• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel chipping question?

78 posts in this topic

Thanks!

You guys were very helpful! I'll put it out Saturday with USPS priority(i've also had issues with fedex and DO NOT like them!). I have saltwater reef tanks and freaking Fedex has killed more dang fish and corals than global warming with their crappy service ime!!!

I'm only a few hundred miles south of CGC so mailing it back to me should be pretty quick. Hopefully, i'll have it back slabbed about 10 days from now. Wish me luck!

I've never, ever, had a problem with USPS. I've had numerous problems with FedEx.

I wouldn't mail a brick in a box full of pillows with FedEx.

+1

FedEx employees have a really attitude too. They use contractors, whereas USPS employees are paid fairly well and tend to make careers with the USPS. I've never gotten crappy service from the USPS, but FedEx employees could seem to give a mess way more often than I would ever expect, from the delivery drivers to the supervisors I talk to when problems occur to the people who greet you in their lobby. I have come to expect going into their lobby and waiting 15 minutes for them to bother to come out to help me even if I'm the only one there.

I really, really can't stand FedEx and detest it when people send stuff to me with them. The other problem is that they tend to have one office per metropolitan area, meaning you may have to travel a bit to get to their office, whereas the USPS has at least one office per zip code. The USPS breaks my usual low expectations from an organization tied to the government, they do a good job.

Thanks!

You guys were very helpful! I'll put it out Saturday with USPS priority(i've also had issues with fedex and DO NOT like them!). I have saltwater reef tanks and freaking Fedex has killed more dang fish and corals than global warming with their crappy service ime!!!

I'm only a few hundred miles south of CGC so mailing it back to me should be pretty quick. Hopefully, i'll have it back slabbed about 10 days from now. Wish me luck!

Nice book! I think you will do fine. :wishluck:

Amazing. I've heard people swear by Fed Ex.

They treat us like kings in my area so it must be a regional thing. I prefer them to any other service because their prices are the best (compared to regular post) and they are always on time.

I can understand missing your package and having to drive to the depot though. That is a pain.

The postal service (Canada Post or USPS) are a close second for me.

Now UPS, that is a different animal. I'd avoid them like the plague. I've yet to see a less professional outfit in the delivery business.

send that bad boy in to CGC ASAP

Yeah, i think you are right! Unfortunately, post office is closed tomorrow.

Lemme ask you CGC vets something. Is the walkthru service actually same day and does CGC grade on weekends? If i send it next day air, how many days before they actually mail it back to me?

I know it's stupid, but i dont want it out of my possession any longer than it has to be. If they dont grade on weekends, i figure i'll send it in on Monday and hope to get it back by the end of the week or hopefully next Monday at the latest.

If you send it walkthrough, they will generally grade it and possibly even ship it out on the same day that they receive it. It all depends on when they receive it. If they get it in the morning or early enough it will likely be out the same day.

If you ship overnight, just be sure to call CGC and get their street address as many express services will not ship to a PO box.

I've never, ever, had a problem with USPS. I've had numerous problems with FedEx.

The only problem I have every had with Fed Ex is the design of their boxes.

They are designed with the grain or pleats going across the box, horizontally leaving it ripe for an accordian type *crunch!* which often happens. I have receive them with quite the impact on them. This is a design flaw.

When I ship I use my own boxes and packaging supplies and have never had a complaint. My last 10 or so eBay feedback have been left by people who have received shipping by Fed Ex and everybody loved the service. Packages arrived quicker than any other service I use.

what should i be looking for when i check the edges?

Hard to explain. Basically, what you don't want to see is any of the edges with every page and cover exactly flush.

The right edge will have a nice fanning of the pages up to the centerfold and then the fanning will go in the opposite direction as you work your way to the back cover.

The top and bottom edges will usually have a little bit of overhang of the cover, although not necessarily.

Marvel covers have a tendency to shrink horizontally over time and grow longitudinally making them have that overhang.

That change of shape, though, seems to be dependent on storage conditions, as I have seen really fresh, white looking books that were NOT trimmed but did not have much overhang.

