• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

when opening a comic store??????

31 posts in this topic

I opened my own comic store about 7 months ago in NJ. Initially it was a back-issue only kind of store - you know, what people have been talking about for a while now on these boards. Recently, many of the local comic stores including collector's comic shop (opened 1977?) closed, as well as my friends at wild pig. They didn't have gaming - which i will point out as a huge factor in why they closed.

So if back issues don't sell often - and if you don't have a clientele built up for years on your new comics - it is impossible to neglect how powerful the gaming community is. Especially from the start.

I don't see any store making it these days - as in turn any amount of profit unless they consistently do eBay and hold gaming tournaments for at least 2 out of the 3 big games (AD&D, Magic, Yugioh).

Since when do comic people have such a problem with gamers? Most of the time they are the same person!

Is obvious there are two things going on

1) New comics are not selling as well as they did

2) Gaming is quietly becoming one of the biggest hobbies in the world

Exclusive/specialty stores are an ancient thing. Much like wal-mart, target and other "get everything here" places, the same thing is going on for hobbies. Only not many people have went into that field, because they don't have the knowledge of so many different things. The most successful of these places is probably Toy wiz (owned by wizard magazine.) But i dont think they carry any back issues of comics.

To finally update my initial post 7 months ago, i will say im doing very well. Between selling back issues of comics, records, cds, toys, videogames and lastly the gaming hobbies it seems i'm the hobby version of wal-mart. Just on a .000001% scale.

The best thing i went into was gaming. Comics, although they take up a good portion of my store are of little interest. Nobody comes in off the street who collects comics anymore. Maybe once or twice a week i get someone in who actually flips through the comics for maybe 30 seconds. Usually its a housewife looking for a $1 batman or superman comic for their son - which I'm fine with.

So for right now ill leave this post like it is, and ask again why is there so much hate at gamers?

So for right now ill leave this post like it is, and ask again why is there so much hate at gamers?

From my experience, I avoid comic shops during gaming tourneys because they're so damn noisy. Yelling, screaming, dancing around...seriously, I've been in quieter sports bars on Superbowl Sunday.

Since when do comic people have such a problem with gamers? Most of the time they are the same person!

Not around here. I never see Gamers buy comics, and vice versa. My LCS hired a person just to do Magic tournaments, etc and she knows nothing about comics. I like to hang out and chat comics with the employees, but if it's just her I make small talk, pay, and leave. Nothing against her, but there's no common ground there. The only common ground I can think of would be that both items contain great art, but the Gamers don't seem to care about the art. If I mentioned Gil Kane I'd get blank stares.

Most "comic" shops today have to appeal to several types of people in order to survive. I only know of one shop that still exists in South Florida that only does comics (and the Internet sales are crucial).

All the others have gamers, anime, statues, etc. I'm cool with it as long as the comic part of the business is there and they are nice people...i'll still shop there.

I like the statues too so that's a nice match for me. I'm not into the gaming stuff but have no hate for them at all. It's all good!

Being a comic guy, the gaming tables annoy me, but I understand a business needs the income....so be it.

As others have stated, I'll just leave if it's not to my liking.

That reminds of those annoying chess/domino players in the park. Can't have a decent game of Frisbee without messing up their gameboards! Sheesh!

:jokealert:

My LCS is small + when the gamers come in on Friday afternoons they completely take over the place. They are loud + obnoxious + insure my stay there will be brief. As others have said, I recognize the economic necessity that gaming is to the modern comic store. And sometimes those gamers are also into comics or get into comics while they are there and THAT can only be a good thing for our hobby.

Since when do comic people have such a problem with gamers?

No hatred towards gamers on my part, I just wish that they had their own place. It has been my experience that they tend to be loud and obnoxious, sometimes downright rude (not to mention that their diet consists of caffeinated beverages, Pringles, and beef jerky. A lcs in Panama City Beach actually sells junk food to cater to them). Not the sort of environment to browse and read comics.

I work in a comic shop one day a week, and honestly the gaming tournaments he has keep him in business. (That being said, the shop I have my pull box at has been open longer and has a large enough following to not rely on MTG.)

It has been my experience that they tend to be loud and obnoxious, sometimes downright rude (not to mention that their diet consists of caffeinated beverages, Pringles, and beef jerky.

+1 on this...the ones I have seen are exactly as you describe

One of the shops about 45 min away from my house has gaming. Its a pretty big store, what they did was take half the store and build a new release wall for the comics. Built into the wall is a door that you can open and walk into the other side of the room and that is where they have all their gaming tables and stuff.