• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Micro trimming - How is CGC detecting it ?

57 posts in this topic

I did talk to Steve Borock at a dinner about this very thing.When the paper is trimmed the outer edge of the paper will be whiter than the rest of the paper,there is a significant change in contrast.

Although that applies to all trimmed books and would be one of the standard signs that CGC were looking for prior to the Ewert event.

Actually, this is one of the weakest ways to detect a trim.

If a book has toning around the perimeter of the page that penetrates in further than the amount that was trimmed off... guess what? The new cut edge will be toned too -- it won't be white.

Mr Z,

I agree with you. This weekend, as a test, I trimmed one of my old readers and the edge was the same color as the the rest of the paper. Of course, I did not have a microscope to inspect the paper fibers like CGC does!

I did talk to Steve Borock at a dinner about this very thing.When the paper is trimmed the outer edge of the paper will be whiter than the rest of the paper,there is a significant change in contrast.

Although that applies to all trimmed books and would be one of the standard signs that CGC were looking for prior to the Ewert event.

Actually, this is one of the weakest ways to detect a trim.

If a book has toning around the perimeter of the page that penetrates in further than the amount that was trimmed off... guess what? The new cut edge will be toned too -- it won't be white.

Mr Z,

I agree with you. This weekend, as a test, I trimmed one of my old readers and the edge was the same color as the the rest of the paper. Of course, I did not have a microscope to inspect the paper fibers like CGC does!

I don't think its the fibers they are looking at.

After all the micro trimming came out and CGC stated they could detect it; didn't Dad and Son show a Tomahawk he trimmed that got past CGC using a micro trimming technique? I remember him showing the book with the sliver of paper next to it and then the book in a blue label.

Yes, but I'm not sure if that qualified as "trimming" per se. If I recall correctly he randomly sliced a sliver off a book, but it wasn't done to improve the grade.

CGC is not infallible... trimming will and does sneak through. It's the hardest form of alteration to detect. I'd like to think that they catch the vast majority of it though.

I'm not seeing how that got by CGC, if it even did. It looks like I can see the indent where the trimming begins in the scan.

I was going to say the same exact thing. How could CGC have missed that? hm

I honestly think they are too busy to look for trimming on every book.

Someone using the same tools as ewert wont be detected without before and after scans.

I would imagine that ewrt was not the first and very far from the last.

"indent" may not be the correct word. Nonetheless, there does appear to be a soft "curve" inward on the cover.

Given the evidence, it is disturbing that that book is in a blue label.

Oh, and by the way, IBTL

With the comparison scans, there's no mistaking it's trimmed.

I don't know if it's as clear cut to say this kind of thing could be spotted by looking at a scan alone.

I've seen that optical illusion before with untrimmed books clinging to the well in certain spots. On certain things, the blue label has to count for something.

You guys are failing to take into the account the character of the person who offered this little bit up. He had an axe to grind with CGC, the boards, several of the board members and posted this as part of his FDQ as he went out in flames. I'm not saying CGC didn't miss the trimming on the book, but take into account the trustworthiness of the messenger.

And yes, I remember that Hammer helped break the Jason Ewert scandal. Apples and oranges if you ask me.

I don't know if it's as clear cut to say this kind of thing could be spotted by looking at a scan alone.

It's all in the equipment. Trimming and pressing are readily identifiable by scans, especially while wearing a tin foil helmet.

e64kz4.jpg

rl9ki1.jpg

:o Are you frigging kidding ! Look at the indent. How did that slip through ? Makes you wonder how many other trim jobs have slipped through :eek:

That is just unreal! I can easily see the trim in the slab as there appears to be a slight slope from a little below the center of the right edge downward. Of course, it's easy to see once you see where it was trimmed above.

I'm telling you...this stuff scares me about CGC's abilities to detect for such alterations. :o

Oh, IBTL!