• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JIM #83 dilemna

15 posts in this topic

I have an opportunity to buy a raw JIM 83 in pretty nice shape. I'd say it's around a 6.5-7.0. The seller is not a collector. He wants me to offer him a fair price. I don't want to low ball the guy, nor do I want to overpay. What is a "fair price" in today's market?

$5,500 is fair market value. If it were me, I'd not want to pay more than $4,500. If it's raw, be careful regarding any restoration work. If you're unsure if it has restoration or not, than offer an even lower price to try and balance out the risk associated with the unknown.

Is it a worthwhile investment at 3,5-4K?

Most people expect keys like JIM #83 to go up in value. The problem is that you have to buy at the right price. The right price depends on what the book is actually like in hand (grade, resto, PQ, etc)

It's only a worthwhile investment if you are buying the book as described, and at the right price.

If the book is not as described, then you can lose your shirt.

If the seller is willing to, maybe you could have it CGC'd and agree beforehand to a range of prices by grade. (shrug) I once sold a book to somebody that way.

I think for such a big book in this mid-grade range this is the fairest thing to do. Possibly, pay like $1000 for it up front, submit it to CGC, and agree on a final price based on GPA (with adjustments for PQ and slabbing fees).

There is a huge price divide for this book in the 7.0 range. The difference between 5.5 and 7.0 is ~$4500 on GPA.

your eyes say 6.5...unless you are 100% on your CGC submissions I would figure it as a 4.0. honestly, i've seen 4.0s that look as good as some 6.5s, sometimes you need to give yourself a benefit of the doubt/worst case scenario approach. figure out what a 4.0 is worth and offer him 30-40%. we're still likely looking at a four figure payment, so you're not exactly hosing him.

When I see a raw key for sale, especially with nice eye appeal, I immediately suspect it was cracked out of a CCGC slab because it didn't grade out. Technically there is nothing wrong with this as the seller is simply disagreeing with the grade but the buyer is overpaying.

I would get it CGC'ed with a Walk thru = you only have to arrange to delay payment for a couple days. A good seller should agree to this.