-front.jpg

I agree.

GOOD and lower = low grade

VG to F = mid grade

VF and higher = high grade

What about books between GOOD and VG? Or books between F and VF?

In my mind it goes like this:

low grade...4.5 and lower

mid grade...5.0 to 7.5

high grade...8.0 and higher

4.5 is certainly on the cusp between low grade and mid grade, just as 7.5 is on the cusp between mid and high grade.

The colors are so rich on this cover, you gain weight just looking at it. I had it graded and it came back a 5.5. It's the only GA WW I didn't sell, because I just couldn't part with it for the kind of money a 5.5 brings. I never disagreed with any CGC grade, except for this book. In person, the thing sings.

418721-WW26s.jpg

418721-WW26s.jpg.fa16038cdedbf68ce4f3888a006391a9.jpg

The colors are so rich on this cover, you gain weight just looking at it. I had it graded and it came back a 5.5. It's the only GA WW I didn't sell, because I just couldn't part with it for the kind of money a 5.5 brings. I never disagreed with any CGC grade, except for this book. In person, the thing sings.

418721-WW26s.jpg

etta candy cloud9.gif27_laughing.gif

That is NICE!!!! I like the deep blue cover & colors ,in person like you said,I bet a Killer copy!! 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

It really is. Just drips ink. I had another GA WW that was around the same, colorwise. I didn't have it graded; sold it raw. It had a replaced staple, so I was worried about what it would get on ebay. But it was so stunning, it went for way over guide. The guy who bought it was absolutely thrilled when he got it. In a case like this, the CGC grade is a detriment. There are collectors (I was one of them) who will forgive a lot of things, if the colors are rich enough. It's what "eye appeal" is all about to some people. I considered cracking the slab on the 26 and just selling it raw (I probably would've gotten significantly more than the graded version) but I was unclear about the ethics. I didn't want to represent it as more than a 5.5, despite my believing it was, since I'd had it graded. In the end, it was easier just to keep it.

I agree.

GOOD and lower = low grade

VG to F = mid grade

VF and higher = high grade

What about books between GOOD and VG? Or books between F and VF?

In my mind it goes like this:

low grade...4.5 and lower

mid grade...5.0 to 7.5

high grade...8.0 and higher

4.5 is certainly on the cusp between low grade and mid grade, just as 7.5 is on the cusp between mid and high grade.

If I said I think mid-grade is VG to F, then that would be 4.0 to 6.0. I would probably start the low-grade at 3.5. Mid-grade 4.0-7.0. High grade 7.5 and higher.