• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re: one small step in the comic hobby, ONE GIANT LEAP IN RESTORATION DETECTION!!

39 posts in this topic

In most cases, if the job is an amatuer one, black colour touch on a front or rear cover appears when you examine the cover from the inside, as it tends to seap right through to the other side. Black ink does this very clearly. If water-colour is used, in most cases the lack of saturation in the black gives it away when comparing the CT to the original black cover inks.

I must admit that I also depend on little "tell-tale" signs when examining a book; I've used a scanner, and black light filters in the past, but its hard to bring a scanner to a con or a booth when people walk-by with merchandise they want to sell. Having a portable black-light can make a huge difference in protecting yourself agains the incidence of colour touched comics.

I believe that every collector should buy one of these, but don't rely soley on it. This is a great thing to buy for the price, but learn to use your eyes. It will not pick up everything. I only use a black light or a microscope to confirm what I am already sure of or to put to rest suspicions that I might have about a comic.

Borock! You're a Head?

Get OUT! (best Elaine Benes voice)

92 shows...First 7.11.81 at Alpine. Last 7.9.95 at Soldier Field.

Best...Have to go with 4.14.88 Rosemont

Jack Straw

West L. A

Mama Tried> Big River

Althea

Masterpiece

Bird Song

Promised Land

2: Box Of Rain

Iko Iko

Estimated> Eyes> Drumz> Wheel> Gimme Some Lovin> Black Peter> Throwing Stones> NFA

E: Black Muddy River

the second set jam was amazing, just amazing.

The Other Ones were pretty good at MCI last month.

For that Alpine show, I was somewhere in the reserved section, I don't remember where. Sometimes I would get reserved and sometimes lawn, either way was fun. Unless it rained, then the lawn sucked.

But there was no better outdoor place to see them then Red Rocks. Magnificent.

I'd feel like a insufficiently_thoughtful_person if i was looking at a book at a show and pulled a black light out,people would stare,the dealer would think i was a knucklehead.I usually only buy from dealers i know personally,and i know if there was anything wrong with a book (and there has) i could return it for a refund.I have even spotted professional color touches,The way to tell is, hold the book to the light,and look it over extremly carefully..does all the color on the comic match? if you see a spot that's a different shad of red,black,blue ect from the rest of the color on the book... that is a color touch!

I understand your point, but in my earlier example, I was referring more to the advantages to a dealer. At some point, every collector ought to try setting up at a show. I've been doing a local antique market for over 2 months now (ever 2nd Sunday) and although sales aren't anything to brag about, the pull has been quite good. But the amazing part is the amount of books that I've been buying off of collectors who no longer want to hang on to their material. Fantastic finds, at extremely good prices!

But whether or not you are a dealer or a comic collector, at some point, most of us will be approached with something which we will be interested in, and will not want to pass the opportunity. In an ideal world, you would buy our books slabbed, or from a reputable dealer. But how does any collector pass the opportunity to pick up a raw copy of say, Suspense Comics 3, that came from a someones attic, and has been there for the past 40 years? Having a black light detector can go a long way to preventing an akward situation between a seller and buyer. The idea is either to add the book to your own collection, or trying to make a profit by flipping the book. Making an informed decision on either scenario can only be made if you've had experience in detecting certain forms of restoration (ie having a trained eye (which in most cases should still be backed-up with proven methods) or have a restoration detection tool like this black light.

Most people who have been in the business for more than 5-6 years have their own way of ridding suspicion on a book. But a great many collectors still rely on trust whenever buying from a stranger, but as the song goes "times are gone for honest men, and sometimes, far too long for snakes." I do concur with Steve on all levels of his statement, including his comment that this UV restoration detector is a good thing to have mainly because its affordable -- and I would further add, its portable, its practical, and it works. Like Steve, I would not go as far to say that its going to reveal all the restoration a book contains. Things like trimming, cleaning agents, and other forms of restoration are still a grey area for most people, and really ought to be left with the experts. My experience is that if a comic has colour touch, then its is a small step to making an informed choice about whether it is a book worth purchasing.

"92 shows...First 7.11.81 at Alpine. Last 7.9.95 at Soldier Field."

My 1st 6-17-76 Capitol theatre and last 6-25-95 RFK ,D.C.

Don't know how many I have seen but a guess is a little over 200, including many New Year Eve's and not to mention about 75 Jerry shows....... grin.gif

Doug schmell has seen over 300, he is crazy! crazy.gif

Best shows are too many to list but the Hampton shows where they played as the Warlocks REALLY rocked. smile.gif

• Administrator

Hi-jacking of threads is contrary to board guidelines. This is your first warning, after that, I'll have to move you to the penalty bo...

Erm.... ok. Wait. This is a bad idea. Just kidding!

(backing away slowly)

(laughing)

Arch

tongue.gifwink.gifgrin.giftongue.gif

Was at that RFK show. VERY VERY hot. Long version of Terrapin in the second set.

Good RFK memory - 94 show, on the floor, went in VERY early because the vending scene outside sucked. About two feet from the stage. Traffic opened, with nobody in the building. Jerry came out and just jammed for about 45 minutes.

Which New Year's Eve shows? very jealous!

Did see the JGB at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago. Seated about 1200.