• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman # 14 Cover Art

37 posts in this topic

There was a good discussion about it a while back in the Golden Age comics section.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4315369#Post4315369

And also here in the Original art section.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4315887#Post4315887

Take your pick.

why would the condition bother you?

it isn't like you can find another you know.

a comic book.. yeah..

artwork?? it is what it is and all kidding aside, it's a great piece by a top artist for a top title from a prime period. does it get any better??

golden age art isn't like silver or exp bronze & newer where most everything exists after a certain date. This is a 1941 item of which there are preciously few.

It would bother me. one of a kind or no. This isn't a little white out or something... this looks to be brittle paper. Well I guess the way I would put it is that if its brittle, that would bother me enormously and I wouldn't exactly want my (half mil?) investment crumbling into dust. Sure its one of a kind soon but what if it becomes none-of-a-kind.

If the board/paper is structurally sound that's different - the other problems like the tear etc. wouldn't bother me but if I were the buyer I'd very much want to know more about the board as it looks as though the lower corners have already crumbled away.

I think you are right about wanting to know the condition of the board in terms of suppleness/brittleness. I recall many of Jerry's comic books recently coming to market and the condition of many of the pages were brittle. In terms of just the over all eye appeal I have seen many bronze age covers that have more white out and stains.

I think you are right about wanting to know the condition of the board in terms of suppleness/brittleness. I recall many of Jerry's comic books recently coming to market and the condition of many of the pages were brittle.

Exactly. If the art was treated in the same manner as the books (and why would one think anything else) then the paper will be in rough shape

I think you are right about wanting to know the condition of the board in terms of suppleness/brittleness. I recall many of Jerry's comic books recently coming to market and the condition of many of the pages were brittle. In terms of just the over all eye appeal I have seen many bronze age covers that have more white out and stains.

I would hope that once the auction goes live or perhaps beforehand there would be a detailed description of the piece and it's condition. There look to be many rips and tears on the piece. Given the discoloration, as a bidder, I would want to have a full disclosure of the staining and any other defect present. Being that we are talking about a paper product with a likely mid to high 6 figure reserve I would think that type of information would be a necessity.

Anyone willing to sink that much money into a single piece of art will probably want to be assured it won't disintegrate in their hands or that there isn't a mold issue (which I have faced on several SA pieces and walked away from them).

Most new owners would seek some type of conservation of the paper on this cover. De-acidification, cleaning, and pressing to preserve, and protect the piece for the future without materially changing the artwork itself. That type of work is not cheap. That's where a nice, detailed, itemized disclosure of the condition of the piece would help. It's possible to get an estimate of the cost of conservation services before bidding if such a disclosure is made.

I hope there is. I bet it helps the potential bidders to feel more comfortable with the artwork and open their wallets a little wider.

I don't know some of you guys take that attitude. (shrug)

Not liking the condition doesn't mean "waiting for the next one" it can just as easily mean lowering your bid or (gasp) not bidding at all and buying something else or even (double gasp) keeping the money.

I mean if your favorite cover in the world turns out to be 50% stat, or have a quarter size hole missing in the board right in the focal point of the image, are you really going to pay as much for it as if it were pristine and/or fully original? Someone's got some ASM 6 pages to sell you guys then :baiting:

If this piece were pristine how could you NOT pay more for it than if it were brittle and crumbling? I understand that its not the same as with comics, I am MUCH more forgiving in my art purchases re condition, but its not like its a total non-consideration!

Is anyone else bothered by it's condition?

Yes, I'm going to wait for the 9.4 copy to surface.

:roflmao:

Respectfully Rich that's all very funny and I get you guys' side of it. But I bet you wouldn't be willing to take art you're trying to sell (like, say those infantino pages you were trying to sell) and spill a glass of water on them. Hey condition doesn't matter so a little runny ink and water warping shouldn't hurt the saleability, right? :preach: What about a few six inch tears for shhitts and giggles? Hey I gotta change the oil in my car but don't want to get the garage floor dirty... where'd I put that darn prince valiant? ???

And the best part is I won't be affecting the value ONE BIT. :gossip:(shrug) (boy these ribs are saucy and I can't find a plate.... kirby FF cover to the rescue! :) )

I don't know some of you guys take that attitude. (shrug)

Not liking the condition doesn't mean "waiting for the next one" it can just as easily mean lowering your bid or (gasp) not bidding at all and buying something else or even (double gasp) keeping the money.

I mean if your favorite cover in the world turns out to be 50% stat, or have a quarter size hole missing in the board right in the focal point of the image, are you really going to pay as much for it as if it were pristine and/or fully original? Someone's got some ASM 6 pages to sell you guys then :baiting:

If this piece were pristine how could you NOT pay more for it than if it were brittle and crumbling? I understand that its not the same as with comics, I am MUCH more forgiving in my art purchases re condition, but its not like its a total non-consideration!

I hear what your saying, the page 1 splash to FF 5 has the top 3rd missing, pretty much most of Dooms head. It has been recreated by Jack, but that would put me off. Regarding the Supes 14 cover, its all there as it was in 1941. I think some kind of conservation report would help sell this for more money for sure.

Clem

Bronty

I don't think I addressed what I would pay for the item in better or worse condition, and it wasn't questioned as such. Yes it should sell for less.. well.. maybe

I don't doubt any serious buyer will take into account the condition and the expectation that it will need to be conserved. However, when you're talking about such an item, if you're truly interested, the amount you might decrease your bid is a very tiny % of the total price because conservation of the item will only represent a small amount of money. It wouldn't be the same situation for a Jim Aparo cover where the conservation cost would be a significant % of value and therefore condition might be more of a consideration

the Spider-Man 6 pages are a good example for that too. While 15-18 pages were destroyed (I haven't spoken to Fred [the buyer with the dogs] in a few years, so I can't ask) some pages were only slightly damaged, like a corner chewed off - but going into the art. I doubt anyone takes that into consideration when buying as they're happy to get anything from the book, chewed or not.