It takes a bit of practice to begin to recognize what a trimmed edge looks like. They only way is really through experience.

Ok, here are some pics of the chipping. My camera skills are poor at best so they aren't great but hopefully good enough for you guys to give me an idea about how much it will knock down the overall grade.

xmen2.jpg

xmen3.jpg

xmen.jpg

I don't think I'd call this "Marvel chipping" - it looks like damage incurred from the presence of overhang along the top edge. Subtle, but distinctly different imho. :)

I looked at it VERY closely last night and in my incredibly non-expert opinion, i'd say the edges have not been trimmed. The pages definitely dont all line up so it looks unlikely that it was trimmed.

I did find a few other small problems though. The bottom has a tiny, tiny piece hanging. It's literally about the size of a grain of salt if not smaller but definitely a small little piece hanging by a thread.

The right edge also has what looks like the beginning of some more marvel chipping. Theres 2 very,very small spots where it looks like it's starting to rip/chip a little. The are very small, maybe 1/16th of an inch if even that but they do break color very slightly.

After giving it it's 1st very close inspection in about 8-9 years, i'm leaning towards 8.5 at best and hopefully an 8.0. Still avery nice book and probably the nicest Xmen 1 i've seen in person but definitely has it's problems. We'll see what CGC thinks about it next week.

+1

FedEx employees have a really attitude too. They use contractors, whereas USPS employees are paid fairly well and tend to make careers with the USPS. I've never gotten crappy service from the USPS, but FedEx employees could seem to give a mess way more often than I would ever expect, from the delivery drivers to the supervisors I talk to when problems occur to the people who greet you in their lobby. I have come to expect going into their lobby and waiting 15 minutes for them to bother to come out to help me even if I'm the only one there.

I really, really can't stand FedEx and detest it when people send stuff to me with them. The other problem is that they tend to have one office per metropolitan area, meaning you may have to travel a bit to get to their office, whereas the USPS has at least one office per zip code. The USPS breaks my usual low expectations from an organization tied to the government, they do a good job.

I rememeber when FedEx delivered me into one of the worst nightmare I have lived through. It was a serious HG-book - and they quite simply didnt give a SPOON ... need I say more?

I rememeber when FedEx delivered me into one of the worst nightmare I have lived through. It was a serious HG-book - and they quite simply didnt give a SPOON ... need I say more?

Yes. How did they give you the impression that they didn't give a SPOON?

Sorry, I didn't mean to start a discussion about Fedex. I agree with Roy that it must be a regional thing. I used to buy books from a Canadian dealer and we always used Fedex. I think they are great = they really want me to get my package and I have found all the employees to be very friendly..

I do like the USPS and I use them for smaller ticket books.

However, UPS, IMHO is the worst. Too many painful memories for me to ever consider them again.

I looked at it VERY closely last night and in my incredibly non-expert opinion, i'd say the edges have not been trimmed. The pages definitely dont all line up so it looks unlikely that it was trimmed.

I did find a few other small problems though. The bottom has a tiny, tiny piece hanging. It's literally about the size of a grain of salt if not smaller but definitely a small little piece hanging by a thread.

The right edge also has what looks like the beginning of some more marvel chipping. Theres 2 very,very small spots where it looks like it's starting to rip/chip a little. The are very small, maybe 1/16th of an inch if even that but they do break color very slightly.

After giving it it's 1st very close inspection in about 8-9 years, i'm leaning towards 8.5 at best and hopefully an 8.0. Still avery nice book and probably the nicest Xmen 1 i've seen in person but definitely has it's problems. We'll see what CGC thinks about it next week.

You better hope that piece hangs on until it gets put in the slab. Even if it's a small piece, if it falls off, it will have a big impact on the grade. :gossip:

Thats what i figured even though it is TINY. It's just barely hanging but i'll try my best to keep it attached taking it out of the Fortress and bagging it for shipping.

Maybe i'll just glue it back in place so i can get one of those beautiful purple labels for my collection! lol

When I have a piece hanging like that on a book that I'm sending in to CGC I put a little yellow sticky on the mylar with a little note about the loose piece so that it doesn't get torn off by accident.