• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sgt. Fury #1

164 posts in this topic

The 8.5 that sold on Heritage in August was mine. It was a beautiful copy that looked better than an 8.5 and I'd say that the price realized was a bit of an anomaly. I'd be surprised if the 9.0 goes above $10000, but stranger things have happened. I'd say $7500-$8500 is more likely. We'll see. :popcorn:

Andy

Fury doesn't get the respect that Rock does, but based on the few Severin issues I've read, the series really evolved. It probably suffered from the Marvel Zombie "If it ain't Kirby/ Ditko/ Romita/ Buscema, it's not worth reading" syndrome. I know because I used to be that way. I remember how my friends and I used to make fun of Don Heck(for example), and now I love his first couple years of Iron Man. Fury may get hot if enough people take the time to give it a good read. Your 8.5 WAS an exceptional copy and someone probably bought the book and not the label....that usually results in a higher hammer. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

These are astonishingly strong prices for what is, rightfully, the drekkiest of drekky Marvel #1s of the time period. Not that it's bad. It's not. But it is a War #1 at a time when capes were all the rage.

Come on, its not the drekkiest of drekky Marvel #1's by a longshot. Surely that honour goes to most Romance comics :grin:

Is there a Marvel Age romance #1 from 1961-1964?

The 8.5 that sold on Heritage in August was mine. It was a beautiful copy that looked better than an 8.5 and I'd say that the price realized was a bit of an anomaly. I'd be surprised if the 9.0 goes above $10000, but stranger things have happened. I'd say $7500-$8500 is more likely. We'll see. :popcorn:

Andy

Fury doesn't get the respect that Rock does, but based on the few Severin issues I've read, the series really evolved. It probably suffered from the Marvel Zombie "If it ain't Kirby/ Ditko/ Romita/ Buscema, it's not worth reading" syndrome. I know because I used to be that way. I remember how my friends and I used to make fun of Don Heck(for example), and now I love his first couple years of Iron Man. Fury may get hot if enough people take the time to give it a good read. Your 8.5 WAS an exceptional copy and someone probably bought the book and not the label....that usually results in a higher hammer. GOD BLESS...

Sgt Fury rocked. It was consistently one of Marvel's best written series, from the very beginning, and from the time Severin took over the pencils (and inks on covers) it was one of the best drawn series.

Andy

The 8.5 was a nice looking copy as is the 7.5 (for the grade), but i dont think the price spike was an anomaly or just 2 motivated bidders pushing up the price to win the copy, there where many other bidders myslef included, and even though i tailed off a way before the final price, that was only because i wasnt expecting the price to go up so much and did not have the finances in order.

Would i pay $6,800 for it now, maybe...lets wait and see if the 7.5 copy goes for $2.500. If so, then my answer is yes, sell me your 8.5 white page copies :foryou:

I think what people are mostly overlooking when pricing this issue, is just how scarce this book is in anything above a 5.5. The census numbers are real low and you just dont get opportunities to pick up one of these very often. Having a 7.5 and 9.0 copy for sale is really a massive boon to a collector like myself, who now has a choice of 2 copies when for so long i couldn't even find one above my 7.0. copy.

Andy

I read a lot of the DC war titles and i still came back consistently to Sgt Fury. As has been said before he was well written and drawn but its the development of the character over the 60's that i found trully beat the competition hands down.

Just been looking at the 7.5 on Heritage and its an OWW book in an old label.

Does anyone know the PQ coversion rate from OWW (old label) to W (new label)pages when a book has been resubmitted?

If any you same as me Sgt. Fury lovers are at San Diego, Philadelphia, NYCC, an/or Baltimore conventions let me know so we can talk Howling Commandos. I will bring my Sgt. Fury Original art.

I have been reading Sgt. Fury since the 60's and collecting since the late 80's. I have seen only 3 raw copies in the 8.00 or above range. This includes attending SDCC dince 1991.

I bought my 1,2, and 4 from an OO collection in 1994. The person also had all the other Marrvel Keys in 8.0 or better. I only wanted the Sgt. Fury.

What was I thinking? lol

I could have bought a lot more Sgt. Fury Art by now! :makepoint:

Hasta,

Pablo

Just been looking at the 7.5 on Heritage and its an OWW book in an old label.

Does anyone know the PQ coversion rate from OWW (old label) to W (new label)pages when a book has been resubmitted?

How could anyone, including CGC, know the conversion rate on Old label to new label resubs ? I only resubmited a few old label books but nobody knew but me.

I once had an OW/W that was regraded as CR/OW. Nothing automatic about a PQ bump for an old label. Urban myth !

I once owned a VF+ (easy VF+) copy for which I paid the princely sum of $50. I traded it for my beater JIM 83.

To this day, it's the one comic I've let go that I really wish I had back.

doh!

I wish I had ever owned a VF+ copy of a silver age key.

Beest I have ever managed is a VF Avengers #1 which I sold prior to the pick up in prices.

I once owned a VF+ (easy VF+) copy for which I paid the princely sum of $50. I traded it for my beater JIM 83.

doh!

It's not like they're hard to find. What's stopping you now?

doh!

In the last month - new kitchen, new bathroom and now wife wants a new car.

doh!

Been there. Done that. Got the t-shirt.

I still miss them, however. :(

doh!

In the last month - new kitchen, new bathroom and now wife wants a new car.

lol I initially read "now wife" as "new wife".

Yes, I can imagine that getting the new Bentley would strain the old comic budget. meh

doh!

Yeah, 'cause those VF+ GA keys are horrible.

:baiting: