• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Nam
1 1

66 posts in this topic

On 11/2/2022 at 10:17 AM, MAR1979 said:
On 11/2/2022 at 9:15 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Wondered what? The corner boxes changed a few times around this time. They used the M for the price block on their Direct editions through the end of their 25th anniversary, then changed it along with the Marvel logo when that was over.

Yep!

Then then the newsstand and direct sale blocks matched.

An apropos example for this thread:

NAM9.thumb.jpg.9a4c90b01735f375830ea791bacb8a04.jpg

And all before August 1987 btw, :whistle:

On 11/2/2022 at 4:48 PM, divad said:

Yes, but I have issues of the same comic, the same date, and in both newsstand and direct editions with the different price blocks  . . . 'Splain that Luthee!

Sometimes you need to just dig a little deeper for the answer. :peace:

Yes, the Direct and Newsstand blocks were different. Not sure what it is that you're questioning.

Edited by GeeksAreMyPeeps

I put the whole run together a while back and had read some issues of it when I was younger.  I sat down last month and started the grind of reading the series.  I've made it through the first 61 issues.  Thus far, I love this series, especially the first 40ish issues.  As a vet who has had to spend time in some less than desirable locations, there is definitely some relatability.  This could be part of why I am into this series.  Incompetence (and sometimes good decisions) from the top to the bottom, taking care of people even if you don't like them, dealing with certain sections of civilians, the camaraderie (even with the guys you don't like but go to bat for) and all that other stuff speak to me.  The initial format runs in real time, so one issue equals one month.  I think this changes somewhere around issue 50 and having more multi-issue stories.  The style change coincides where I feel the shark-jump may come in.  I like the Punisher and #52-53 aren't probably necessary.  That stuff could have been thrown in Marvel Comics Presents.  However, it took me quite a while that Ice (one of the main characters for several issues) makes appearances in some of the Punisher titles of the time.  It could be an out of continuity thing since Nam takes place in the "real world".  Chuck Dixon took over the writing duties with #54 and it feels like a comic book set in Vietnam (which it is) but it's the use of more multi-issue storylines but I liked his Death of Joe Hallen storyline and the three-issue arc concerning the USAF pilot in a prison camp.  Wayne Vanzant sometimes pencils some inconsistent issues but for the most part, the writing, art, editing, etc are top notch. I'll probably revisit this topic as I continue through the series.