• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TRIMMED right side of cover??? Comments welcome!

29 posts in this topic

Not sure it's trimmed as the scan isn't big enough to pass judgement. Looking at the copy posted above, the one on ebay has a whole lot more image area to the left of the price circle, and the fact that the comics code is cut could be due to the difference in centering. Looks like a little wear along the top cover edge so I'll guess the overflash hasn't been trimmed, but the absence of the pages extending beyond the cover at the top right edge is of concern.

I'd email the seller and ask for a bigger scan if you're interested...

I also believe the book is trimmed. I compared it to my copy (has marvel chipping) and it definetely appears trimmed.

Comparison to other copies isn't a true test for trimming. Go search the Heritage site for this issue and take a look at how different multiple copies of these books can be. I'm not saying the book is or isn't trimmed, just that comparing to other copies isn't the best way to tell.

Not sure it's trimmed as the scan isn't big enough to pass judgement. Looking at the copy posted above, the one on ebay has a whole lot more image area to the left of the price circle, and the fact that the comics code is cut could be due to the difference in centering. Looks like a little wear along the top cover edge so I'll guess the overflash hasn't been trimmed, but the absence of the pages extending beyond the cover at the top right edge is of concern.

I'd email the seller and ask for a bigger scan if you're interested...

i made the same observation regarding the overall centering of the cover. so it's inconclusive.

i'd ask the seller for a bigger scan AND what his return policy is if it were to come back fron CGC as having minor restoration. shocked.gif

I also believe the book is trimmed. I compared it to my copy (has marvel chipping) and it definetely appears trimmed.

I have been doing this a long, long time. I emailed the Seller and requested larger scans of the front and back cover. This almost always works, very few Sellers do not comply. So I think that will help settle this issue once and for all( I still think it is trimmed).

CAL

I am a little lost at some of the terms used on the form Although I have been collecting since 1978 mainly Fantastic four (only need 18 issues) and various marvel titles (never cgced a book). What does " pos" mean? confused.gif I have mainly been an isolationist in the hobby. crazy.gif

Hello Atomic Paul

Always welcome to discussion of comics!!!

At any rate, that Seller sent me that scan( and also of the back cover) and the scan depicts the ENTIRE comic. I just know that the comic has been trimmed on the right side. I can't prove it to you via this Forum but I can sometimes( more often than not) just take a "look" and I can spot things like that. Every once in a while I am mislead due to quality of scan/pic/whatever, but after sending in numerous Silver Age comics and getting them back as PLOD I learned real fast and had reputable sources teach me a thing or two. I must state here that the first 4 or maybe 5 comics returned from CGC were trimmed on the TOP of the covers. It is not as common for the sides to be trimmed but they are not that rare.

The very first person to inform me about Trimming was a Stamp collector inTorrence, CA. His name is Nick Scotto and he has the Comic Vendor shop.

I also discussed some of trimming with Matt Nelson and Dan G of Showcase New England.

Let's face it - if people are going to color touch, dinker w/ staples, "marry" covers, switch pages, etc - trimming is not out of the ordinary course of action for those who are trying to deceive the public. I personally don't approve of trimming UNLESS it is disclosed up front.

After some correspondence with this seller I linked on this Thread, I cannot ascertain that he knows that he has a trimmed comic.

CAL

At of curiousity what would the ff1 that I have up on this post grade at approx. the pages are an owl 9 back cover as clean and flat as front no chipping. I know the scan isnt super clear I had to reduce the quality. Thanks

Don't you guys have anything better to do? I guarantee the book is NOT trimmed, not restored in anyway. Any book sold by me as unrestored has a full money back guarantee if it comes back from CGC with the purple case (I not only refund the total ending auction amount, but also the initial shipping you paid). I sell many $100,000s a year of comics and am completely honest. If something gets by me, you get your money back, no problem.

I have several major keys listed this week, inlcuding a Showcase #4 CGC 7.5, several Spider-Man #1s, Fantastic Four #1s, a Captain Marvel nn #1 (second highest), Famous Funnies nn (second comic book ever), Tales to Astonish #27, Wow #2 (Rockford copy), Shield Wizard #1 CGC, Lone Ranger #1 CGC 4.5, etc, etc...

There is no doubt that I am as honest and scrupulous as any dealer alive, and I back it up with the money back guarantee on any book found to be restored (unless I say it is).

421332-CaptainMarvelAdventures1cgc3.jpg.f42b28be5878529a1491d99aa598549c.jpg