• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top selling indies of the Copper Age

87 posts in this topic

valiants aren't copper and i don't care what anyone says! they help define modern and i don't care when the first one came out. ditto early issues of spawn. modern has to begin at the latest with mcfarlane's spiderman 1 in mid-1990 (I don't have a problem calling his ASM stuff copper though) although maybe there's something a little before then that would even be better, my timeline for that period is a little off as I wasn't collecting or reading comics then (needed beer money for college). spiderman 1 really helped define the modern era, at least from a collectors perspective, though also from a "dawn of the talent having control"...(though byrne had some of that previously)

i need to dig up a price guide from 1993 and see what they say. were they still definiting modern as 1978 or 1980 to the present back then?

wouldn't have been that amazing.

dark horse presents, as an example, would have been much stronger.

I thought about that, but then remembers folks did purchase quite a few issues, but at that time in the Copper Age it wasn't considered that key (other than the Concrete appearances).

But at one point, I had all of the early issues as DHP contained fantastic multiple stories with different content than what you were seeing from the big two (or many other independents).

Great title, I agree. I started out buying the concrete issues and went back and got the rest just like you did :) I thought we were just talking about sales though? I guess I'm a little confused.

I think it depends on where in the CA you are. In 1981 my guess is that some of the Archies were on par with some of the DCs (and maybe marvels on the brink of cancellation). Archie also had a gadjillion titles. Move along through the 80's and I'd think Archie is losing sales yearly.

Duck Tales, Little Mermaid...definitely big sellers when they came out.

Dunno if you can call it an "indie" or think of it as a comic (though it is just as much as Epic or any other magazine listed in OPG), but Heavy Metal, certainly in the early 80's, sold a lot.

I think it depends on where in the CA you are. In 1981 my guess is that some of the Archies were on par with some of the DCs (and maybe marvels on the brink of cancellation). Archie also had a gadjillion titles. Move along through the 80's and I'd think Archie is losing sales yearly.

Duck Tales, Little Mermaid...definitely big sellers when they came out.

Dunno if you can call it an "indie" or think of it as a comic (though it is just as much as Epic or any other magazine listed in OPG), but Heavy Metal, certainly in the early 80's, sold a lot.

OH! How I wish Overstreet provided a listing for Heavy Metal. Or anyone else, for that matter...