• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cerebus 300 is in

36 posts in this topic

doesnt look like it to me either. DAVE was never block letters like that... Wasnt hi ssig modeled after Neal Adams sig?

Back to Cerebus 300, what happens in those white pages? Is he drawn down to hell instead of heaven with all his friends? And why in his Rabbi identity? And what was the whole waiting for Shem about that took 10 issues of negotiations? And Cloning?? Who was Shems mother too? Jaka, Joanne, or some later woman who looked like Jaka?

I really get the feeling that while Dave planned the book out tightly to pace it to end at 300, his developing ideas and philosophical interests led the book down unforeseen paths that forced the quick cobbled ending. I think it could have used another 100 issues!

Finally, the 300 monthly issue thing was a SELF-imposed (or in Daves case 'inflicted') deadline. Do any of us readers care that he finished EXACTLY on time?? I dont. Dave changed so much in 27 years, so wht stick to the deadline that young Dave made up on the spot??

Just time to get your 1 to 75 complete run in (not my auction):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2230173492&category=3952&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

One where I think the current price is going to be the final price!

Um, wrong. Nice healthy price on this. I'm hoping to do similar with my 1 to 300 lot this month.

I'm having a tough time finding Cerebus issues in my town. Back issues are two expensive and thier selection sucks.

At MegaCon I got like ahundred issues for 50 cents each.

For some reason I cant find any of the latter day issues anywhere, not even ebay.

like 298 and 299 are no where to be found. I was able to get two copies of 300 though.

One day i'd like to have 1-300

I hate tradepaperbacks gossip.gif

Kev,

I've really enjoyed your posts in this thread. Very well thought out, a pleasure to read cool.gif

As an aside, I found this comment interesting:

"I don't think a day goes by where I don't encounter a commercial on radio or television where a man isn't openly portrayed and stupid and weak, even children are given more credit in ads than a lot of men are. If the ad was reversed and women were openly insulted like that the people that made it would be fined for committing a hate crime. "

...as it's something I've noticed as well... the man is always portrayed as the bumbling insufficiently_thoughtful_person. Every radio ad, every tv ad you name it... any time a husband and a wife are talking the man is the butt of the joke. I wonder if nearly 15 years of Homer Simpson (much as I LOVE that show) hasn't contributed to that. As you mention... the woman is never, ever portrayed in that same negative light. Which is why, frankly, I agree with some of what Sim has to say. If you read his essays, there really are self evident truths about women therein. I think where he lost people and became labelled a mysognist was when he started using words like "Light" and "Reason" to describe men and male thought and used negatives to describe women and female thought. It just became over the top... a one sided analysis that no matter how incisive was still one sided. His critiques of women were often perfectly well reasoned.. but his critiques of men were not nearly as well developed.

And let me just say that even writing this post it crossed my mind what people would think. Any time I was about to write "I agree with him on such and such" I had this little voice telling me bronty would be labelled a woman hater. When the truth is anything but. grin.gif I respect the hell out of him for stating his views so publicly, and at the expense of his book's circulation... even if I don't agree with the extremity of his viewpoint.

Back to Cerebus 300, what happens in those white pages? Is he drawn down to hell instead of heaven with all his friends? And why in his Rabbi identity? And what was the whole waiting for Shem about that took 10 issues of negotiations? And Cloning?? Who was Shems mother too? Jaka, Joanne, or some later woman who looked like Jaka?

There have been many instances where Cerebus has been told, without question, that he must not go to the light, that God isn't there. Cerebus was specifically told this in Cerebus 289/290.

He was fooled by the images of his former friends and associates, who knows if they were really there or just illusions to entice him into the light. It was only when he started to think about things that it wouldn't make sense for Rick to be there and he realized that he was turning his back on God... but by then... it was too late... by embracing the light and not the dark he lost his chance at true happiness with God.

In truth, he died alone and unmourned.

And the "something fell" which echoed thru the entire story is a foreshadowing of Cerebus' own fatal fall (from his bed) and the tragic end of his spirit.

Rabbi was a heroic identity that Cerebus related to... the "heroic spiritual leader ascending to his place in heaven". In truth, the spirit is supposed to go to God naked and alone... not clothed and in the embrace of others.

As for Shep-Shep or Sheshep, Cerebus desperately wanted the chance to see and bond with his son one last time. Unlike Cerebus, who was distracted and convinced not to go home by Jaka and thus missed the chance to say goodbye to his father - Dave has said that he places great value on the relationship between a father and a son - Sheshep should have the chance (at least in Cerebus' mind) to see his father before he dies.

Sheshep's mother was the "New Joanne", the woman that looked a lot like Jaka that Cerebus married at the end of Latter Days Volume 1.

As for the cloning, that's something I don't understand completely, other than it was a shocking and revolting sequence to show just how insane the world (and his son) had become since Cerebus had become a shut in.

Kev

Thanks Bronty. As Cerebus has been slowly drawing to a close and Peter has been discussing the convention and the future with Dave I've had a lot of time to sit back and reflect on Cerebus the work.

I've also been trying to understand just exactly what Dave has been saying. I've always found his essays compelling and his perspective unique... but it's been odd watching those essays so polarize the people in the comics community. It's also odd to watch as a guy who shuns technology is easily villainized on the internet for holding to his perspective. Sure, he's written stuff that makes me wince, but he's written much more that has given me pause to reflect on the world around me.

