• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hand Held Devices viewing online websites

35 posts in this topic

Thinking about getting an iPhone. For those that have one, how do the boards look on it?

I have the Motorola Droid, it works VERY well for the boards...the separate keyboard is useful as well.

It is without a doubt, my very best favorite toy ever

I need a big screen :grin:

Same here. That's why I will probably never use a cell phone for such purposes.

Yup. I've spent the last 25 years pursuing bigger and better screens. I'm not about to start web surfing or watching movies on a 4 inch screen. ;)

I go to the Verizon store and ask for a new phone that I can make phone calls with and nothing else. They look at you like you're crazy. (shrug)

I go to the Verizon store and ask for a new phone that I can make phone calls with and nothing else. They look at you like you're crazy. (shrug)

lol I know, revolutionary notion right? lol A cell phone for, you know, making calls?? :screwy:

Thinking about getting an iPhone. For those that have one, how do the boards look on it?

The iPhone 4 is a great 3G device on a lousy network.

All of the major carriers will have 4G service and devices within the next 6 months. Wait for it. You won't regret it. Speeds are up to 10X faster than 3G and the phones will have more powerful processors and more RAM.

The iPhone 4 is a great 3G device on a lousy network.

All of the major carriers will have 4G service and devices within the next 6 months. Wait for it. You won't regret it. Speeds are up to 10X faster than 3G and the phones will have more powerful processors and more RAM.

Good advice. But now what the heck do I get my wife for our anniversary? hm

I wouldn't buy anything using a hand-held device, and that is coming from someone with a background in computing.

The only RARE exception would be if it was someone I have bought from/sold to in the past, and/or at a convention, where I would be able to review the book in-person and used PayPal to send payment.

I recently became active on eBay, buying-up a bunch of stuff. I found myself in a situation where I wanted to watch an eBay auction and was away from the computer.

eBay's mobile platform is designed to function on hand held devices. It works well enough to show you the listing title, a tiny picture (the kind of tiny photos we laugh about, that looks like the seller was using binoculars when they uploaded it) and the time/duration before the auction ends.

As well as eBay mobile works, it disclaims very clearly that if you want to view more information about the auction (i.e. larger view scan/photo, description, shipping info) to visit the site on a computer.

Should tell you something when the worlds largest marketplace makes the decision to jump aboard the mobile train, but tosses a drone on the train, and keeps its business practices firmly on foot, where its most comfortable and familiar.

The PayPal factor is exciting, but I still like to do all my checks on a computer. I have a 5-step process (lets call it due diligence) I use before buying/selling with anyone new. I couldn't do all these things on a mobile phone.

I'm tempted to buy an iPhone 3 for $99, just to carry me over the 6 months until the new 4G devices come out. The downside to that idea is that it locks me into AT&T for 2 years. Is there a general consensus as to who the best carrier is? Verizon?

I wouldn't buy anything using a hand-held device, and that is coming from someone with a background in computing.

The only RARE exception would be if it was someone I have bought from/sold to in the past, and/or at a convention, where I would be able to review the book in-person and used PayPal to send payment.

I recently became active on eBay, buying-up a bunch of stuff. I found myself in a situation where I wanted to watch an eBay auction and was away from the computer.

eBay's mobile platform is designed to function on hand held devices. It works well enough to show you the listing title, a tiny picture (the kind of tiny photos we laugh about, that looks like the seller was using binoculars when they uploaded it) and the time/duration before the auction ends.

As well as eBay mobile works, it disclaims very clearly that if you want to view more information about the auction (i.e. larger view scan/photo, description, shipping info) to visit the site on a computer.

Should tell you something when the worlds largest marketplace makes the decision to jump aboard the mobile train, but tosses a drone on the train, and keeps its business practices firmly on foot, where its most comfortable and familiar.

The PayPal factor is exciting, but I still like to do all my checks on a computer. I have a 5-step process (lets call it due diligence) I use before buying/selling with anyone new. I couldn't do all these things on a mobile phone.

E-Bays mobile site is only meant to be used for dumbphones with web surfing capability, its not meant to be used on smartphones. On Android, and iOS, the E-Bay APP is the way to go (I use Pocket Auctions E-Bay on Android, a few more features than the official app)

E-Bay likes you to use the full site from a computer so you can go crazy on the "1-click bid" button :)