• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are These "Big Dealer" Mass Submissions Hurting the Market?

54 posts in this topic

They'd be showing preferential treatment to a section of the hobby that does not spend as much on their product, but likes to whine more...must be something that comes with getting on in years 27_laughing.gif

Far be it for me to disagree with the venerable Darth, but... Do moder subs actually make CGC more money? Let's review the data that Valiantman just gave us....

CGC Census numbers - 1/8/2004 update - (compared to 11/11/2003)

Modern (1975 - present): 192,493 submissions (+9,451; +5.2%)

non-Modern (1974 and earlier): 184,532 submissions (+6,178; +3.5%)

Now that looks like a difference of only 7,961 subs to me. Since any tier above Modern is almost double the cost or higher doesn't it stand to reason that CGC actually makes more money on the other tiers?

192,493 modern subs at $16.00 per/sub = $3,079,888

184,532 subs in every other tier at the low Economy range of $29.00 per/sub = $5,351,428

That's a difference of $2,271,540 in favor of non-modern. (And that's at the Econ price. They actually make more factoring in the higher prices for the higher tiers)

Now I realize that CGC makes additional money on moderns for the pre-screen subs, but I don't think that makes up the difference does it?

sumo.gif

That said... every comic I have at CGC right now is modern makepoint.gif

My question to you would be how does CGC justify bumping the modern tier back and continuing with business as usual on other tiers? Are those books more important than moderns? Are those submitters using other tiers paying with money greener than that paid my modern submitters? I would be hard pressed to come up with a valid business justification for curtailing modern tier submissions while letting the others continue on. It's not like all resources from Modern grading could be devoted to the other tiers with the flick of a switch, IMO?

I agree with the troll doll on this point. Curtailing any of the tiers would be a foolish move by cgc. I buy, and will eventually submit, across all groups. I personally do not want to see CGC favoring one group of submissions over another.

Am I crazy or did Steve not say that manpower in the grading department was one of the areas they needed help? Also, I believe he pointed out that it takes something like 2-3 months to properly train a new grader. CGC will get it under control. They are at the top of the market for the business they provide. They will not jeopardize that.

The not-so-funny thing is that CGC's janitors know more about grading comic books than other 3rd party comic book grading companies frequently mentioned on these boards foreheadslap.gif

At the very least, I'm guessing those janitors know more about cleaning and pressing ...

Well you would agree with that wouldn't you? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The funny thing is I sent 15 books to CGC yes CGC 893whatthe.gif and they are all modern books. I hope to get them back June

They'd be showing preferential treatment to a section of the hobby that does not spend as much on their product, but likes to whine more...must be something that comes with getting on in years 27_laughing.gif

Far be it for me to disagree with the venerable Darth, but... Do moder subs actually make CGC more money? Let's review the data that Valiantman just gave us....

CGC Census numbers - 1/8/2004 update - (compared to 11/11/2003)

Modern (1975 - present): 192,493 submissions (+9,451; +5.2%)

non-Modern (1974 and earlier): 184,532 submissions (+6,178; +3.5%)

Now that looks like a difference of only 7,961 subs to me. Since any tier above Modern is almost double the cost or higher doesn't it stand to reason that CGC actually makes more money on the other tiers?

192,493 modern subs at $16.00 per/sub = $3,079,888

184,532 subs in every other tier at the low Economy range of $29.00 per/sub = $5,351,428

That's a difference of $2,271,540 in favor of non-modern. (And that's at the Econ price. They actually make more factoring in the higher prices for the higher tiers)

Now I realize that CGC makes additional money on moderns for the pre-screen subs, but I don't think that makes up the difference does it?

sumo.gif

That said... every comic I have at CGC right now is modern makepoint.gif

no problem with disagreement... it is the way submitters treat modern subs that get the repeat business and otential for more money quicker. The longer turnaround for the other tiers does not have the potential for quicker return business like the modeerns.

picture a mass slabber...ties up funds in modern subs, but needs to sell them quick, make some profit and invest that towards the next mass submission...rinse and repeat. The other tiers' submitters have to wait longer for their subs to get back before selling them. And most of the non-modern tier submitters keep their books and don't sell at all, but the ones that do sell must wait longer for finances to build up before submitting again.

CGC's turnaround times can be best described as the following:

UNACCEPTABLE!!!!

mad.gif

Easily solved...do what you can to stem this problem. Get rid of your comics. Move to Sarasota and become a CGC grader. then never sell comics again. Simple, right? With these conditions for being a grader, I'm surprised not more of the guys complaining about turnaround times hasn't already done this? confused-smiley-013.gif

CGC's turnaround times can be best described as the following:

UNACCEPTABLE!!!!

mad.gif

Easily solved...do what you can to stem this problem. Get rid of your comics. Move to Sarasota and become a CGC grader. then never sell comics again. Simple, right? With these conditions for being a grader, I'm surprised not more of the guys complaining about turnaround times hasn't already done this? confused-smiley-013.gif

A CGC grader can't even sell raw comics...? frown.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

How much do they pay? Working there could be a good excuse to my fiance why I can't sell my comics anymore thumbsup2.gif