• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CaptainTripps?????????

47 posts in this topic

And he has the FF 1 in 9.6, which in my opinion (I swear I'm not trying to hijack this thread) is the top Marvel key, so the best of the best.

Consider it hijacked. I strongly disagree, no doubt the top key is AF #15. sumo.gif

And he has the FF 1 in 9.6, which in my opinion (I swear I'm not trying to hijack this thread) is the top Marvel key, so the best of the best.

Consider it hijacked. I strongly disagree, no doubt the top key is AF #15. sumo.gif

not...going...to...respond...Has...been...argued...ad nauseum...in...too...many...other...threads...!

TTH2,

Thanks for the kudos. BTW, Brulato has a simply unbelievable collection, but he doesn't go as high on most titles and isn't a completist like my obsessive self.

Some of his runs are mind-blowing (He has every ASM 1-125 in 9.6 or better except 4, which hasn't slabbed above 9.4). He has almost every key in 9.6 or better and also incredible runs (mostly 9.6 & better) of TTA 35 up, TOS 39 (9.6) up, FF 1 up, Strange Tales 101 (9.6) - 134, etc, etc.

Just because he doesn't do the registry should not detract from his amazing collection. And, most of his books were bought raw way before the CGC craze (like ASM 1 9.8, X-Men 1 9.8, FF 1 9.4, Hulk 1 9.4, etc.)

Look, the guy might be a little arrogant and hard to approach, but he's got an awesome collection. He and I often trade books and have helped each other amass these great books, although I wish I could get back that FF 50 9.8 I traded to him raw for an X-Men 9.6!! Oh well!!

As far as who has a better collection, who cares. As long as collecting remains fun and sharing these great books on the registry with you guys can continue, then who has what is immaterial. There are many incredible collections and runs out there (see Ghosttown) to view and share on the registry. That's what makes the registry so good.

Enjoy & haoopy collecting!! (P.S. I'm getting my Sgt Fury run together so if anyone has any 9.4s or better, please let me know. I need a 3, 6, 7, 10, 11 &26).

Thanks for the input Tripps, when I look up the list at your Avengers 1-150 Pacific Coast set, I know how Edmund Hillary felt standing at the foot of Everest. I like your attitude towards collecting. Keep on doing whatever you do. They're beautiful sets! And this is fun!

thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for joining in, it's good to know your around!

On a different note, what sort of insurance premiums do you pay on that lot 893whatthe.gif And do you keep them on show or in a vault?

Obviously, if you don't wish to answer this then thats cool, and I hope you get what your after. I can only offer you a SGT Fury 66 CGC 9.6 sorry.gif

Hook,

Thanks for the post. I really appreciate it when other collectors take notice of what I've been able to put together over the past 10 plus years. I never started out thinking to acquire the "greatest collection" or putting CGC runs together, I simply wanted to get high grade books of the Marvel titles I loved when I was younger but couldn't buy then cause I was a kid. Only through the initial purchases, trades, up-grades, insanity, etc. was I able to have almost complete runs. And when CGC came around, I wanted to see the condition of these books, at least through a third party's mind. After having most of the runs CGC complete, I went all out to fill holes and upgrade the 9.2s and even 9.4s to get better copies (that's where the insanity comes in).

There were really no thoughts of investment here, just a fanboy who loves books trying to complete runs with the best and highest grades he could find. And I don't mind having the books in plastic because almost every book I have I've read many times through Marvel Masterworks, Marvel Essentials, beat-up reading copies, etc.

In fact, when I get a new book or a higher graded existing one in trade, etc., I always try to read that story. The only problem is finding certain titles in reprint, like Sgt Fury.

Again, thanks for everyone's kind words and happy collecting. This is an awesome hobby and the registry and these boards have really added to the fun!!!

Hook,

Most of the early PC books (X-Men, Avengers, DD, ASM) I got through trades with

one collector. It was a series of 4 trades in which I gave up an early key in 9.4 or 9.6 (and with the Hulk 1, 9.2) to get back a 1/2 grade lower key. But due to this, I traded all my 9.4 early DDs, X-Men, Avengers & ASMs to get the Pacific Coast 9.6s on the same issue. After the first trade, in which I gave up a JIM 83 9.4 for his 9.2 and walked away with about 20 PC upgrades, I was hooked, and went back for more. When the smoke had cleared I had the early runs in mostly 9.6 and a JIM 83 9.2 and no Hulk 1 or ASM 2 9.4, but it was worth it. I was later able to find a JIM 83 9.4 and bought back the Hulk 1 from this same collector.

On the early FFs, I traded ASM's to a different collector to get his killer PC FFs (9, 15, 18, 19, 21-28, 30 & up, 22 books in total). They graded mostly 9.6 with a few 9.4s, but nothing less than 9.4. Overall, I've been able to get back each and every ASM I had to trade (like 3 in 9.4), but some I've only been able to get 9.4s 0n (30, 38, 51, 58, 80, etc.). Believe me, getting these early teen PC FFs was the best move I ever made!!!

Doug.

Mankey,

Thanks for the post. It's hard to keep so many books in one place, but most I keep secured in a private storage facility. The most expensive I keep in a safe-deposit box. I also keep some around the apartment to look at, etc.

I don't have my Sgt Furys slabbed up to 66 yet, but I'm in the process of slabbing 50 & up. If my 66 is less than 9.4, I could use your 66, if you don't need it.

Thanks for the offer and keep in touch.

Rip,

I only collect Marvels and some Gold Keys (I used to have a great horror & EC

collection but sold all of it over the past 2 years). I also like some magazines, like Castle of Frankenstein, Savage Sword of Conan, etc.

When I was younger & first got into collecting, it was either Marvel or Dc, but never both. I chose Marvel, but some of the other kids liked the DCs.

Thanks for the Post.

Doug.

Thanks for the info Doug.

I know this would be a tremendous endeavour, but do you have any plans to add some scans, or anecdotes about the books (what you like about particular runs, cover art, how you got them, when and where....etc) to the registry descriptions?

There's a concurrent thread right now discussing the merits of the registry, and my take is that ultimately, it gets to be more fun if there is some personal data thrown in with the cold numbers. I am going to play around with the entries to see if I can get a little creative. I mean, who says the picture that accompanies the entry for a book has to be a CGC style scan? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I don't think the creative side of the registry presentation has been explored by anyone yet.

Brad

Doug, am i mistaken in my belief that most of the post #20 Amazing Spiderman PC copies are held by a collector in the U.K.?

Maybe the same guy who has all the PC TOSs?

Mankey,

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

The 66 is yours for the taking thumbsup2.gif just $2000 to you 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif (only joking thumbsup2.gif)

A UK major player aye 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif anyone care to elaborate? Hows things with you Galactus, havnt spoken to you in a while?