• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel chipping question?

78 posts in this topic

If it's not trimmed, I will guess 8.5+++

Exactly my guess. Both parts of it.

That's what I would guess as well.

(thumbs u

I'd trim it just to clean it up a bit.

:jokealert:

Do you think it is trimmed? If so, what makes you think that?

I will be VERY upset if it comes back trimmed!

I don't *think* it's trimmed but it's tough to say without having the book in hand.

Is that a chip on the bottom of the spine of just a color rub?

Color rub. It's pretty bad considering the overall condition of the book. If that corner was as nice as the others, this book would be REALLY nice. Then again, if that corner was nice, i probably wouldnt have been able to afford the book back then. I can still remember the terror i felt giving my credit card # when i paid for the book! lol Back then, i dont think i had ever spent more than $300 on a single book and this was nearly 10x's that!

Like i said, i dont have experience with trimming. Are there telltale signs that i can look for?

I don't *think* it's trimmed but it's tough to say without having the book in hand.

I agree. You can't tell from a small picture like that.

It's a nice book.

I agree. You can't tell from a small picture like that.

It's a nice book.

Thanks! I'll try to get some better pics of the sides so maybe you guys can give me a more definitive opinion if it's been trimmed.

Maybe i'll try and scan it at my buddies house. Can you even scan a book still in a fortress or will it distort it too much?

nice looking book and without a better picture or having it in hands, I will say you are ok, the book is off center vertically compared to some X-men #1.

Some X-men#1 I observed don't have the top of Cyclop head cut off like yours but most don't have the white area under Magneto's cape either.

I also compared the distance and position of Iceman and taking in all the accounts I mentioned, your book might be ok...yup sounded so not definitely but if it was my book, I would sleep a little better now (thumbs u

Nick, you really can't tell trimming that way. It all depends on how the pages and cover stack up. The way the artwork is trimmed is always going to differ from one book to another.

Thanks! I think! lol

There's so many dang variations on the cover it's hard to tell. Sometimes, i'll pull up a bunch of windows off of Comiclink to compare mine and try and see if it's trimmed. It "seems" like it's ok but who the heck knows until i slab it???

There has definitely been a few nights where i freaked myself out thinking it is trimmed after looking at other scans. The way the cover hangs over the pages on all edges though makes me fairly confident it hasnt been trimmed.

I have all the other X-men under #67(except for #39) and it seems to be the exact same size as my #2 and #3 but thats hardly an exact science either. I just sent in my #2 and 6 as part of my "3 free" coupon and wanted to wait until i got those back before sending this in but i think i might just bite the bullet and fill out the forms tonight and mail it in tomorrow.

I think the chips will still have to be treated as small tears. 4 - 5 small tears and a color rub, CGC does not like loss of color. I'm thinking 7.5/8.0 . Even if you get a 7.5 that is worth your 3,000 investment. Send it in and get it over with ! Please make sure to post the results. Nice book ! Nice holder ! Those holders (Fortress ?)

are valuable. Collectors are looking for them.

Really?!? Good to know!

I've been out of the hobby for about 8 years and didnt see them around anymore. The guy at my LCS kinda laughed when i asked about them a few weeks ago and said "noone uses those anymore!".

I've got 5 of them that will all probably be empty soon since all the books in them are CGC worthy except maybe 1.

Thanks! I think! lol

There's so many dang variations on the cover it's hard to tell. Sometimes, i'll pull up a bunch of windows off of Comiclink to compare mine and try and see if it's trimmed. It "seems" like it's ok but who the heck knows until i slab it???

There has definitely been a few nights where i freaked myself out thinking it is trimmed after looking at other scans. The way the cover hangs over the pages on all edges though makes me fairly confident it hasnt been trimmed.

I have all the other X-men under #67(except for #39) and it seems to be the exact same size as my #2 and #3 but thats hardly an exact science either. I just sent in my #2 and 6 as part of my "3 free" coupon and wanted to wait until i got those back before sending this in but i think i might just bite the bullet and fill out the forms tonight and mail it in tomorrow.

You absolutely cannot tell if a book is trimmed by comparing size to another book.

You can have 10 identical issues all stacked on top of each other and they can all differ in size. These books were printed as throwaway magazines so print quality wasn't very high.

The only way to tell if a book is trimmed is by examining the edges up close.

Thanks! I think! lol

You absolutely cannot tell if a book is trimmed by comparing size to another book.

You can have 10 identical issues all stacked on top of each other and they can all differ in size. These books were printed as throwaway magazines so print quality wasn't very high.

The only way to tell if a book is trimmed is by examining the edges up close.

+1

send that bad boy in to CGC ASAP

Yeah, i think you are right! Unfortunately, post office is closed tomorrow.

Lemme ask you CGC vets something. Is the walkthru service actually same day and does CGC grade on weekends? If i send it next day air, how many days before they actually mail it back to me?

I know it's stupid, but i dont want it out of my possession any longer than it has to be. If they dont grade on weekends, i figure i'll send it in on Monday and hope to get it back by the end of the week or hopefully next Monday at the latest.

Mail it out via Priority Mail on Saturday. CGC will get it on Monday. It should be on the way back to you on Tuesday or Wednesday. You'd probably get it back in your hands by the end of the week. Worst case the next Monday if the mail takes a little longer.

Mail it out via Priority Mail on Saturday. CGC will get it on Monday. It should be on the way back to you on Tuesday or Wednesday. You'd probably get it back in your hands by the end of the week. Worst case the next Monday if the mail takes a little longer.

I would NOT use USPS for a book like this. I would use a two day Fedex, mailing it on Monday. They get it and grade it on Wednesday, probably shipping it Wednesday also. Ask them to ship it back to you using a two day Fedex. You'll have it on Friday.

I've never, ever, had a problem with USPS. I've had numerous problems with FedEx.

I wouldn't mail a brick in a box full of pillows with FedEx.