• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel chipping question?

78 posts in this topic

Hey guys, i have a question for you, how much does some minor Marvel chipping affect the grade of a comic book?

I have a X-Men #1 that i bought from Comiclink in 1999. It's a pretty nice copy and was sold as NM-. I'd say that without any Marvel chipping, it's a solid 9.0-9.2 but the top edge has about 4-5 1/4 inch spots of Marvel chipping.

Assuming that it was say a 9.0 without the chipping, about how much will the chipping lower the grade if i get it CGC'd? Does it knock a 9.0 down to an 8.0 or even lower?

Sorry, no pics because i just found this message board and dont have any pics uploaded to my work computer. If you guys could just give me a rough estimate though, i'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

That's good to hear! It's a pretty nice copy but not a monster like some of the one's i've seen that people have on the registry here. For what i paid for it back then, any grade would still put me ahead pretty much but i'd like to have at least an 8.0.

Ok, here are some pics of the chipping. My camera skills are poor at best so they aren't great but hopefully good enough for you guys to give me an idea about how much it will knock down the overall grade.

xmen2.jpg

xmen3.jpg

xmen.jpg

I really dont want to get into a debate over what the actual grade will end up being, i'll leave that to CGC to decide. Even if i did though, i dont have the camera or skills to get a detailed enough shot of the book for people to give me an accurate opinion. Believe me, i tried taking some closeups of the entire book and they were beyond laughable.

I just wanted to get an idea about how much that extent of Marvel chipping would reduce the overall grade of a book. For arguments sake, if a book was a 9.0 without that chipping, i just wanted an idea what you think the grade would be lowered to taking the chipping into account.

I really dont want to get into a debate over what the actual grade will end up being, i'll leave that to CGC to decide. Even if i did though, i dont have the camera or skills to get a detailed enough shot of the book for people to give me an accurate opinion. Believe me, i tried taking some closeups of the entire book and they were beyond laughable.

I just wanted to get an idea about how much that extent of Marvel chipping would reduce the overall grade of a book. For arguments sake, if a book was a 9.0 without that chipping, i just wanted an idea what you think the grade would be lowered to taking the chipping into account.

On a low grade book they wouldn't affect the grade much. On a high grade book they would affect the grade more.

That's why pics of the entire book are needed.

I'll play around with my camera tonight and see if i can get some decent pics but for the life of me, i cant figure out how to get a decent closeup??? My sister-in-law is the tech person in the family and usually does this kind of stuff for me! lol Unfortunately, she's at Georgetown now and wont be back til the holidays.

Here's the beyond laughable pic i got in the 10 minutes i was at home at lunch. It'll be ZERO help but at least will show you the pathetic camera skills you are dealing with. Also, it's in a Fortress and i really dont want to take it out until I send it to CGC in a few weeks.

xmen4.jpg

I can give a decent description. The corners are all pretty sharp except the bottom left which you can see even in this crappy pic is a little worn. There are no real color breaks on the spine at all. A few dings but none that break color. Staples are in good shape and pretty tight. You can also see that the bottom right of the book has a little chipping that breaks color but nowhere near as bad as the top, no tears just color breaks. The date arrival isnt bad and shouldnt change the grade imo. Pages are either off-white or ow/w imo.

Overall, a very nice book. Like i said, it's not a monster like some on the registry but if you saw it at your LCS, you'd definitely be impressed. I'll try and get better pics tonight so you guys can hopefully give me a better idea on how the chipping will affect the grade.

On a low grade book they wouldn't affect the grade much. On a high grade book they would affect the grade more.

That's why pics of the entire book are needed.

Roy is correct here. They don't hammer chips as much on Silver-Age books for example. We need to see the back cover also. The front cover shot is too far away but it looks like there is some rubbing on the left upper corner in the green.

DR.X

Oops, forgot about the upper left corner. There is some color loss there but it's still a pretty tight, sharp corner.

I'm usually pretty decent at grading but really cant get a good feel on this book at all. I wouldn't be surprised if it's anywhere from 7.5-9.0 when i send it in. It definitely has some defects, the upper right, lower right and the chipping but the spine is in VERY good shape with no color breaks that i can see. I've started to fill out the CGC form about ten times and each time give a different value. I've gone anywhere from 2.5% of $12,500 up to $25,000.

It's times like these that i wonder why the hell i dont have a decent scanner!

If it's not trimmed, I will guess 8.5+++

DAMN!!! Don't even say that!!! lol

I'm 99% sure that the bottom or side wasn't trimmed. Every once in a while i get a tiny bit worried about the top though comparing it to scans on other sites. I have my fingers crossed that it hasn't been trimmed!

I have VERy little experience with trimming but would there still be chipping like i have if it was trimmed?

Hard telling. The sides sure are beautiful though :baiting:

Thank you!

It's definitely the pride and joy of my collection and probably 5 times as valuable as any other book i have. I'm a big X-men fan so this is definitely my most treasured book!

If it's not trimmed, I will guess 8.5+++

Exactly my guess. Both parts of it.

Do you think it is trimmed? If so, what makes you think that?

I will be VERY upset if it comes back trimmed!