• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CaptainTripps?????????

47 posts in this topic

Check the registry! This guy has HG sets of everything! I only needed to look at his 9.4 and above Tales of Suspense entries and was blown away, let alone all his other wonderful stuff thumbsup2.gif

I may be behind the times here, but who the hell is this???? And how deep are their pockets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No idea, but keep in mind he didn't build this collection post-CGC (like a sucker) and had purchased these books much earlier.

JC, that makes it even more amazing, a true cherry picker of the old school kind thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Oh yeah, he gets top marks for picking the best raw copies, but don't try and get on the Captain Tripps Steamer, as it left the harbor long, long ago.

He is a down to earth guy, and still has great enthusiasm for the hobby despite the quality of his collection. When everyone else was chasing Spidey's, Captain Tripps was trading them in for F.F.s. Guess who's laughing now ? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

By the way, he is also the first and only person thus far to EVER own a complete Journey Into Mystery run from #83 to #125 in CGC 9.4 or better ! insane.gif893whatthe.gif In my book, that is the most remarkable fact of all his registry entries ! 893applaud-thumb.gif

i have sold and shot the breeze with captain tripps and what can i say- he is fanatical about funny books, loves the hobby and LOVES pacific coasts

he is a down to earth guy but "will do anything to get the book he wants out of your hands into his hands" lol!

who has the better collection of marvels? him or tom b? well, i would say becos of the uniformity of captains PC runs, he gets the nod on a split decision

hes actually a top bloke (for a lawyer) lol!!!

who has the better collection of marvels? him or tom b? well, i would say becos of the uniformity of captains PC runs, he gets the nod on a split decision

Really depends on what your criteria of best collection is. Doug's collection, based on what I've seen in the registry, is really amazing in terms of its breadth, and apparently contains every major Marvel key in 9.4 or better, including X-Men 1 in 9.6 and ASM 1 in 9.6, except for Hulk 1 (which he has in 9.2). And he has the FF 1 in 9.6, which in my opinion (I swear I'm not trying to hijack this thread) is the top Marvel key, so the best of the best.

In comparison, Tom has, if memory serves, more of the top known copies of the Marvel keys (9.4 Hulk 1, 9.6 JIM 83, 9.8 ASM 1). I don't know who owns the 9.6 AF 15 or the 9.6 TOS 39. Tom hasn't posted his runs, and while I would guess they're pretty unbelievable too, it would be pretty darn difficult to beat Doug's overall X-Men, JIM and FF runs. Suffice to say they both have unbelievable collections which are unlikely to be surpassed. I'm glad I collect DC! grin.gif

One startling fact that I learned recently is those amazing PC TOSs in the CGC gallery are not Doug's, and they're not Tom's either. They apparently belong to some collector in England. I knew there were some big collectors there, but did not know they were that big. Anyone know who this is?