• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Here's a new Media Mail twist

53 posts in this topic

So I ordered a few raw comics... they were shipped in a plain envelope marked media mail. So the seller broke the rules, understood, and I have the option of refusing and sending back or paying the extra postage... now here's the twist.

The seller protected the raw comics by wrapping them in an old Priority box that had been cut up. So now, according the post office I HAVE to pay the extra shipping charge as Priority Mail since a Priority box was used during shipping... crazy huh?!?

It's been that way always - you are not allowed to use the free priority mail packaging materials without sending the item priority; if you do (and they catch you), they'll upgrade the postage to the priority cost & charge you the difference.

It's got nothing to do with media mail - if he'd sent it first class, it would have been the same thing (if, again, it had been discovered).

I don't think there's a way to prove that. You could always write on a new Priority box if that were the case.

So if you use a Priority Box as packaging material, then you need to pay Priority Rates if they open it and discover that.

So I ordered a few raw comics... they were shipped in a plain envelope marked media mail. So the seller broke the rules, understood, and I have the option of refusing and sending back or paying the extra postage... now here's the twist.

The seller protected the raw comics by wrapping them in an old Priority box that had been cut up. So now, according the post office I HAVE to pay the extra shipping charge as Priority Mail since a Priority box was used during shipping... crazy huh?!?

I the buyer would pay the difference and send a note to the seller to reimburse me the difference. if the seller was customer-based seller, he should pay the difference

I got caught in the same situation before

I don't disagree, but he didn't receive priority service.
doc, believe it or not, that is not relevant...if you use the boxes or Priority mail shipping materials for any shipment, you are liable for priority rates...that is the postal policy ...it is even printed right on the supplies

doc, believe it or not, that is not relevant...if you use the boxes or Priority mail shipping materials for any shipment, you are liable for priority rates...that is the postal policy ...it is even printed right on the supplies

Oh, I believe it. It's the government after all.

Oh, I believe it. It's the government after all.

:insane:

Very interesting - So much for the government supporting recycling! lol

The seller chose to send Media Mail (and how he packed it too). My Post Office open and inspects all Media Mail, I get hit about 3 or 4 times a month with added charges to get my mail.

And I always tell everyone I buy from NOT to send anything to me Media Mail but it doesn't seem to help much... I just chalk it up to what I have to endure in order to be in the hobby.

I don't know, my PO accepts comics as media mail...and even if you disagree with them, there are things you can add that makes it no contest, such as pamphlets ....comics printed by the Government, Classics, paperback books...thank goodness, I've never had a problem.

It just seems wasteful to me, to cut up a new priority box to use it as packing...and 90 % of the time, the material I get was not recycled, it was new. The only time I ever have used one, is when I get it already cut up, and I recycle it again. I will have to remember after this, to only use those in priority boxes.

I don't think there's a way to prove that. You could always write on a new Priority box if that were the case.

So if you use a Priority Box as packaging material, then you need to pay Priority Rates if they open it and discover that.

Whenever I reuse a priority box I just wrap it in brown paper, but underneath is the entire box still intact just the way it arrived at my door. If it's stamped then I don't see why I can't use it however I see fit rather than throw it away (shrug)

hm gee I wonder if the Post Office is due postage when Heritage ships comics in Priority Mail boxes inside FEDEX boxes?

I was trying to remember who did that, lol ! Good one! :applause:

Pretty consistently. It always kinda bothered me, considering the fees they tack on, they can't buy their own boxes?

I re-use Priority Mail boxes. I take a used one and stuff it into a new (slightly larger) one as protection.

Whenever I reuse a priority box I just wrap it in brown paper, but underneath is the entire box still intact just the way it arrived at my door. If it's stamped then I don't see why I can't use it however I see fit rather than throw it away (shrug)

That will not work. I did it a few times last year, and all it takes is one time for a postal worker to conduct his authorized Media Mail inspection.

hm gee I wonder if the Post Office is due postage when Heritage ships comics in Priority Mail boxes inside FEDEX boxes?

I was trying to remember who did that, lol ! Good one! :applause:

Pretty consistently. It always kinda bothered me, considering the fees they tack on, they can't buy their own boxes?

I re-use Priority Mail boxes. I take a used one and stuff it into a new (slightly larger) one as protection.

Perhaps the USPS should quit having boxes printed and shipped to anyone who wants them for free. Might save them a little money.

I do this too, but most often I am shipping it via Priority Mail anyway.

I had a package arrive with admonishments stamped all over it because the seller shipped a slabbed book via media mail.

I told the seller but never heard back from them whether they were charged for any postage due.