• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New pedigree - Suscha News

231 posts in this topic

Haven't been on the boards much lately, so I'm surprised not to see a thread about this--looks like CGC has recognized a new pedigree discovered by Metropolis, the "Suscha News" pedigree.

http://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?NewsletterNewsArticleID=960

The story sounds a lot like that collection Sheldon of Heroes found this year where the original owner bought many of the books from a distributor. Anyone seen some impressive books in this collection yet? The most impressive ones I saw currently on the ComicLink site were Avengers 13 CGC 9.8 and Spidey 35 and 37 CGC 9.6, all tough books in those grades, but nothing to die for. Not seeing yet why this one's a pedigree. (shrug)

Vincent was telling me about this collection in NYC a few weeks ago. It's exclusively a Metro find.

Wonder if that Avengers #13 is a precursor of things to come or one of the better books?

Sorry but mid 60's to 1976 really shouldn't be a pedigree. Too small a time frame from a period of time when there were a lot of people buying.

Some or all of the early Marvel keys are in there, but they were bought second-hand and are low grade. It appears to be around 1963 on up which would imply most or all of the Spidey run unless he wasn't buying every issue. The story at the link says he was buying books before 1963 but they weren't superhero stuff.

A number of them are listed in Metro's auction that starts tomorrow. A lot of the the issues are in the 9.0 range but there are a few nice ones like an Incredible Hulk 181 9.8. There are only 65 or so issues listed in the auction and hte article says there are thousands.

Thanks for posting. This is one aspect of CGC business that I don't necessarily agree with. It's a bit self serving to identify and create new pedigree's that are only given significance because of CGC. Meaning, it should be put to a vote among all key collectors (perhaps the OSPG advisors) to determine a pedigree...not just CGC. How was the Mile High pedigree established?

To me, it seems to just be aimed at identifying these so called "pedigree" books so they have greater value than non ped books.

There have been a few pedigree's that just make no sense (to me). If a pedigree is made up of some books in the collection that were bought as back issues that doesn't qualify to me as a pedigree (to me). These are supposed to be OO books that were amassed over a long period of time. Or, am I wrong about that?

Plus, it seems so easy to me for a company like Metro to co-create a so called pedigree of comics that they could easily own in stock and then create some story about it being owned by one person :blahblah: ...I just think it's a load of BS. Sorry to be so harsh about it maybe i'm a bit cranky tonight. :cry:

Plus, it seems so easy to me for a company like Metro to co-create a so called pedigree of comics that they could easily own in stock and then create some story about it being owned by one person

This could be the case for any pedigree ever recognized--I suppose you're mostly ranting about the idea of a pedigree altogether.

There have been a few pedigree's that just make no sense (to me). If a pedigree is made up of some books in the collection that were bought as back issues that doesn't qualify to me as a pedigree (to me).

Which pedigrees are these?

Plus, it seems so easy to me for a company like Metro to co-create a so called pedigree of comics that they could easily own in stock and then create some story about it being owned by one person

This could be the case for any pedigree ever recognized--I suppose you're mostly ranting about the idea of a pedigree altogether.

That is true and I don't mean to imply that Metro is behind some conspiracy...but these grand stories just keeping popping up and it's metro 99% of the time. They have some amazing luck in this business.

Yep i'm just ranting about the idea of this new pedigree if some of the books are not OO as was mentioned earlier on the lower grade hero stuff. And, that CGC seems to be the deciding factor on establishing a pedigree and I'm not so sure that should be done without an outside panel of experts in our hobby to determine. I'm not sure how other pedigree's were established pre-CGC...i'd love to know if someone here knows.

There have been a few pedigree's that just make no sense (to me). If a pedigree is made up of some books in the collection that were bought as back issues that doesn't qualify to me as a pedigree (to me).

Virtually every pedigree has back-buying straight back to Mile High. Usually if the vast majority of the collection is bought off the stands then the back-bought issues are recognized as well.

Pedigrees are just part of the fun of collecting. They mean nothing to some people and others really enjoy having books with known provenance. I think CGC is fine as an arbiter of what qualifies as a pedigree. I understand that plenty of people think they have a pedigree quality collection but few actually get it. Clink and Metro are perfectly suited to get collections that qualify as pedigrees. You don't have to look far on the internet for CLink and Metro is consistently in the news.

AFAIK, this is the first new Pedigree since the Rocky Mountains and those received similar criticism about quality of keys and the age of the collection.

CGC seems to be the deciding factor on establishing a pedigree and I'm not so sure that should be done without an outside panel of experts in our hobby to determine. I'm not sure how other pedigree's were established pre-CGC...i'd love to know if someone here knows.

Nobody establishes pedigrees, and CGC's opinion is their own. If people keep talking about a pedigree because there's something memorable about it, it gets popular, talked about, and remembered, that's as much establishment as we've got.

I forget the name of the couple that have a pedigree...What is the name?

I recall someone telling me that story on that pedigree and it didn't seem to be significant enough of a collection to warrant a pedigree.

As for the pedigree that is made of up some books not OO but purchased as back issues...i'm just reacting to what someone else wrote about the earlier hero silver age books are in lower grades and were most likely bought as back issues. That to me isn't really a pedigree. But if there is no proof of that it is just speculation.

I should also add that I really defer to you guys as experts on pedigree collections. But what little I know about the concept...this seems to bother me a little. Not sure why I guess.

I forget the name of the couple that have a pedigree...What is the name?

Joe and Nadia Mannarino?

http://www.allstarauc.com/mannarinocollection.htm

It's not recognized as a pedigree.

This useful blurb from the pedigree book site explains the difference:

"Often mistaken for pedigreed collections, provenances can resemble them save one factor: they were accumulated second-hand, thus breaking one of the cardinal rules of pedigrees. Examples would be the Nicolas Cage Collection, the Olshevsky Collection, the Dallas Stephens Collection, and the Joe and Nadia Mannarino Collection. Usually they represent impressive, high grade runs of titles from he Golden or Silver Age, or the person who owns them is special in some way.

Sometimes a provenance can contain pedigrees within it, as the Olshevsky collection did with the Chicago pedigree. The Nic Cage collection was assembled late enough to contain examples of many pedigrees, such as Mile High, Larson, and Rockford."

http://comicbookpedigrees.com/pedigrees.htm#PROVIDENCES