• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stunned to see PGX and not CGC in the Nov. Smart Money Magazine

21 posts in this topic

Yea, I was reading through the latest (Nov.) Smart Money and came across an article on how good an investment pop culture item are. They wrote about all kinds of stuff, but there was a good size section on comic books with pictures even. I was very surprised to see this picture at the top of the third page !! :o

SmartMoneypg3.jpg

SmartMoneycloseup.jpg

SmartMoneycover.jpg

Wow...

All i know is that i've had 3 or 4 PGX 8.0's come back CGC 9.4's... sure would like to know where that Showcase 22 is....

Restored probably. Or a Batman #450 on the inside.

Smart spending and PGX in the same piece? Somebody obviously didn't do their homework.

I was thinking the same thing Boozad. PGX is sometimes known as "that other slabbing company" whereas CGC is top dog.

funny thing is, the article gives CGC as an example of a grading company. Looks like an photo editorial flub...

I bet they get letters/emails from a hundred comic geeks and run a correction next issue, lol

I saw that too. They used CGC as the basis for a paragraph and an explanation about grading. Maybe they were trying to be fair and balanced?

PGX is still around? I thought they went under with the "issues" they had. Why the heck didn't they change their name and reopen as another grading service??!?

It looks like their turnaround is a lot faster and their prices are less. I'm wondering: If a fee is based on FMV for higher priced books does that make the party stating FMV as a fee base an appraiser? In PA if you even say "I think it's worth" you've violated state law. You must be a licensed appraiser to make any comments, judgments or opinions on the value of an item. I know someone who got into a lot of problems by just saying the wrong word followed by a price.

PGX is still around? I thought they went under with the "issues" they had. Why the heck didn't they change their name and reopen as another grading service??!?

It looks like their turnaround is a lot faster and their prices are less. I'm wondering: If a fee is based on FMV for higher priced books does that make the party stating FMV as a fee base an appraiser? In PA if you even say "I think it's worth" you've violated state law. You must be a licensed appraiser to make any comments, judgments or opinions on the value of an item. I know someone who got into a lot of problems by just saying the wrong word followed by a price.

Interesting in that Smart Money which is owned by the Wall Street Journal has a much larger circulation then any monthly comic, so people reading this article will be exposed to CGC and PGX for the first time. PGX will stay in people`s minds more visually as most people don`t read into the full article where CGC is mentioned. Someone may want to send a email to the editor of Smart Money to explain the differences between PGX and CGC. 2c

Someone may want to send a email to the editor of Smart Money to explain the differences between PGX and CGC. 2c

I suggest Mark Zaid. He runs in Wall Street Journal circles :baiting:

Someone may want to send a email to the editor of Smart Money to explain the differences between PGX and CGC. 2c

:) Glad your back, I have been seeing lots of good prices of Plastic man and Quality stuff on Ebay recently .

:) Glad your back, I have been seeing lots of good prices of Plastic man and Quality stuff on Ebay recently .

Thanks Mac. I'm feeling refreshed. And heck yea theres all kinds of great stuff on ebay lately !!

I'm wondering: If a fee is based on FMV for higher priced books does that make the party stating FMV as a fee base an appraiser? In PA if you even say "I think it's worth" you've violated state law. You must be a licensed appraiser to make any comments, judgments or opinions on the value of an item. I know someone who got into a lot of problems by just saying the wrong word followed by a price.

Interesting. I sold a piece of original artwork (one out of two pieces available) to a museum earlier this year. They are legally designated as a non-profit agency, which apparently precludes them from haggling, due to the potential for liability. When discussing price, they could not make me an offer or even discuss a range of prices.

You know.....in a way, this just shows how far out and below mainstream sub-culture comic collecting really is. The big time money guys don't even know who the players are in this biz... 2c

I'm wondering: If a fee is based on FMV for higher priced books does that make the party stating FMV as a fee base an appraiser? In PA if you even say "I think it's worth" you've violated state law. You must be a licensed appraiser to make any comments, judgments or opinions on the value of an item. I know someone who got into a lot of problems by just saying the wrong word followed by a price.

Interesting. I sold a piece of original artwork (one out of two pieces available) to a museum earlier this year. They are legally designated as a non-profit agency, which apparently precludes them from haggling, due to the potential for liability. When discussing price, they could not make me an offer or even discuss a range of prices.

Possibly because of the IRS. If you donated it and they agreed to a price then you could write that amount off on your taxes. If they say nothing about price then it's all on you. You can write off a million dollars or one dollar. If the IRS questions it they are out of the loop.

You know.....in a way, this just shows how far out and below mainstream sub-culture comic collecting really is. The big time money guys don't even know who the players are in this biz... 2c

There is a reason why PGX was featured. Some may figure it out, but I'm not going to say how because it would click in CGC's head and since I'm not paid by them they can figure it out on their own.

Yep... and in the course of researching the article, it probably never occured to the writer that one company is legit, and one is a fly-by-night operation.

Yep... and in the course of researching the article, it probably never occured to the writer that one company is legit, and one is a fly-by-night operation.

Not to mention that the author says comics that appreciate the most are first appearance super heroe books (and proceeds to apolgize to Archie and Jughead fans). doh!