• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Here's a new Media Mail twist

53 posts in this topic

If you use the boxes for what they are supposed to be used for they are still free though, right? They're included with the service.

Does Fed Ex drop off supplies?

Don't be a stupid cheap and ship comics Media Mail. Pay the extra - what is it, a DOLLAR?!? :mad: - for Priority Mail. Quit your whining about it. Jesus, this is a complete waste of everybody's time.

You must use flat rate envelopes...it's about $9.55 for me to mail anything between 1 and 2 lbs to CA... anything over 1lb gets bumped to 2... and if you pack in a box, anything over 2 comics is more than 1lb.

Use flat rate envelopes. Sandwich the book between two sheets of 200# corrugated cardboard (which you can buy for 50 cents per sheet shipped from Paper Mart) Always ship this way, it saves you significant time and money.

For Media or first class, I use boxes from U-line, buy my own packing materials and I have no problems. I think the problem is when people cut up the free priority boxes and ship that way.

I usually give people a choice. Many people prefer boxes instead of flat rate envelopes. Doesn't save me anything, I always charge cost or less. I ship media to help the buyer, I don't make a profit, so why not do what the buyer wants? :shrug:

Don't be a stupid cheap and ship comics Media Mail. Pay the extra - what is it, a DOLLAR?!? :mad: - for Priority Mail. Quit your whining about it. Jesus, this is a complete waste of everybody's time.

You must use flat rate envelopes...it's about $9.55 for me to mail anything between 1 and 2 lbs to CA... anything over 1lb gets bumped to 2... and if you pack in a box, anything over 2 comics is more than 1lb.

Use flat rate envelopes. Sandwich the book between two sheets of 200# corrugated cardboard (which you can buy for 50 cents per sheet shipped from Paper Mart) Always ship this way, it saves you significant time and money.

For Media or first class, I use boxes from U-line, buy my own packing materials and I have no problems. I think the problem is when people cut up the free priority boxes and ship that way.

I usually give people a choice. Many people prefer boxes instead of flat rate envelopes. Doesn't save me anything, I always charge cost or less. I ship media to help the buyer, I don't make a profit, so why not do what the buyer wants? :shrug:

I'm losing money on shipping, but I'm saving in time. I charge $5 to ship, and I'm spending (roughly) $6 to ship it, but I don't have to do anything.

:applause:

Flat rate envelopes don't offer enough protection IMHO even with thick cardboard. Boxes for me please (thumbs u

I'm losing money on shipping, but I'm saving in time. I charge $5 to ship, and I'm spending (roughly) $6 to ship it, but I don't have to do anything.

It's just a hobby for me, I don't mind the time...I never do volume sales.

If you use the boxes for what they are supposed to be used for they are still free though, right? They're included with the service.

Does Fed Ex drop off supplies?

They probably do, but they also have these drop off metal stands and there are supplies inside you can take. One reason you get a lot of books packed in the Fed-Ex plastic bags.

Flat rate envelopes don't offer enough protection IMHO even with thick cardboard. Boxes for me please (thumbs u

The cardboard I ship with is thicker - significantly thicker - than the box.

I actually always thought it was pretty generous for the USPS to offer free stuff like boxes and couldn't believe it when I first heard of it.

Not just free boxes, but they will ship them to your house if you setup a free USPS account. I ordered 50 Priority 1095 boxes, and they mailed them directly to my home at no charge to me at all.

I count on this going away due to all the cost cutting that is taking place.

OMG, that's just insane.

:tonofbricks:

Now you see why they bring down the pain when you misuse those boxes. The USPS makes it super-easy for folks to get these supplies.

Makes perfect sense. The PO gives you free boxes to send priority mail. The boxes must cost the PO serious $$ to create and distribute and using them to ship media mail or to build a castle is abusing the system.

Can't you guys find other sources of cardboard?

The cardboard I ship with is thicker - significantly thicker - than the box.

I've had books shipped between thick foam core that were nearly folded over. Boxes aren't foolproof, but they significantly increase the chances of getting a book there in one piece.