• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New pedigree - Suscha News

231 posts in this topic

Some of the Church books were bought second hand. Should that disqualify arguably the greatest pedigree collection ever found?

Not sure who would argue with you about that one!

Yeah, he's really going out on a limb with that one lol

The most famous pedigree I know of where the original owner back-bought the most issues is Curator. In addition to having perhaps the best-preserved Marvel and DC comics ever discovered, the original owner was an avid collector and convention attender who back-bought an extensive Golden Age collection. I don't even know if CGC knew that when they graded the Curator books though, I'm not sure Brulato or Hauser ever told them because they didn't have them and they were never presented to CGC as part of a pedigree.

Overstreet's collection seems similar to this. Anyone remember why CGC didn't grant his books pedigree status? I think I knew at one time but I can't remember now. I know the absolutely jaw-dropping Slobodian books didn't get CGC's blessing at least in part because some of the ones he said he bought off the stands came up restored, which I presume shattered his credibility.

Some of the Church books were bought second hand. Should that disqualify arguably the greatest pedigree collection ever found?

I've been here long enough to know that if I hadn't used that qualifier, someone would've argued against it doh!

I've been here long enough to know that if I hadn't used that qualifier, someone would've argued against it doh!

I argue that you're wrong. (tsk):insane:

True. I forgot where I was (comics general, where water might not be wet.)

There have been a few pedigree's that just make no sense (to me). If a pedigree is made up of some books in the collection that were bought as back issues that doesn't qualify to me as a pedigree (to me).

Which pedigrees are these?

I forget the name of the couple that have a pedigree...What is the name?

Joe and Nadia Mannarino?

http://www.allstarauc.com/mannarinocollection.htm

It's not recognized as a pedigree.

This useful blurb from the pedigree book site explains the difference:

"Often mistaken for pedigreed collections, provenances can resemble them save one factor: they were accumulated second-hand, thus breaking one of the cardinal rules of pedigrees. Examples would be the Nicolas Cage Collection, the Olshevsky Collection, the Dallas Stephens Collection, and the Joe and Nadia Mannarino Collection. Usually they represent impressive, high grade runs of titles from he Golden or Silver Age, or the person who owns them is special in some way.

Sometimes a provenance can contain pedigrees within it, as the Olshevsky collection did with the Chicago pedigree. The Nic Cage collection was assembled late enough to contain examples of many pedigrees, such as Mile High, Larson, and Rockford."

http://comicbookpedigrees.com/pedigrees.htm#PROVIDENCES

Yes! Joe and Nadia but thanks for explaining the difference there. (thumbs u

maybe it should disqualify the ones he bought secondhand?

it starts sounding like a "collection" with a bunch of secondhand books in there.

you know, like the collections a lot of us here have.

should every OO collection of every baby boomer who bought comics from the 60's through the 70's count as a pedigree?

i'm suspicious and a bit cynical about these pedigrees. mile highI/church I can go for, some of the GA stuff, even some of them lasting into the 60's, but if you're putting together this pedigree during the era of comic collecting, it sounds like a collection to me

CGC seems to be the deciding factor on establishing a pedigree and I'm not so sure that should be done without an outside panel of experts in our hobby to determine. I'm not sure how other pedigree's were established pre-CGC...i'd love to know if someone here knows.

Nobody establishes pedigrees, and CGC's opinion is their own. If people keep talking about a pedigree because there's something memorable about it, it gets popular, talked about, and remembered, that's as much establishment as we've got.

true, but CGC effectively decides these things as far as "the market" is concerned (of course, it may only be a small subportion of "the market" that actually cares). like stan lee's signature being a scribble unless it has been authenticated by a Sig Series witness and enslabulated in a CGC case. when they start putting "pedigree" on the slabs, some portion of the slab buying market will decide these are worth a premium.

I would have thought Metropolis would have selected a better name than Suscha News. It is not a cool name at all. Just as with the title of a movie, a carefully chosen name is important. Doesn't Metropolis recognize this simple marketing fact ? I felt the same way about the Edenwald pedigree (or was it a collection), bad name. Rocky Mountain, Mile High, Green River, the name alone makes me want to have a copy. I;m not sure about anyone else but Suscha News doesn't do it for me. I have no desire to have a copy.

I would have thought Metropolis would have selected a better name than Suscha News. It is not a cool name at all. Just as with the title of a movie, a carefully chosen name is important. Doesn't Metropolis recognize this simple marketing fact ? I felt the same way about the Edenwald pedigree (or was it a collection), bad name. Rocky Mountain, Mile High, Green River, the name alone makes me want to have a copy. I;m not sure about anyone else but Suscha News doesn't do it for me. I have no desire to have a copy.

+1 Though it could have been worse. They could've called it the Sheboygan collection. Now that name just reeks of class :)

but if you're putting together this pedigree during the era of comic collecting, it sounds like a collection to me

+1

Let's stop taking a dump on this pedigree before we've seen what's in it. :eyeroll: You guys did this to the guy who started the thread saying how nice Mound City was before we knew the X-Men 1 CGC 9.4, Avengers 1 CGC 9.4, and AF15 CGC 8.0 were in it, and CGC didn't even give that one the nod.

Zurzolo claims it's better than Oakland, but I don't even know what's in that one by comparison, I rarely see any for sale other than the odd late Silver issue.

but if you're putting together this pedigree during the era of comic collecting, it sounds like a collection to me

+1

Let's stop taking a dump on this pedigree before we've seen what's in it. :eyeroll: You guys did this to the guy who started the thread saying how nice Mound City was before we knew the X-Men 1 CGC 9.4, Avengers 1 CGC 9.4, and AF15 CGC 8.0 were in it, and CGC didn't even give that one the nod.

Zurzolo claims it's better than Oakland, but I don't even know what's in that one by comparison, I rarely see any for sale other than the odd late Silver issue.

The Mound City books were not bought off the newsstand Plus, they were over graded. I'm still amazed at some of the one that were pressed and came back higher. Especially the X-Men #1. Didn't that get squished to a 9.6? ...and an Avengers 2 or such that went from a 7.0 to a 9.4, I believe?

Most Oaklands I have seen are Bronze books.

Bizarre angle. Suscha News is the name of the distributor they were bought from, correct? Naming them after the distributor is a direct hint at the reason the books would be in such great shape. I have no idea what "Suscha" is other than the name of the company, possibly it's the owner of the distributor's name. Sounds vaguely Russian or Eastern European...it's exotic, I find it compelling. The word has nice consonance, "soo-sha"