But ultimately, what it comes down to is this. Agree or disagree, you don't villify the man for taking a stand on what he believes to be right. Debate is one thing, but slander is something completely different. Just by voicing his opinions he has been attacked repeatedly... you see it all over the net... "Dave is crazy"... "Dave is going to kill himself"... and all of this because he disagrees with the direction that the world is going in and because he has embraced religion?

It's no wonder that the man seems to have developed a persecution complex. He doesn't really think that anyone cares about the work he's accomplished. Sad.

I think I'll write that letter to Wilfrid Laurier University.

Kev

There have been many instances where Cerebus has been told, without question, that he must not go to the light, that God isn't there. Cerebus was specifically told this in Cerebus 289/290.

He was fooled by the images of his former friends and associates, who knows if they were really there or just illusions to entice him into the light. It was only when he started to think about things that it wouldn't make sense for Rick to be there and he realized that he was turning his back on God... but by then... it was too late... by embracing the light and not the dark he lost his chance at true happiness with God.

In truth, he died alone and unmourned.

And the "something fell" which echoed thru the entire story is a foreshadowing of Cerebus' own fatal fall (from his bed) and the tragic end of his spirit.

Rabbi was a heroic identity that Cerebus related to... the "heroic spiritual leader ascending to his place in heaven". In truth, the spirit is supposed to go to God naked and alone... not clothed and in the embrace of others.

As for Shep-Shep or Sheshep, Cerebus desperately wanted the chance to see and bond with his son one last time. Unlike Cerebus, who was distracted and convinced not to go home by Jaka and thus missed the chance to say goodbye to his father - Dave has said that he places great value on the relationship between a father and a son - Sheshep should have the chance (at least in Cerebus' mind) to see his father before he dies.

Sheshep's mother was the "New Joanne", the woman that looked a lot like Jaka that Cerebus married at the end of Latter Days Volume 1.

As for the cloning, that's something I don't understand completely, other than it was a shocking and revolting sequence to show just how insane the world (and his son) had become since Cerebus had become a shut in.

Kev

you figured all that out on your own? jeeez, what book have I been reading for 27 years??? Makes sense. I remember the Something Fell line from a long time ago..... good point. But I was disappointed in the actual death. I pictured him all alone, dying in a chair somewhere. I couldnt get why the image of RICK and the "?"..... very observant. I thought the half man half cat and the reference to the coming of Muslims was just his way of placing the Cerebus story in our world. The cloned baby was the model for the Sphinx, but, most of Cerebus' world seems more like the Late Middle Ages than the BCE.

I got the feeling his son would kill Cerebus when it seemed that he would finally arrive in #300, not a few issues earlier.

Thanks Bronty. As Cerebus has been slowly drawing to a close and Peter has been discussing the convention and the future with Dave I've had a lot of time to sit back and reflect on Cerebus the work.

I've also been trying to understand just exactly what Dave has been saying. I've always found his essays compelling and his perspective unique... but it's been odd watching those essays so polarize the people in the comics community. It's also odd to watch as a guy who shuns technology is easily villainized on the internet for holding to his perspective. Sure, he's written stuff that makes me wince, but he's written much more that has given me pause to reflect on the world around me.

But ultimately, what it comes down to is this. Agree or disagree, you don't villify the man for taking a stand on what he believes to be right. Debate is one thing, but slander is something completely different. Just by voicing his opinions he has been attacked repeatedly... you see it all over the net... "Dave is crazy"... "Dave is going to kill himself"... and all of this because he disagrees with the direction that the world is going in and because he has embraced religion?

It's no wonder that the man seems to have developed a persecution complex. He doesn't really think that anyone cares about the work he's accomplished. Sad.

I think I'll write that letter to Wilfrid Laurier University.

Kev

I dont vilify him, I dont think I do. I read his essays and I become disappointed. He so clever and incisive, but so far OUT THERE. He loses me every time becauses he is just too damn closed minded: we are wrong, he is right. The world isnt falling apart because women are entering the workplace etc, or because society has overcompensated for 40 years after centuries of unfair treatment. The old world that conservatives pine for is gone. What we have is far better, and, far worse at the same time. BUT IT JUST IS. Its the sum of billions of peoples wants and choices. Just as it always was. 10% good people (really righteous people) 10% evil people who live to f@[!@#%^&^] you. And all the rest of us (one hopes) in between.

Im sure this is extremely simplistic compared to Daves long diatribes. I just wish Dave could enjoy his life more. He's making himself miserable. And, as an aside, if he wants to ensure his work will live on (as it deserves to) he shouldnt entrust it to some small town college officials. He should have a son -- or better yet - - a daughter! Id like to see him instruct his own daughter how to live her life as HE suggests!

He would understand so much more about this crazy existence raising and loving a child and wanting only the best for him/her.....

I cant find any of the latter day issues anywhere, not even ebay.

like 298 and 299 are no where to be found.

That's because there were only 29 copies printed. 22 were for every single comic book collector in Canada, because Canadian law says they have to buy it (and read it 893whatthe.gif) and the other 7 were for Joe Collector because he's speculating.

Joe Collector is Canadian. So no copies made it into the US.

I think Paradise has some copies of 299.

Kev

That's my point. wink.gif

On another note...

Does anyone know how common the Cerebus Zero Gold issues are?