• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are These "Big Dealer" Mass Submissions Hurting the Market?

54 posts in this topic

CGC commented on this awhile back, and although it is in the best interest of any business to give your Big Customers quicker shipping times, I'm wondering if this will have long-term fallout.

I know people who have large Silver/Bronze subs in process, and will be waiting many months to get them back, while many Big Dealers simply flood EBay with CGC 9.8 Modern drek.

For a buyer like myself, who wouldn't touch a Modern with a 10-foot pole, this favoritism is killing my interest in searching EBay. It seems all these Big Boys are interested in is being the first out of the gate with Hot Modern #1 in CGC 9.8 or higher, and then moving onto the next hot speculator sucker book.

If these dealers were using their quicker submit times for good, rather than for evil, it wouldn't bug me so much, but CGC really needs to release a wide range of Golden, Silver, Bronze and Modern books on a daily basis, rather than just "pre-grading that case of Ultimate Fantastic Four that Neatstuff just sent in".

CGC commented on this awhile back, and although it is in the best interest of any business to give your Big Customers quicker shipping times, I'm wondering if this will have long-term fallout.

I know people who have large Silver/Bronze subs in process, and will be waiting many months to get them back, while many Big Dealers simply flood EBay with CGC 9.8 Modern drek.

For a buyer like myself, who wouldn't touch a Modern with a 10-foot pole, this favoritism is killing my interest in searching EBay. It seems all these Big Boys are interested in is being the first out of the gate with Hot Modern #1 in CGC 9.8 or higher, and then moving onto the next hot speculator sucker book.

If these dealers were using their quicker submit times for good, rather than for evil, it wouldn't bug me so much, but CGC really needs to release a wide range of Golden, Silver, Bronze and Modern books on a daily basis, rather than just "pre-grading that case of Ultimate Fantastic Four that Neatstuff just sent in".

Ditto. thumbsup2.gif

Sure, but I'm referring to the supply-side issues inherent in giving these Big Dealers accelerated grading times, when all they do is send in cases of Moderns. You could really see the Modern-to-Bronze-to-Silver-to-Gold ratios getting out of whack when CGC announced their pre-grade service, and it's gone into overdrive since then.

If this continues, we may not see any new Gold, Silver or Bronze CGC comics with any regularity. I could care less if these guys crash the market with all their Modern crapola, as long as I can buy some Bronze books.

Sure, but I'm referring to the supply-side issues inherent in giving these Big Dealers accelerated grading times, when all they do is send in cases of Moderns. You could really see the Modern-to-Bronze-to-Silver-to-Gold ratios getting out of whack when when CGC announced their pre-grade service, and it's gone into overdrive since then.

If this continues, we may not see any new Gold, Silver or Bronze CGC comics with any regularity. I could care less if these guys crash the market with all their Modern crapola, as long as I can buy some Bronze books.

I agree.

They should at least put a limit on what they can submit until they get back on schedule. flowerred.gif

i hear you but I thought it was also noted fact that the main three including borock don't touch moderns. As I'm sure you don't want these guys divertred to moderns, you probably don't want pregraders/newer graders looking at your high price golden to bronze...i don't think modern submissions affect the other tiers...

I talked to Steve Borock at MegaCon. He basically said that he doesn't grade the economy submissions (which would imply that he doesn't grade moderns either). He also said, HE IS BEHIND, for the first time in a very long time.

Obviously, CGC is still getting a ton of submissions, regardless of the submission tier (modern, economy, standard, etc.).

i hear you but I thought it was also noted fact that the main three including borock don't touch moderns.

So all those CGC 9.9 and 10.0 GEMS are being graded by the janitor? 893whatthe.gif

10.0s are the exception - all 10's were to my knowledge verified by the big three..but the 9.9's and lower...grunt work

i hear you but I thought it was also noted fact that the main three including borock don't touch moderns.

So all those CGC 9.9 and 10.0 GEMS are being graded by the janitor? 893whatthe.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

As I'm sure you don't want these guys divertred to moderns, you probably don't want pregraders/newer graders looking at your high price golden to bronze...i don't think modern submissions affect the other tiers...

But it' not just the graders is it? The whole system gets jammed up with these extra books, slabbing/labeling/packing etc all have turn around times that will be affected by the supply of books.

I think it would be a great idea if CGC could somehow spread the submission load across the tiers.

i hear you but I thought it was also noted fact that the main three including borock don't touch moderns. As I'm sure you don't want these guys divertred to moderns, you probably don't want pregraders/newer graders looking at your high price golden to bronze...i don't think modern submissions affect the other tiers...

Then splain to me like I'm 5 why economy subs are taking 5 months to grade?

I don't know about hurting the overall market, but I think it's pretty clear that it's hurting CGC's market. Raise your hand if you've got books you'd like to send in but aren't bothering because they're too slow. That's money right out of CGC's pockets.

But, the reality is that CGC is a consortium of comic book dealers. All of their charter members are big national dealers, and so their policies and practices are aimed at making their member dealers as much money as possible.

I wish they'd bump the modern tier back and focus on getting econs/standards up to a reasonable turn-time. I don't think it's that big submitters get preferential treatment, but modern books get slabbed first, whether they come from Darth or from the guy with the "Guaranteed 9.8 Service". I've got some econs I'd like to get slabbed so I can generate some cash flow for the summer conventions, but the current turn-time doesn't show me getting them back until June/July. CGG is a viable alternative to me at this point...cheaper...faster... frown.gif

I am sitting on some Bronze books I would like to submit, however I keep reading about delays in grading. I want to make two submissions: one using my 3 xpress coupons for joining the society and another using the standard 5 day submission. Are these on time? Is it strictly the economy and small modern submissions that are behind? I checked on the website and it seems like the standard and express are running along as advertised. I plan on keeping the books I submit so it is a bit irrelevant really. I'm just not all that jazzed about my comics potentially being out of my hands for months.

I am sitting on some Bronze books I would like to submit, however I keep reading about delays in grading. I want to make two submissions: one using my 3 xpress coupons for joining the society and another using the standard 5 day submission. Are these on time? Is it strictly the economy and small modern submissions that are behind? I checked on the website and it seems like the standard and express are running along as advertised. I plan on keeping the books I submit so it is a bit irrelevant really. I'm just not all that jazzed about my comics potentially being out of my hands for months.

Well, the Express should come in on time (I submitted some myself last month and got them back within 2 weeks door-to-door!), the Standards look like they're about a week behind (a month turn-time vs. the stated 15-business days). If you're not in a hurry I'd definitely go econ on the bronze books...and save $15 a pop. Patience pays in this hobby, whether you're looking for books or slabbing!!

I'm just waiting for Philadelphia and will be giving a big fat pile of books for on-site grading. Costs a little more, but is worth it for the time and aggravation saved.

Look for my super nice Batman 17! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Definitely me.

I don't know about hurting the overall market, but I think it's pretty clear that it's hurting CGC's market. Raise your hand if you've got books you'd like to send in but aren't bothering because they're too slow. That's money right out of CGC's pockets.

But, the reality is that CGC is a consortium of comic book dealers. All of their charter members are big national dealers, and so their policies and practices are aimed at making their member dealers as much money as possible.