• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What if your page stinks?

16 posts in this topic

Recently, I purchased a page that reeks of cigarette smoke. I mean it really stinks! :sick:

Problem is I really like the page, but due to the smell, I have to store it separately, away from the rest of my collection. Has anyone experienced something similar and if so, is there anything that can be done to dilute the smell?

The only thing I could think of is letting it air out (in a dark room somewhere). Clothes can loose a cigarette smell given time. But with paper I'd suspect there's only so much good that would do. Febreeze or whatever would only be adding additional chemicals.

You need the paper equivalent of dry-cleaning. Are there restoration services?

Or, you could seal the page up. I use clearbagsDOTcom.

Andrew

if you live in a house, leave it on a shelf in your garage for a couple weeks

if you live in an apartment and have a patio and can set it in a spot that doesn't get direct sunlight (sunlight won't fade the inks as they don't fade, but could damage the strathmore on a minor level) and of course, you'll have to make sure it can't be rained on

Baking soda definitely works. I'd place the page in a box with a dish of baking soda for a week or so and if there's any remaining scent afterwards, leaving it out in the open for another week or so should definitely do the trick.

I would definitely try this method. I have a piece of antique furniture that smelled inside just from being in a hot and humid attic for years and I placed baking soda in a plastic container wih the lid off inside of it and the inside of the furniture smelt a hell of a lot less musty.

you know I'll tell one thing though.. when I saw the title of the thread, I thought you were going to be talking about crappy art, not crappy smelling art

:-)

I thought the same thing. Of course, if you have crappy art the best way to distract yourself from the artwork is if it were to reek of a foul odor.

Baking soda definitely works. I'd place the page in a box with a dish of baking soda for a week or so and if there's any remaining scent afterwards, leaving it out in the open for another week or so should definitely do the trick.

I would definitely try this method. I have a piece of antique furniture that smelled inside just from being in a hot and humid attic for years and I placed baking soda in a plastic container wih the lid off inside of it and the inside of the furniture smelt a hell of a lot less musty.

Thanks for the info! I think I'll air it out in the garage for a few weeks before trying the baking soda, if required afterwards.

you know I'll tell one thing though.. when I saw the title of the thread, I thought you were going to be talking about crappy art, not crappy smelling art

:-)

What, like a Frank Robbins piece that smells like feet?

Not sure what's worse, the art or the smell in this case. :P