• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top selling indies of the Copper Age

87 posts in this topic

This is an easy question.

1. TMNT #1

2. Albedo #2

3. Bone #1

It seems like he's asking about top-selling titles, though - not the most valuable single issues from the copper age :shrug:

Good point. Ok. Let's start over.

Top selling indie titles? hm

If you are talking about as a series, I'd have to go with:

- TMNT

- Bone

- Miracleman

- Mixed on the Valiant title I would insert here; at least the early issues during the later part of the Copper period have decent demand (Harbinger 1-7; Solar 1-10; X-O 1-4).

What years were the Copper Age?

:baiting:

I thought of that, and backed off on mentioning one or two titles.

But if we are talking about all of 1992, then Spawn would have to fit in there somewhere as collectors were buying up everything they could get their hands on with the first nine issues. Now - not so much.

Spawn 8 - Alan Moore story.

Spawn 9 - Neil Gaiman, and 1st appearance of Angela.

:cloud9:

Wow, I may be way off, but I was guessing that long running titles would have the most likelihood of being top Copper Sellers. I would have gone with Grimjack, Cerebus, Jon Sable and TMNT.

+1

I'd never consider Spawn or Bone copper age titles, and whilst Miracleman sold decently, it didn't have anywhere near the sales figures of TMNT.

Wow, I may be way off, but I was guessing that long running titles would have the most likelihood of being top Copper Sellers. I would have gone with Grimjack, Cerebus, Jon Sable and TMNT.

+1

I'd never consider Spawn or Bone copper age titles, and whilst Miracleman sold decently, it didn't have anywhere near the sales figures of TMNT.

It'll be the nice when the OP comes back and clarifies this question.

Can anyone tell me the top selling two or three non-Marvel or Dc titles of the Copper Age?

Does he mean then or now? That's what will make the difference.

Turtles is the clear indy champ of the Copper Age, when reprints are factored.

Issue #4 had a reported print run of 60,000 copies, a staggering figure for the time period.

If you include Valiant, pre-Unity numbers hover between 40-90,000 copies.

Other than that, you'd have to look at Dark Horse in 1990, with AVP #1, ordered to the tune of 750,000 or so copies, a record at the time for "indys" (not counting Dell, Gold Key, EC, etc.)

Other than that, Cerebus was certainly a sales champ throughout the 80's, reaching a peak circulation of over 30,000 copies at the time.