• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In which box do you belong?

46 posts in this topic

I just wondered: how many collector "types" do we have here on the boards? I can think of a few:

(i) Fanboy collectors (those notoriously targeting 'collectors item'-books)

(ii) Investor collectors (the big whales)

(iii) Dealer collectors (their collection and their inventory is basically one and the same thing)

(iv) Old timer - heart of gold - collectors (romantics who see their books as artworks and not as '$-items')

(v) Bonehead collectors (those cheerfully accumulating 40 copies of Spawn 1 in cgc 9.8 SS)

Just my 2c (thumbs u

I can understand from the answers so far:

that there is a certain amount of migration taking place between boxes during a collector 'career'. (By migration I do not mean rust migration but movement, lol). (i), (ii) and (v) are looked upon as temporary 'places to settle'. (iii) and (iv) are considered a kind of endpoint. (iii) more as a possible way to somehow get your spoon over into the cherished (iv)-category. It seems everybody would like see themselves in that box. Why? Is this board full of romantics or ...?

(we all know: that a cynic is just a disappointed romantic let down by lifes circumstances)

Has the oldtimer (iv)-box got more integrity than the other boxes or what is the reason that one is so popular? (shrug)

And some people are Orcas me thinks hm

But those people are NOT purely buying books for the investment aspect.

Most of the killer collections are owned by people with some form of attachment to the books, and are just not pure investors. Those type of "investment-only" skinbags always do very poorly because they're buying what the market/dealer is telling them to.

Well...I guess I'm a former (iii) that has settled down into a (iv). I buy/collect what I like, and if I can turn someone else on to it, cool. So I guess I still have a little bit of (iii) in me - just not in an effort to move my own inventory any more.

L