• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Watchmen #1 page 1

59 posts in this topic

:o

$33,460.00

Doesn't mean a thing, guys. Give Gene a minute, he's composing a retort to explain how this specific result is actually a sign of an impending crash for the hobby.

(Puts on Gene Hat)

Obviously it shows that people are moving OUT of original artwork and INTO manuscripts. The best thing about this page is Moore's writing anyway.

:ohnoez: The End Is Nigh!!!! :ohnoez:

$33,460.00

Doesn't mean a thing, guys. Give Gene a minute, he's composing a retort to explain how this specific result is actually a sign of an impending crash for the hobby.

The one thing I would say is this is an item many would call A+ (I myself don't care for the Watchmen artwork). A+ stuff always does well. Based on some of the results I saw from both Heritage and CLINK, I would say prices were not that strong. The Spiderman 155 cover failed to meet reserve. I know some people don't like it, but it is one of the few covers available publically. No, I would say in general, prices are stabalizing on the bulk of the stuff being offered.

that's actually a very interesting page to try and value. One of the few pages with no watchmen on it, that I can see, and at the same time one of the few splash pages.

Has aliens on it... which I thought was the weakest part of the story. But, is graphically a real cool scene.

Obviously its not worth anywhere near 40k... thoughts? 17? 20? (shrug) I would think anymore spending more would want watchmen on the page.

$33,460.00

I actually don't think it does mean a thing as far as WM is concerned. There ARE pages I can see selling for $33.5K (even before this auction), but I wouldn't have put this one in that category. Ideally, another page will be sold publicly before we draw any conclusions about the WM market.

So before all WM pages get a bump up in value as a result of this auction, let's remember that the $100K DD #188 cover was followed up by the $25K DD #186 cover.

Regardless, congrats to both buyer and seller, I'm sure they're both happy.

that's actually a very interesting page to try and value. One of the few pages with no watchmen on it, that I can see, and at the same time one of the few splash pages.

Has aliens on it... which I thought was the weakest part of the story. But, is graphically a real cool scene.

Obviously its not worth anywhere near 40k... thoughts? 17? 20? (shrug) I would think anymore spending more would want watchmen on the page.

The seller originally listed this at $100K. He's adjusted his price since, but I still wouldn't say he's come to his senses:P

It's a $10K page max to me. But I never thought anyone would pay $33.5K for the page 1, so who knows...maybe there's someone out there who really loves this page. It wasn't that long ago when five-figure price tags were reserved for undisputed "great" pages. Wow.

Yeah I remember Comic Showcase, OA wasn't all that back then.

Clem.. I'm not sure what you mean by that.. Do you mean that art wasn't collected by very many people or just that modern age art was low priced then in comparison to today??

Most certainly, art collecting "was all that". Yes, Watchmen art was only $100 and up at the time, but to many of us who did not collect modern age art, we all thought the prices were fairly high on some of it. It was one reason why I as a dealer didn't mess with it. Of course Albert and Scott Dunbier and others bought as much as they could - they were interested in modern age stuff.

Even Frank Miller art at $300 a page way back then seemed kind of hi to many of us and inparticular to those of us who collected golden age/silver age art.

also keep in mind, $300 in 1987 was a considerable piece of change

The seller originally listed this at $100K. He's adjusted his price since, but I still wouldn't say he's come to his senses:P

It's a $10K page max to me. But I never thought anyone would pay $33.5K for the page 1, so who knows...maybe there's someone out there who really loves this page. It wasn't that long ago when five-figure price tags were reserved for undisputed "great" pages. Wow.

yeah isn't 10k pretty much the floor and 15k pretty much average these days? I guess what I am saying is I figure this page is pretty much on par with the talking heads panel pages and maybe just a smidge better but not much.

yeah isn't 10k pretty much the floor and 15k pretty much average these days? I guess what I am saying is I figure this page is pretty much on par with the talking heads panel pages and maybe just a smidge better but not much.

It really depends on the page. $10K is not the floor. I'd put it at $3-4K still for pirate or non-main character pages. I don't see anyone paying $10K for, for example, a page of the newsstand guy and kid just to have an example from WM.

Yeah I remember Comic Showcase, OA wasn't all that back then.

Clem.. I'm not sure what you mean by that.. Do you mean that art wasn't collected by very many people or just that modern age art was low priced then in comparison to today??

Most certainly, art collecting "was all that". Yes, Watchmen art was only $100 and up at the time, but to many of us who did not collect modern age art, we all thought the prices were fairly high on some of it. It was one reason why I as a dealer didn't mess with it. Of course Albert and Scott Dunbier and others bought as much as they could - they were interested in modern age stuff.

Even Frank Miller art at $300 a page way back then seemed kind of hi to many of us and inparticular to those of us who collected golden age/silver age art.

also keep in mind, $300 in 1987 was a considerable piece of change

I think Clem was referring to the UK comic art market circa that time and specifically the art scene as it was per Comic Showcase.

In that regard I agree with you totally. I was a regular visitor to Comic Showcase from around 1982 and I never saw anyone doing any more than flipping through the old poster rack containing the art. Even at the height of Watchmen in the late 80's the art seemed to sit there for ages, although that could have been to do with the price in fairness.

It really depends on the page. $10K is not the floor. I'd put it at $3-4K still for pirate or non-main character pages. I don't see anyone paying $10K for, for example, a page of the newsstand guy and kid just to have an example from WM.

Thanks Felix.