• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel chipping question?

78 posts in this topic

They're Marvel tears until there's a piece missing.

My experience has been that they hit chipping and tearing pretty hard, especially considering they're a production defect just like nutsack creasing, cover miswraps and miscuts. An eyesore? Yes, but so are staples placed onto the front cover.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "hit hard".

On a 9.4 definitely.

On a 7.5, not so much.

It's all relative to the condition of the rest of the book, how long the tears are, how many of them, any pieces missing, etc.

Got it out of the Fortress last night,packed it up and just dropped it off at the post office. I was so nervous handling it, i forgot to take pictures of it out of the case. lol

Like i said before, the front cover definitely has its faults but man was the back cover beautiful! If the front matched the back, this would be a 9.6-9.8 book without question. Back was pretty flawless except for the bottom left corner where the rub from the front goes to the back as well.

Tough book for me to grade. Some major issues but also some great features, mainly the really nice spine and almost perfect back. I may be disappointed or ecstatic when the grade comes in but wont I be surprised if it's anywhere from a 7.5 to a 9.0.

We'll see next week when i get it back, wish me luck!

When I have a piece hanging like that on a book that I'm sending in to CGC I put a little yellow sticky on the mylar with a little note about the loose piece so that it doesn't get torn off by accident.

Roy, I like your suggestion. I have a nice low numbered Spidey with a tiny chip hanging on that I have always been afraid to send in. Did the sticky note work = it was slabbed with the chip intact ?

I forgot to ask when someone else pointed it out, would what my book has even be considered Marvel chipping or just tears?

This is the definition that circulates around the Internet. I believe it to be Overstreet's originally but the exact text is "borrowed" on many sites. This particular one is from the Heritage site:

MARVEL CHIPPING

- A bindery (trimming/ cutting) defect that results in a series of chips and tears[my emphasis] at the top, bottom, and right edges of the cover, caused when the cutting blade of an industrial paper trimmer becomes dull. It was dubbed Marvel Chipping because it can be found quite often on Marvel comics from the late '50s and early '60s but can also occur with any company's comic books from the late 1940s through the middle 1960s.

I note that it lists "chips and tears". I have run across the phrase "pre-Marvel chipping" to indicate just tears.

When I have a piece hanging like that on a book that I'm sending in to CGC I put a little yellow sticky on the mylar with a little note about the loose piece so that it doesn't get torn off by accident.

Roy, I like your suggestion. I have a nice low numbered Spidey with a tiny chip hanging on that I have always been afraid to send in. Did the sticky note work = it was slabbed with the chip intact ?

Yes. It was a pretty big book that I sent in if I remember correctly...FF #12 that graded a CGC 9.4, and the chip that was hanging was tiny but after slabbing it was still intact.

When it comes to stuff like that I won't leave it up to chance.

Amazing. I've heard people swear by Fed Ex.

They treat us like kings in my area so it must be a regional thing. I prefer them to any other service because their prices are the best (compared to regular post) and they are always on time.

I'm sure they're great if you're shipping, but if you're receiving, the USPS is far better.

I have run across the phrase "pre-Marvel chipping" to indicate just tears.

So have I, CGC has used that one in the past too. Dumb phrase, should just be "Marvel tearing" or "factory tearing."

Just checked the site and my X-Men #1 is marked as "Graded" :headbang:

I swore i wasn't going to check it online and wait to be surprised but the suspense is KILLING me and it's only been 3 minutes so far!!! lol

Just checked the site and my X-Men #1 is marked as "Graded" :headbang:

I swore i wasn't going to check it online and wait to be surprised but the suspense is KILLING me and it's only been 3 minutes so far!!! lol

...and? What's the grade?

:baiting:

Haven't checked yet but i can tell theres no way i'll be able to wait a few more days. I'm gonna have to check it. I gotta take care of a few things before we open back up at 5 and i'll check then.

I'll post the results in a few minutes. Any last guesses? I forgot what you guessed before but most people went with 8.5. I'd say 8.5 at best or maybe 8.0. Hopefully, it's at least Universal whatever the grade!

Ok, i caved. What can i say, even as a kid, i'd sneak out and open my presents to get a peek. Couldn't take the strain of waiting so here's the results.....

Most of you were right on the money!

Universal 8.5 off-white to white pages

Needless, to say, i'm VERY, VERY happy!!! :whee:

Ok, i caved. What can i say, even as a kid, i'd sneak out and open my presents to get a peek. Couldn't take the strain of waiting so here's the results.....

Most of you were right on the money!

Universal 8.5 off-white to white pages

Needless, to say, i'm VERY, VERY happy!!! :whee:

congrats on the universal grade. :applause: how much did you pay for it back in 1999?

Thank you!

Just under 3K. I dont remember exactly but it was like $2950-2995.

Nice return on a 12 year investment:

( 8.5 ) (2) $13,485 - (2) $11,800 (1) $12,250 $12,250 Sep-2010

Yeah! That's what i was thinking!

A hell of a lot better than the -20% return i got on any freaking stocks i bought back in 99! :censored: