• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sgt. Fury #1

164 posts in this topic

One day - after all the DC war and Atlas war wants are finished - I'm going to go after this run.

While not as substantial as the DC war characters, SFATHC were loads of fun. I know everyone goes after the Kirby issues, but the stories inked by John Severin in the late 1960s/early70s are some of my favorite war comics art.

Aside from #1, are there any issues that are particularly elusive? Or are they all fairly common?

Shep

Hola Amigo,

Elusive in High Grade (in 9.2 or higher) #1.

Hard to find High Grade (in 9.2 or higher) 2-11, 14,15,17

It is actually harder to find RAW 9.2 and above for the 101 and higher than it is 39-80...

I've been putting together a set of 9.2 and higher -- 11 books 1-100 and 24 books 101-167.

The Annuals are all pretty easy find in high grade.

Hasta,

Pablo

So the thread for the 21st most important SA book has dropped to page 4 :o

Must be due to someone starting too many threads recently.

What are your thoughts on its position?

I expected it to be around 25th

I expected to be around #1! (thumbs u

Anyway, most people (and I mean comic book collector/readers) have not read Sgt. Fury and HHC. There are many good stories in and around the crazy war campiness. Stories on death (of course), prejudice, racism, mental breakdown, capture/rescue.

3 Marvel Masterworks for Sgt. Fury are available.

Today it's all about Nick Fury, S.H.I.E.L.D, and making the characters for movies/tv.

Hasta,

Pablo

It ranked around where i believe the masses currently see it. Given that there are so many other mainstream Marvel/DC Superhero 1st appearances left on the list, there was little chance of it scoring higher. Although that may well change with the next wave of 3 Marvel films and his appearances therin.

On another note, it seems the prices for Sgt Fury #1 keep on marching upwards. Looks like the copy in Heritage will set another record price.

I think we are seeing a rebalancing of key books.

The 1st tier books (top 5-8 SA marvels) all increased dramatically pre 2009 whereas the 2nd tier had not.

I remember buying a TOS #39 7.5 for $2.4k in 2004. Its now a $7k book. (200%)

The relative costs and previous purchases means that pre 2010 people were buying the the major keys before they went out of reach.

Books like Sgt Fury #1 were therefore left to later as they are considerably cheaper but are now starting to catch up in relative terms.

I bought a 6.5 Sgt Fury for $650 in 2006 - latest GPA sale is $1.3k. A 100% increase of which most has occured in the last year or so.

I agree to an extent, although i believe with the focus on Fury more and more these last few years, he has been pushed more towards the spotlight than some of the other characters in the 2nd tier key books you talk about. This has resulted in major increases during the last 9 months, over and above these other issues, as the next batch of films draw closer and the prospect of a Samuel L Jackson Fury film looms.

Just in case anyone is interested, there is a very nice Sgt. Fury #1 on E-Bay at the moment via PGC Mint. For those of you yet to get a hold of a copy, my suggestion would be to grab it while prices on this issue are still reasonable.

Link - http://cgi.ebay.com/SGT-FURY-1-CGC-VF-6-5-1st-Nick-Fury-Avengers-1963-/400214674652?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2ea74cdc

Sgt Fury #3 9.6 sells for $5,975 :o

Series is on fire

The book had to be easily thee scarcest Marvel SA book bar none! So no great surprise on that price.

Though who ever bought it, has thrown it right onto another auction block, as it's at pedigree right now at $2k, and 2 days still too run.

Doug writes....

"WOW!! Single Highest Graded of the toughest issue of the run to locate in high grade (1 9.6, 1 9.4 and 3 9.2's!!). Reed Richards cross over. Stan Lee story and Jack Kirby cover. Extremely Scarce in any grade, mostly white cover makes finding a high grade copy impossible. Nothing matches this gem, best in existence. WA-Hoo!!"

nice. maybe I should press the noncolor breaking bend out of this book. hm

those white areas and the part in the logo is from the slab

sgt3.jpg

:takeit::wishluck:

lol

One day - after all the DC war and Atlas war wants are finished - I'm going to go after this run.

While not as substantial as the DC war characters, SFATHC were loads of fun. I know everyone goes after the Kirby issues, but the stories inked by John Severin in the late 1960s/early70s are some of my favorite war comics art.

Aside from #1, are there any issues that are particularly elusive? Or are they all fairly common?

Shep

#6 is notoriously tough in higher grade. A few issues in the teens are pretty tough too.