• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGG JLA 21 9.2, TRIMMED??

30 posts in this topic

Without a reasonably verifiable "before" scan, these are pretty pointless exercises in utter conjecture. While I personally don't think the book in question is a 9.2, I've seen CGC 9.2s I didn't agree with either.

I think this book was dropped or banged around inside of the slab.

Note that you can see the insert sticking out [!@#%^&^]-eyed on the front cover scan... a white tip below Batman's cape and a tip sticking out next to the S in Superman's cape. Also, see how crooked the book is in the slab.

It doesn't appear to be as crooked in the rear view, plus you can't see the insert sticking out from the rear view.

Did the seller drop the book between scans? confused-smiley-013.gif

I always thought that 1/2 inch color breaking creases weren't allowed on a 9.2.

The one at the UL corner? I agree.

Now, as for...

But that wavy right edge does not look right.

I initially thought the interior exposure was attributed to miswrap, but check out the discoloration on Aquaman's chair. Definitely looks like a deliberate cut that tilts(?) inward to minimize whatever that flaw is ...then swerves back out. Ooops.

Still a sweet DC. Just not as sweet.

And no way as sweet as my 9.2. grin.gif

Rick

I don't think anything strongly about this, other than now people are gonna start seeing trim-jobs on every CGG book, whether or not it's there.

Boy oh boy, you got that one right. It's the new fad: "Trim-job!". Just shows me a lack of maturity and inability to judge fairly. Too many CGC Zombies have a strong bias towards any of their competion having any services that can compare in quality with that of CGC. -----Sid

I consider myself to be pretty impartial when it comes to grading books, whether raw, CGC slabbed, CGG slabbed, or whatever. I think this book is both trimmed and overgraded and I believe I have a right to say whatever the hell I want about it. If you don't like it, skip my posts. But don't accuse me of having a lack of maturity or inability to judge fairly. If you've got some hidden pro-CGG agenda, that's your problem. But don't accuse others of having an agenda just because they point at a questionable book and don't follow blindly along with what a "professional" grader said. THAT, my friend, displays a lack of maturity and inability to judge fairly. mad.gif

I don't think anything strongly about this, other than now people are gonna start seeing trim-jobs on every CGG book, whether or not it's there.

Boy oh boy, you got that one right. It's the new fad: "Trim-job!". Just shows me a lack of maturity and inability to judge fairly. Too many CGC Zombies have a strong bias towards any of their competion having any services that can compare in quality with that of CGC. -----Sid

Did the whole trim thing start here More CGC Grading Fun ?

Do you think that DC and Marvel gave a [!@#%^&^] on the print quality or the centering of a comic or have a uniformed look to the comic back in the day?

They used cheap paper and the only quality control they had was to make sure the comic had all the pages and got to the newsstand on time. sign-rantpost.gif

I consider myself to be pretty impartial when it comes to grading books, whether raw, CGC slabbed, CGG slabbed, or whatever. I think this book is both trimmed and overgraded and I believe I have a right to say whatever the hell I want about it. If you don't like it, skip my posts. But don't accuse me of having a lack of maturity or inability to judge fairly. If you've got some hidden pro-CGG agenda, that's your problem. But don't accuse others of having an agenda just because they point at a questionable book and don't follow blindly along with what a "professional" grader said. THAT, my friend, displays a lack of maturity and inability to judge fairly. mad.gif

Fantasy, I am not talking about you specifically. Just in general the way so many people are accusing so many comics of either being trimmed or cleaned and pressed these days. These are the new fads it seems and people are going overboard IMO on these issues. Hey, people can say whatever they want about a book and I did not accuse anyone of having any agenda. I enjoy the services of both CGC and CGG and find it very unfair to to keep accusing a company (CGG in this case) of not catching certain hard to see restoration jobs when they have no proof that this is so. People are smearing this company's name with what I believe are absolutely ridiculous accusations in books that look to me IMO like typical off-centered books. ----Sid

Sorry my response seemed so harsh -- Darth took my meds because he said he needed them more, and he has kids so I figured he was right.

Anyway, I think that there's little wrong with discussing whether a book is trimmed or not. If someone is wrong about it, a knowledgeable person on the boards can set them straight. In just about every thread where there's been some discussion about a trimmed, slabbed book, someone has chimed in to explain that it is very hard to detect a trim from a scan and that many books weren't printed with exacting printing standards or with standard sizing. Driving yourself crazy by being mad at people for having a discussion is not worth it. It's better just to state your opinion without calling us all zombies and then allowing us to have whatever discussion we're going to have. It's a lot more fun when we can discuss things factually, rather than having fights, and people learn more (and the board is better for it) that way in any event. flowerred.gif

Fantasy, I am not talking about you specifically. Just in general the way so many people are accusing so many comics of either being trimmed or cleaned and pressed these days. These are the new fads it seems and people are going overboard IMO on these issues. Hey, people can say whatever they want about a book and I did not accuse anyone of having any agenda. I enjoy the services of both CGC and CGG and find it very unfair to to keep accusing a company (CGG in this case) of not catching certain hard to see restoration jobs when they have no proof that this is so. People are smearing this company's name with what I believe are absolutely ridiculous accusations in books that look to me IMO like typical off-centered books. ----Sid

Fantasy, I agree with you on that. I don't care what people want to talk about or how many books they want to assume are trimmed or cleaned and pressed. If you read my posts on many other threads you will see that I usually stick up for the underdog whether it is a person or a company. That is usually because the one under attack is not here to defend themselves and I think the lynch mob mentality that goes on around here sometimes is unfair. So I do find myself sticking up for CGG from time to time. Not that I really care, but because I think that somebody needs to. My problem here is that I see a bunch of guys accusing CGG often of not catching either a trim job or a cleaning and pressing job. They talk about lack of credibility and bash them constantly. I think this is ridiculous. If it was true then go ahead. I have no problem with prosecuting the guilty. The problem here is that there are too many assumptions going on. I bet that there have to be some people that have been influenced by seeing these false claims here into not using CGG's service. I hope this isn't the case but I fear it is.

On the other similar thread MW1 is sending his book off to CGC to get a second opinion on CGG's claim that his ASM #121 is not trimmed. If CGC says "TRIM!!!!!" then by all means bash away. But until I see proof, and not just people stating "I'm 95% sure that this book is trimmed even though CGG says it is not" then I will stick up for this new company.

I can just only hope that this unjust bashing will come to an end unless there is valid proof in the accusations being made. I just cannot stand people smearing a person or company's reputation on assumptions. mad.gif ------Sid