• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trimmed books...............

33 posts in this topic

So if one had a service that allows for trimmed books to pass as blue would there be interest? Much like pressing; if you can't detect it, it didn't happen.

It's not like pressing. The effects of well-done pressing can come from natural characteristics of a storage environment, but there is no natural condition in which a straight-edge trim can occur. "I store my books in a meat locker near the automatic slicers!" just doesn't cut the mustard. (tsk)

So if one had a service that allows for trimmed books to pass as blue would there be interest? Much like pressing; if you can't detect it, it didn't happen.

I'm sure they'd have interest...if it's undetectable or can feign ignorance it didn't happen works for some people...

Jim

The effects of well-done pressing can come from natural characteristics of a storage environment

Then why are people paying for the service?

Because not everyone can lift cinder blocks on top of a pile of comics and they don't look as desirable around comics, so why not let someone else do it for you :insane:

The effects of well-done pressing can come from natural characteristics of a storage environment

Then why are people paying for the service?

I mean the detectable effects; I didn't mean natural storage can lead to the same level of quality that a pro presser achieves. It can, but it would be exceedingly uncommon, perhaps impossible; it's hard to imagine but I can't rule it out. Signs of heat, humidity, and pressure left by pro pressing could be caused by storage or pressing, you can't tell, but specific action by a skilled presser will yield the best results.

Guys, you're missing the point here. He didn't ask "would you be interested in it?", but "would there be interest?"

And to that, I'm afraid, the answer is probably "yes", as much as we'd like to pretend otherwise. :sorry:

Guys, you're missing the point here. He didn't ask "would you be interested in it?", but "would there be interest?"

And to that, I'm afraid, the answer is probably "yes", as much as we'd like to pretend otherwise. :sorry:

No.

As long as the micro trim being alluded to could improve the grades of books 9.2-9.4 and higher there would be interest. Too much easy money and too many crooks in collectibles.

After what happened with Ewert? Who wants to risk having that scarlet letter attached to them?

As long as the micro trim being alluded to could improve the grades of books 9.2-9.4 and higher there would be interest. Too much easy money and too many crooks in collectibles.

If he was alluding to microtrims, as far as I've been able to tell, you can get those past CGC right now if they're done well. Every time I see a new epic pressing thread I wonder why people don't flip about this more than pressing, seems worse to me.

Nothing added, can't be detected? I see dollar signs in Borock's eyes...

You must be referring to Guido Borock, because Steve Borock has nothing but disdain for trimming and those who engage in the practice.