• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WOW!!! What Will This Go For????

21 posts in this topic

With the juice $20,000 becomes $23,000 = ~4X guide.

Is that about right for Golden-Age? It was just a guess.

It all depends if 2 or 3 want it real bad. devil.gif

If I were paying 20K, I'd rather have a single cover 9.6 . Why pay a premium for a 9.6 and not be able to see past the lesser 9.0 cover in the slab? I'm not saying rip off the outer cover, but I think I'd do something else with my 20K.

Not to mention that the first cover is a pretty sorry 9.0, as Darth pointed out. This is a great example of the "GA forgiveness factor" at work... if that were ASM # 64, it would have gotten a 7.0, tops.

Good point.

If I were paying 20K, I'd rather have a single cover 9.6 . Why pay a premium for a 9.6 and not be able to see past the lesser 9.0 cover in the slab? I'm not saying rip off the outer cover, but I think I'd do something else with my 20K.

Not to mention that the first cover is a pretty sorry 9.0, as Darth pointed out. This is a great example of the "GA forgiveness factor" at work... if that were ASM # 64, it would have gotten a 7.0, tops.

Are you saying that most GA graded books are overgraded?? confused.gif

Hey Darth, isn't there a lot of assumption going into the interior cover grade ?

I have never owned one, but how intensely can you view the inside cover without damaging the outside one? 9.6 ???893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I wouldn't say assumption - IMO, it depends on how "loose" the top cover is bound to the book. If there is even a little space you can view the entire inner cover without pulling the outer cover back to a "point of no return"...

as for it being a 9.6, I've never held a 9.6 golden Age book so I wouldn't really know or have a true reference point? But I have some low grade water damaged variants with less "dirt" than what is going on the back of the outer cover tongue.gif

Hi everyone...

I rarely post here - but I observe often. I had to get in on this conversation though.

I own 50 or so CGC-graded comics myself. With that said, I am utterly baffled as to that assigned grade. Seriously. I'm not trying to be a smart*ss or something, but what am I missing? I see many spine-flaws for starters, along with various other imperfections. Looks like it should be a 9.0, at best.

Is it called, "slipping a $1000 into the front cover"? Do comics of that age get graded on an adjusted scale?

Hi everyone...

I rarely post here - but I observe often. I had to get in on this conversation though.

I own 50 or so CGC-graded comics myself. With that said, I am utterly baffled as to that assigned grade. Seriously. I'm not trying to be a smart*ss or something, but what am I missing? I see many spine-flaws for starters, along with various other imperfections. Looks like it should be a 9.0, at best.

Is it called, "slipping a $1000 into the front cover"? Do comics of that age get graded on an adjusted scale?

Double cover books are assigned the highest grade of the 2 covers. The outer cover was given a 9.0, the inner one a 9.6. Therefore, the book is graded 9.6.

Hi everyone...

Double cover books are assigned the highest grade of the 2 covers. The outer cover was given a 9.0, the inner one a 9.6. Therefore, the book is graded 9.6.

Oh wow! I had no idea. What a strange thing. Thanks for the heads-up.